web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#631018 07/09/19 11:32 AM
OP Offline
I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere. Have a WE 551A ksu. I have 3 phone lines, currently 1 phone hooked up. Looking to have all 3 lines when called directly to ring or external buzzer. I understand I'd need the frequency generator to have all lines ring at the handsets. But can I get all lines to go to an external buzzer? I learned the 551 did not come with the 118a FG. This originally had just one line in use, where the yellow/slate pair was on the tip/ring. My question, I have a Bell System yard buzzer from our larger wall system that I'd like to have buzz for all incoming lines. Is this possible with this ksu? I've read several pages on this and so far my wiring combinations have been unsuccessful. I'm transferring from a larger 8 card wall unit to the 551 due to the larger unit acting up in hot weather, and dampness. Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
If you really have a "Yard buzzer", as in one of those big gray ones made by Wheelock, those respond to normal ring voltage (you'll need to confirm this on the name plate). You'd still need a frequency (ring) generator to run this connected to terminals RG and RB in the KSU. The buzzer would connect to any of the B1/R1 outputs. Strap the first three CA terminals together with a single wire for all three lines to ring the buzzer.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Yes, the old grey buzzer, stamped Bell System on front, very very loud. It's responding to ring voltage fine. So it's safe to say that I must have a frequency generator to make 2 or more lines ring independently or piggy back with a buzzer too? I guess I'm not comprehending how this system that didn't come with the 118A FG is supposed to work with multiple phones/lines.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
You could also use one of the 10V or 18V buzzers. Wire RB, RG to the appropriate (10 or 18) voltage and hook up the buzzers to the Y/S.

I worked for GTE for a while and while they didn't have a 551 type KSU their practice 0n the West Coast (NOT on the East Coast!) was to have the incoming lines be signaled by buzzer, not by a ringer. I'm not sure why, but...

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Thanks Ed, I wasn't even thinking that the yard buzzer was higher voltage. I was thinking more like a piezo buzzer until I can find the appropriate Freq Generator. Sam, I ran the jumpers from G+/- and S+/- to RG & RB respectively, and have voltage there. I still have no voltage at the Y/S pair, or at B1/R1. Not sure what I'm missing. Thnx.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well, you won't have voltage at B1 R1 till the call rings in. Then to get the phone to ring you connect Y/S (or Y/O, or Y/G, or whatever pair you have connected to your signaling device) to B1R1.

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 07/10/19 06:23 PM.

OP Offline
I'm testing the B1/R1 terminals while I have the phone ringing, and still no voltage coming through.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OK. Here's the BSP for the 551:

http://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/bsp/550and551/518-215-407.pdf

See page 9

If you've put Ringing power on RG/RB, then when the call rings in you should have ringing voltage on B1/R1.

If you don't...

Check to see if you have ringing voltage coming in on the appropriate T/R. If you don't then the CO is not sending Ringing Voltage (or perhaps not enough). If there's enough voltage then there are two places to troubleshoot - the Line card or the interruptor.

Check this and get back to us.

Sam

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
I always checked for ringing voltage by licking one finger and dragging it across the pins on the 66 block to locate the correct pair.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
There are strapping options on the line cards via the handle on the card. Are they in place? There's rarely any reason to change them, but since what you're telling us doesn't sound right, I had to ask.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024