web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#639337 12/19/20 10:02 PM
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Going old school with this question. smile

I, vaguely, remember a topic about JK cable.

Part of the discussion, if my memory is correct, mentioned that the familiar green, red, black and yellow cable was used for Princess phones. Red/green for audio/signaling/dialing while the black/yellow was the power pair connected to the external transformer.

Was JK intended to be used to wire only a single telephone line, or, was it produced to be able to support two lines from the get-go? ponder

Due to the lack of twisting, crosstalk would be an issue for long runs.

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Last edited by Professor Shadow; 12/19/20 10:48 PM.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Bingo! I was looking in the Cabling forum as opposed to the 1A2.

Danka Professor! bowdown

I Love FEATURE 00
my earliest recollection is that the yellow was used most of the time between protector and ts to provide independent ground for party line ringing and party identification for billing purposes. jk could not accommodate the wire needs for the five conductor early trimline or princess models.

HE SEEMS TO BE SAYING SOME KIND OF WORDS
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Was the cable only three conductors? If it had four, what was the black used for? ponder

I Love FEATURE 00
The old original station wire was 20 gauge 3 wire, it replaced the 3 wire braded wire which was originally cloth cover, than rubber, no jacket.

Retired phone dude
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
I've seen the three wire braded cable. I think that I might have a few small sections stashed away in the basement. Based upon the discussions, it seems that JK wasn't intended to support two POTS lines despite having four conductors.

A while back, I had combined my church's two voice lines onto a single JK cable which ran about a total of 10 linear feet between the Verizon H-202 cabinet and the 66 block I had installed as a demarc.

After the church service ended today & the 4 or 5 people left the building, I pulled a hank of JK out of my stock and moved the second voice line over to it. I suppose such a short run between the cabinet and the 66 block wouldn't pose a crosstalk issue, but, I figured that I would separate the lines again. ponder

I Love FEATURE 00
Because the wires are not twisted pairs it was never intended to support two POTS lines. Problem is crosstalk. That's not to say that it was never used for two lines, you can get away with it but the longer the cable the better the possibility you can have crosstalk problems. (And don't ask me how long because I have no idea.) I remember that you will hear the ringing from one line while the other is in use.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
With all of the other POTS cables being CAT3, (and not experiencing any crosstalk), I figured that I might as well separate the two lines.

Now this brings up an interesting point. The daycare that leases space from us is has two POTS lines (1 voice & 1 fax) and two DSL feeds.

It seems that New England Telephone ran both phone lines from the telephone closet to the other side of the building via one JK and the other cable just has the voice line.

The distance between the phone closet (aka my office) and the daycare's areas is, roughly, 70' to 80'. I'm surprised that, after 30+ years, that nobody from the daycare hasn't complained about fax/data bleeding onto the voice line.

Then again, they had wall phone plugged in without a DSL filter for many years. A few months ago, I grabbed an unused filter and connected it to the phone for them on a day when they were closed.

I Love FEATURE 00
Then again, they had wall phone plugged in without a DSL filter for many years.

How the heck did the DSL work? The ringer would have killed it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 13
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 106 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024