web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
A bit faster than swinging x-connect and the footprint of the KSU is a wee bit smaller too; however, the station cable remains the same.

I can give you a big thumbs up too 👍🏻

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Nicely done!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
> dude wrote on 03/02/18 05:19 PM:
> look at three way amphenol bridging adapters. cpc or pcp.

Ah, replying to this very late (>1year). Yes, those are a good solution actually.

I did buy one of these; found a "KS-19252 L1", C-P-C (Connector-Plug-Connector, or I suppose Female-Male-Female bridge/splitter) on ebay for about $30. Came in the original Amphenol box with paper documentation. Needed it for my Comkey416's, but works for 1A2 as well. A little hard to find in quantity though, but perhaps there's a commercial source. I like to think of them as a "Y-splitter" for 25PR Amphenol connectors, but I guess the correct term in this context is a "bridging adapter". Seems C-P-C is the most useful, since this allows one to have lots of M/F ended cables to layout a large system.

Even made a KS-19242 L1 webpage for the little device so I could link it into my Comkey416 docs, the page showing an all sides view of it, including the inside, and included a scan of the aging paper docs that came with it, along with some example wiring layouts for a KSU. Some pics from that page:
[Linked Image from seriss.com]

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Make sure those phones are not 2564's, and not 2565's. The 65's have their violet pairs configured for a speakerphone, and bridging them together will cause odd problems with lights on phone 1 when phone 2 has buttons depressed, even if hung up.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally Posted by Touch Tone Tommy
Make sure those phones are not 2564's...

Tom, I think you meant make sure that the phones ARE 2564's.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
@TouchToneTommy.. oh, good point -- that's interesting. Looking at the wiring diagram for the 2565GK:

..I highlighted the violet pairs in violet and the signals they affect in cool blue.

I can see the violet pairs get involved with various important circuit paths (highlighted in blue), including all the T/R pairs on the phone side of the pickup keys (PU) on 23 (G-V) and 24 (BR-V), and through the dial button pad on 40 (V-G).

Looks like there's also stuff going on with the A leads and ground on 50 (V-S) and 25 (S-V) via the line switch and pickup keys.

At the head of 502-543-403, in section 2.05 it mentions this:

2.05 When a 2565GK (MD) or 2565GKM telephone set is not used as a speakerphone set and is multipled with any other set furnishing speakerphone feature, speakerphone leads must be disconnected, insulated, and stored either at the telephone set or at the multipling point. If not disconnected, the speakerphone leads will provide a common path between the circuits of the multipled telephone sets. The leads to be removed are as follows:
T1 (V-G), R1 (G-V), IT (V-BR), IR (BR-V), AG (V-S), and LK (S- V).
Speakerphone connections are shown in Section 512-720 -405 .

So I'm guessing those modifications to the inside of the 2565 phone sets might prevent problems with a C-P-C bridge?

Tom, I think you meant make sure that the phones ARE 2564's.

Yup, Ed, you're right! it's been a while (a long while, like 30 years) since I ran into it

OP Offline
So this single board 1a2 KSU project continues to move along; I'm at revision H now (progressing through the alphabet). Thought I'd update with some pics related to these board's assembly process.

Regarding the large amount of cabling when interlinking two of these cards for a total of 8 phones, I found if I simply arrange the boards side by side, one board's connectors can act as a wire comb for the cables of the board above it, making for a nice clean/flat cable run for all 8 phone cables:

Here's what about $350 worth of press-fit amphenol connectors looks like from the supplier (there's actually two levels here, for a total of 40):

When you have that many connectors to mount, one has to get formal with the board assembly procedure.
Had to buy a small drill press to press-fit the Amphenol connectors onto the board, as it was getting to be a real problem to press them on just using a clamp and a jig. Here's a pic of the drill press with the two jigs used to press all those connectors onto the boards (I used 4 per board):

I put the board on the lower jig, put this onto the drill press, and then wind the drill press handles down so that the upper hardwood board presses the connector down onto the board.
Here's a closeup of the two jigs:

It takes a lot of pressure, which to be expected so they don't pop out when the phone connectors are connected/unconnected during use.

And here's 1 of the 2 boxes of relays 50 relays each ordered recently (4 of these relays are used per board), the two boxes together was about $400:

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
QUESTION: Aren't amphenol cables suppose to have 2-3 pounds of ty-wraps?

Sure wish those boards were available 30-40 years ago. Wouldn't have taken up a 4' x 8' backboard.

I think...since you are 'getting with the times', you shouldn't use the nomenclature of revision H, perhaps use rev 1.002 or 2.6b.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
OP Offline
Good that you asked about the revisions.

Yes, I'd considered using #.## universally, but quickly stuck with letters for the boards for a few reasons:

Brevity for one, and to avoid confusion between board revisions and firmware versions, the latter uses #.## with optional letter suffixes.

For instance, it's entirely possible a single board rev (REV-H) can use a wide range of firmware versions, and vice versa.

So I specifically wanted to avoid having a situation like "v3.05 board with v1.37a firmware", as it'd get confusing quickly which number is which.

I did have use number suffixes on board revs a few times, as e.g. REV-G became REV-G1 when I caught a small problem in REV-G.

I'd thought about using model#s, like 1050, 1060, etc. which is how one would handle real products. And perhaps someday I might, once I get out of R&D, which I keep thinking is "this board for sure will be the final one!", lol. Which is exactly how I'm thinking now about the current REV-H.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,112 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (JBean3329, Curlycord), 43 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024