Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#630712 - 06/24/19 07:13 PM What's your 'Horror' story?  
Professor Shadow Online content
Admin
Professor Shadow  Online Content

Admin

Canby, Oregon
Seems that I have three quick stories and for some reason they cabling.

Story One

About my first month in the industry the boss, Bob,hired a guy to install about 50 locations of 25-pr cable for a 1A2 system for the IRS. Walker duct and monuments. When Bob asks the guy if he know how to terminate the cable, "Yeah I know how to terminate...the color code and everything". A couple days later Bob gets a call from the contact person at IRS and states that the guy smells like a brewery. So by the time Bob got there all the cable had installed and terminated. Cut clean one foot inside the telephone closet.

Story Two

The local office of the Federal Highway Administration was relocating to a brand new building and the print was supplied by the customer. All the locations were wall shots for voice (1989-ish don't remember data). I helped cable the office and someone else did the system. Apparently on the cut-over none of the telephone came up because they couldn't plug in their phone that were covered by the new modular furniture. A few days later, once all the core holes were finished, we began installing new cable...after hours...the tenant (Small Business Admin) didn't want us in their space during working hours.

Story Three

I was cabling a 1A2 system using the old 25 pr.Teflon cable (poor color visibility). It was a small job of 50 phones all 10 btn. I had a new co-worker terminate the backboard while I terminated the floor locations with the butterfly tool. Once the terminations were completes the new co-worker left for another job and I worked finishing hanging the 584 and x-connecting. Easy jumpering:

1T, 1R, 1A, A1, LG, 1l, T2, R2, A2, 9A, LG, 2L, 3T, 3R, 3A, 8A, LG, 3L, 4T, 4R, 4A, 7A, LG, 4L, 5T, 5R, 5A, 6A, LG, 5L, 6T, 6R, -, -, LG, 6L, 7T, 7R, B1, R1, LG, 7L, 8T, 8R, LG, 9L, LG, 8L, 9T, 9R.

You just start swinging jumper until your done and power up the system for test...Um, some lamps work and some don't...some dial tone is present and some isn't... WTF! [no, not Welcome to Facebook].

Apparently in new tech never told anyone that he was color blind and reversed the Red's and Yellow's. Took a bit of mind bending to straighten out that mess, albeit I couldn't do it proper and fix the 25 pr I had to work the jumpers. Pity the fool that followed that install!

So what's your story?

Dean
Photographs: https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
NEC search for systems, cards, phones, software, manuals and repairs!
NEC Search Enter Part Number
#630723 - 06/25/19 12:56 PM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: Professor Shadow]  
upstateny Online content
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
upstateny  Online Content
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel

Albany, N.Y. USA
This happened on literally my first installation when I went out on my own.

I got referred in and we had a great meeting about their operation and what they needed out of a phone system. Don't you know at the very end of the meeting he asks when I could do it and I said "well if we have a deal I can order it today, get it within a couple of days and have it installed within a week" and he immediately said to his office manager "get my checkbook please".

So far so good - I also offered to do an after hours cutover to make things easier on everyone. I get there around 4, get set up and take the old KSU off of the wall ….. and see termites - lots and lots of termites ….. behind the wall, in the KSU etc. I thought about it for a minute, went to Home Depot for a piece of plywood, relocated the MDF to the far wall and extended all the station runs over to the new MDF, got to work and finished up around 2 AM.

The next morning there was an intermittent buzzing on one phone …. eventually I figured it out when her Nextel phone rang while troubleshooting.

#630775 - 06/27/19 04:47 PM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: Professor Shadow]  
Daniel Offline
Daniel  Offline

St Louis, MO
Yup, Cellphones would do that all the time. Sometimes still do.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
#630791 - 06/28/19 04:18 PM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: Professor Shadow]  
RonP Offline
RonP  Offline

St Petersburg
This one happened about 15 years ago, in the early days of VoIP/ server based phone systems. I was called to a corporate travel agency/ call center because calls were dropping randomly, about 30 or 40 at a time. I check tHe programming and all looks good, called the carrier who assures me there is no problem with the PRIs. Called into the office seeking a second and third opinion. Called technical no support who were stumped. And all during this time the system is dropping calls every 10 or 15 minutes or so. Shit!! The president of the company is getting ready to fillet me and to make matters worse, the owners wife, a prominent billionaire here in buffalo, stops in for visit and asks me how's it going? Great I say:(. Finally some engineer at the manufacturer asks me if there is antivirus software on the server. Yes there is. He asks me to check to see if it is scanning the software for the phone system and yes it is. So I turn off the scanning and reboot the server and all is well, finally! Turns out the IT person on site installed the antivirus software that caused the issue. Figures.
Sitting in my vehicle afterward, a supervisor sticks her head through the windows and says " I thought there would be a brown bag with a bottle in here" . Not on company time I replied. But once off the clock.......

All-Pro Communications
St Petersburg
www.allprocomm.com
#630803 - 06/29/19 02:14 AM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: Professor Shadow]  
EV607797 Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
EV607797  Offline

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire

Fayetteville, NC
It was the day of our company Christmas party and we absolutely, positively had to be done by 4:00 in order to get to the party on time. We were tasked with wiring an entire DC row house, very old (about c1840). Surprisingly, many of the four pair station runs weren't too bad, thanks to some renovations over the years where modern construction standards were used. We also took advantage of the old standards there, such as balloon framing in some walls, etc. We were a fishing machine. We managed to get about 30 runs done. Our plan was to run the third and fourth floor runs up to a nice little partial attic beside one of the 4th floor offices and feed them with a tie cable. Unfortunately, Bell Atlantic had fed the former tenant that occupied the customers on the upper floors by just running drops overhead from the pole in the rear alley to the window frames, poked through and terminated their lines on jacks along the window sill. Since we had one tenant taking the whole building, with the system being located in the basement, we were tasked with getting a 25 pair tie cable from the FINISHED basement to this little attic space on the fourth floor. Although it had a plywood floor, we managed to figure out a path straight through all floors to the basement. We drilled a 3/4" hole in the floor and with an extension, through the wall's top plate below. Using strings and weights, we managed to get a pull string to drop ALL the way down to the basement. This ended up being the ceiling of a small kitchen down there. Again, by tapping the weight on the ceiling, we pinpointed the spot to make another 3/4" hole in the drywall ceiling that we would patch later. This took several hours, but we got it through with minimal wall damage. By about 2:00, we figured we had enough time to tie the 25 pair onto the string and pull it into place before we had to leave for the party. Although the string and weight got through, there were a few spots where the 25 pair was a bit tight to pull, but after struggling, we managed to get it through and pulled an extra 10 feet into the attic just in case. As we stood there wiping our brows and high-fiving each other for a job well-done, we heard something moving in the attic and went to see what it was. Just as we entered the room, we watched the end of our 25 pair cable falling back through the hole and all the way down to the basement. Nope, we didn't tie it off when we were done pulling it and gravity taught us a lesson.

We still managed to make it to the party on time, DC traffic and all.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#630805 - 06/29/19 03:03 AM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: EV607797]  
Admin

Admin

Canby, Oregon
Originally Posted by EV607797
... we watched the end of our 25 pair cable falling back through the hole and all the way down to the basement. Nope, we didn't tie it off when we were done pulling it and gravity taught us a lesson...

I know the feeling. Downtown Federal building I was by myself pulling (dropping) 25 pr from the 11th Floor IDF to the 7th floor IDF. Carefully...one floor at a time.

Feed about 15 ft of cable, drop down one floor unlock the IDF route the cable.
Once I was on the 7th floor the cable was stuck up high near the ceiling so I gently tugged on the cable and....

Ran up 4 flights of stairs as fast as I could! I managed to stop the reel before it was empty. Luckily it was almost a full reel.

Dean

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
#630824 - 06/30/19 09:22 PM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: Professor Shadow]  
Daniel Offline
Daniel  Offline

St Louis, MO
We were replacing a system that was probably put in in the early 60s. Had a couple of stations up, then we swapped the PRI into the new system. Made test calls in and out, everything worked just fine. Removed the old system from the wall, mounted the new system, and started swinging cross connects. About 2 hours later the operations manager walks in and says the phones aren't working. We frantically try to figure out what is going on. About 2 hours after that with one cellphone talking to ATT and another talking to the system manufacturer we figure out that the existing PRI is 5ESS, and the system only wants NI2. ATT second tier changes the setting in 5 minutes.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
#630831 - 07/01/19 02:53 AM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: Professor Shadow]  
Admin

Admin

Canby, Oregon
Daniel I thought you were going to say you removed the wrong system! But your problem is enough to get your heart racing overtime too.

I've worked in buildings where the telco room or IDF contained multiple identical KSU's. That would have been a real horror story too!

Dean

#630836 - 07/01/19 04:54 AM Re: What's your 'Horror' story? [Re: Professor Shadow]  
Noobed2336 Offline
Noobed2336  Offline

Ridgecrest, CA
First day in a new town with a new job working for phone company. Riding along with another tech. First we almost are killed by a truck swerving into our lane on a narrow mountain road. We get to the first call of the day in the next town over. In a trailer park cable is bad in the park between a pedestal and riser. It's clearly never going to get fixed so we frog pairs to get customer working

While there we meet some local youths getting stoned at 9am
We meet some other youths asking us if we are installing 'silent weapons' which seems to be some sort of tinfoil hat brainwave attack ray.
A lady in her 40s wearing nothing but her nighty walking around the park, she liked us a lot.

Surprisingly in 3 years there I never got another ticket for that trailer park.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Refurbished Phones & Equipment Search
Shout Box
Most Recent 5 Post
2682a Call Director Help Needed
by morephones. 07/19/19 02:40 AM
NS700
by phonman123. 07/19/19 12:14 AM
NTP
by mfecko. 07/18/19 08:35 PM
SV9100 Voice mail to email level
by Derm J. 07/18/19 05:50 PM
Network Emanager
by Jared R. 07/18/19 03:40 PM
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (justbill, JBean3329, Professor Shadow, KRRath, Beracus, Touch Tone Tommy, RM SYSTEMS, jab1780, thill, vicbob, BTS01, ALB300, RNA, BobRobert, sonny88, gelehu, BforBENDETTA, 1864, High Mesa Communications, nfcphoneman, mike b, Yoda, hbiss, Gregco Supply In, crazy canuck, barnito, Keyset6, morephones, gauda1, aswipay, jknichols, pvj, mfecko, upstateny, dexman, MooreTel, C5Z, metelcom, phonman123, tatenda, nameless, newtecky, RedBul, Bob3470, Greg Ercolano), 725 guests, and 774 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Tech Support Line 1.800.766.3425
Over the Phone Tech Support for your Phones and Business Phone Systems
Popular Topics(Views)
Newest Members
gauda1, Gregco Supply In, g6270r, dabcom, carjean
49071 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics92,648
Posts630,275
Members49,071
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Today's Birthdays
dbolduc, DelRossi, fkenney719, micheled, MITELPHONEGUY, SacramentoChad, Velcro
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 31
C5Z 15
Daniel 12
hbiss 10
RESPONSIVE WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT
Free Phone Repair Diagnostic
EMP & Lightning Home Surge Protection
EMP - Click Here!
Servpro Ventura 24-Hour Emergency Service
Free Estimates call us now 24Hours
Contact Us | Telephone System Tech Support | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2019
Trusted Partners
Sitemap