web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#637712 08/01/20 01:15 AM
CHBDC Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm in a bit of a bind! Problems with an old Samsung Officeserv 7400. I recently started working here and one of my first tasks is to replace the phone system (!) but it seems steps had already been taken down that road - maintenance contracts have been cancelled.

We had an issue in the computer room with power supply. A poor installation involving a 32A fuse, 40A supplies, and an unfused 20A switch. Unlikely to be a problem given the light load we run, but needs to be resolved.
So - in order of actions:

Officeserv 7400 system powered on and working.

Used Officeserv Device Manager to Halt the SVMi-20 - the SDN LED changed from red to green.
Powered down using the switch on the back of the cabinet; removed the power cable.
Had the electrical issues (partially) corrected - a return visit is required, but that's another story.

Reconnected the power cable, powered the 7400 up again using the power switch.
Checked LEDs - all showed as before I had Halted - the SDN LED was red. (Don't know if a Halt is cancelled by a power off/on.)
A network connection is showing on the MP40 and on the network switch.
However, the system can no longer be connected to from Device Manager, and I cannot ping it - I get 'Destination host unreachable'.

. C:\Windows\system32>ping 192.168.1.8

. Pinging 192.168.1.8 with 32 bytes of data:
. Reply from 192.168.1.127: Destination host unreachable.

. Ping statistics for 192.168.1.8:
. Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

192.168.1.127 is my host address.

I've cleared the ARP cache on my local PC - no change in result to ping.
Curiously, an IP scan does return a result and resolves the network name, but I suspect there may be some other issues in Active Directory as a ts-esx also replies and resolves a name but (as far as I know) this was decommissioned months ago.
IP phones are *not* working.
Digital phones do work and external calls are fine.
I can ping other devices on the LAN and remotely access them.

I considered using the 'Reset' button on the front of the MP40 but cannot find any documentation to tell me what that actually does - stop/start, or clear programming?

If you are able to offer any insight, that would be wonderful.

Thanks

Last edited by CHBDC; 08/01/20 01:17 AM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
Do the digital phones have the correct names on the phone?
Do incoming calls ring correctly?

I expect the system had lost is programing. If you're lucky you can restore from the sd card in the mp40. Or if someone made a backup via dm you can restore that

CHBDC Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll need to check for a backup but I'm not holding my breath for that.

I have a digital (not IP) phone on my desk. That still displays my name. I didn't check the time on it - will do that tomorrow.
Not too may incoming calls on a Saturday. smile Not so easy to check that as most of our phones don't have DDI numbers, and the main incoming line is diverted to an out of hours service until Monday morning. I could change that, but need to be able to connect via DM first.

I can ping the voicemail card.

What does the reset button on the MP40 actually do?

Last edited by CHBDC; 08/01/20 02:55 AM.
Moderator-Samsung
Moderator-Samsung
Do you know how-to find/change the ip address on the system?
You do it from the digital phone.
Otherwise you can plug direct into the mp40 and run wireshark and you should see an arp request from it.

CHBDC Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by nameless
Do you know how-to find/change the ip address on the system?
You do it from the digital phone.
Otherwise you can plug direct into the mp40 and run wireshark and you should see an arp request from it.

I used to build Mitel systems... SX2000s, MN3300ICPs. And Nortel kit, so I'm familiar with programming from a handset. Just never done it on Samsung.
Transfer 800, passcode, and... Then I'm lost.

Once in programming check 830 and 831 for IP addresses. After changing the IP on 830, you will need to do a restart for it to take. 831 same way

CHBDC Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks folks.
I'll update with progress in the morning.

CHBDC Offline OP
OP Offline
The plot thickens.

The instructions I've been given worked beautifully - thanks again. And on entering 830, the phone displays 192.168.1.8 - the address I expected to see. Default gateway is correct, subnet mask is correct.
So somewhere along the line, it's just decided to not 'talk' to the network, despite showing a connection light on the MP40- and the network switch. No change in responses overnight - still 'Destination Host Unreachable'.

831 gives me an address of 192.168.1.11, which I *can* ping - this isn't resolving a name. I'll go through the manual and find out what that refers to.

For reference - 192.168.1.9 responds and name resolution suggests voicemail; 192.168.1.10 appears to be cti.

I can change the IP address but I think a reboot is required for that to take effect. The Officeserv 7000 Series Call Server Programming book suggests a 'System Restart' option in programming which is self-explanatory... Our 7400 offers a 'System Reset' which is a little more troubling! (Probably the same thing in this scenario - can anyone confirm?)

CHBDC Offline OP
OP Offline
I've found Transfer 811 and very carefully used it to restart the system, avoiding any 'clear' feature.

Now follows a period of anxiety!

System rebooted. I'm able to make outbound calls (again) - that was never an issue from a digital phone, only the IP phones (which were not connecting to the server).
Checking inbound is considerably more difficult - most of our extensions are internal only - no DDI - and the front desk is set to transfer calls out of hours.

Still unable to ping the MP40. As a test, I changed the address from 192.168.1.8 to 192.168.1.7. same lack of response to a ping - 'Destination host unreachable'. All LEDs on the card and the network switch suggest everything is working as expected.
I've changed this back to .8.

Last edited by CHBDC; 08/01/20 06:23 PM.
CHBDC Offline OP
OP Offline
UPDATE cheers

I've been around the block a few times in IT, in far too many years.
Bear in mind that the system worked, the DM connected, and we had no issues, before the carefully planned power down/power on. It was post-power on that issues occurred.
The MP40 has a 10/100 network interface. It had been connected to a Juniper EX2300 10/100/1000 POE switch.
Out of curiosity I pulled an old HP 10/100 switch out of the 'just-in-case' box, hooked it up, connected the MP40 (OS 7400) to it and.. It works!

Why the connection should have been lost, I do not know. I'll have a look at configuring a port on the Juniper to remove POE and Gigabit functionality, and see if connectivity is retained, but for now - it'll be the single connection in a 24-port switch.
I've been 'round and checked all IP phones - all are working as expected.

While the very useful suggestions I've received here weren't the answer, it has (with hindsight!) been a great experience, and I thank you. champs

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024