web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I'm new to the phone system so I apologize if I sound dumb or don't know the correct lingo. I'll do the best I can parroting what I picked up from my phone guy and AT&T.

I need my outbound Caller ID (CNAM) to say our company's name. Is this possible over the IP Flex Circuits that support our PRI cards? I have a Toshiba CIX670 that supports three Centrex Cards, a card for VOIP phones, VM cards and two PRI cards. The PRI cards were added recently and replaced two LDT1 cards. We have plans to upgrade the IP Flex circuits to fiber shortly.

After the last election cycle, I thought this would be a simple request when I approached my Toshiba Tech. Apparently, I was wrong! It's been six months of finger pointing, excuses and abusing my liver. AT&T assures me that all of out lines coming in are tagged with the company name and says our phone system must be stripping it off the outbound calls. Our Toshiba Tech assures me that everything is programmed correctly in the phone system and insists that AT&T has done something wrong. However, our Toshiba Tech only recently identified that we need to upgrade three cards in our phone system to get the Caller ID to work on the Centrex Lines. Even with this revelation he is adamant that AT&T is still why it doesn't work on the PR Cards.

If it is possible, what questions can I ask or information can I provide to the Toshiba Tech the will get us to the promised land?

If it is not possible, can someone recommend anything (third-party software or hardware add-on) that will get our company name to show up on people Caller ID?

Me and my liver thank you for any guidance you can provide.

thanks in advance
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

It's been a while since I worked on a CIX but I can tell you from experience, it's AT&Ts problem. AT&T controls all outbound CNAM. The OLGs in the CIX have the ability to outpulse the DID you want to show up when you call a number from an extension but the CNAM for that DID is handled by the carrier, in your case AT&T. Out of curiosity what does the caller ID say when you call an outside number? Does it say your main phone number but the name of your town instead of your company name? Or does it show something like unavailable?

The CIX is a really solid system.

-Daniel

I get this question a lot. On the CIX their is a field that was added to out-pulse a name, but this isn't used in the US, In the US the receiving carrier will change the phone number with a CNAM database when the call comes to them.

Basically on a PRI the CIX can send out the DID (if the carrier allows) but the names are added by the carrier. If AT&T are blaming the PBX (pretty typical for carriers now days) then that person is incorrect. AT&T needs to make this change to the database.

Just googling around:
https://www.sotelips.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/78/24/how-cnam-works
** Although their statement "Generally, the caller-ID number is almost never wrong" doesn't account for caller ID spoofing.

https://blog.flowroute.com/2015/12/02/what-is-cnam-and-how-can-it-work-for-your-business/

https://www.opencnam.com/faq/cnam-basics/115002638454-Where-does-CNAM-data-come-from-
"Where does CNAM data come from?
CNAM data is supplied by the telephone carrier who owns the telephone number and is populated in the authoritative repository that the carrier selects to store its CNAM values. "

https://www.opencnam.com/faq/cnam-b...e-that-is-displayed-when-I-call-someone-
"How do I change the name that is displayed when I call someone?
Official CNAM values can only be changed by your telephone service provider or carrier."

https://support.sip.us/hc/en-us/articles/360015059391-What-is-CNAM-

OP Offline
This has been very educational! The number that is broadcast is our 800 number. Our 800 number is owned by our long distance provider which is different from AT&T. So my issue is not with AT&T or my CIX670! Those are doing everything they are supposed to do! To get them to do what I need them to do, I have two options: Have the CIX670 broadcast the DID numbers associated with the IP Flex circuits or have our long distance provider update the CNAM databases with our company name! Hope it is just that easy!

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction and expanding my knowledge on this subject. I will keep you updated on this little project!

thanks in advance
OP Offline
So, it still doesn't work! I had our phone guy change the number in the phone system. First, he changed set it up to show whichever number was randomly grabbed from our IP Flex circuit. Called several people and found everyone received the same number from our block of numbers, no company name. He then changed it to be a set number, we used our main local number that is associated with our AT&T account. Made several more test calls. Everyone received that number and no company name.

AT&T still insists that it is our issues and want to set up a Vendor Meet, at my expense. smile

Several years ago, we had a Toshiba DK something or other. We upgraded to the CIX670. Prior to the upgrade, I remember our company name used to pop up on my Caller ID at home. So, I know this can work.

Are there any other settings or anything we could try before scheduling a Vendor Meet?

Thinking of changing my member name to at&t hater!

thanks in advance
If you are in the US there is nothing you can change on your end/in the PBX. The issue is with AT&T, which is not surprising, but they are definitely giving you the run around. Did you just change from a regular PRI to IP Flex?

OP Offline
No. We have always been IP Flex.

thanks in advance
Originally Posted by cix670 hater
Thinking of changing my member name to at&t hater!

I would think that this name may already be taken. I think every phone tech has heard the words, "Everything looks good on our side. It could be a problem with the PBX".

if the PBX is correctly passing the phone number to the carrier, then I don't see anything else the Toshiba PBX could be doing.

Have your tech look at the D-Channel when making an outbound call and it will show you exactly what the CIX is sending towards the carrier (AT&T). If pbx has number and or name programmed, you will see that in the D-Channel.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
You need to produce an ISDN PRI trace output to identify what the CIX is sending to AT&T.

This is not supported over here at all on PRI with the CIX system.

Regards
Carl

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024