Business Phone Systems

AtcomCloud Online Store
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#643059 07/02/22 06:29 PM
OP Offline
Like many other areas in business, COVID has been a game changer.

We have been outright refusing jobs from one contractor simply because we can never get an accurate Scope of Work. When we take the job, we discover the SOW is much greater than was given and the contractor doesn't want to pay. We are then expected, again with no compensation, to PM the job. We explained why we don't take jobs, then crickets. Fine by me...

Another contractor sent a bad SOW. Again, I pointed out that I will not PM the SOW. That is between them and their customer. I am simply the hands that go out to do the work.

We have a so called "special" relationship with another contractor. We then found out they have been farming out to Field Nation. I realize there are many reputable contractors on that site but I have also seen, and had to clean up after, many "low bidders".

One discussion I had was a lecture about how we need to work together to help our so called mutual customers. I stopped that in the tracks by pointing out, they are not my customer because if I approached them to work as an individual, you would take some sort of action against me according to our agreement.

A necessary evil but you can control the interactions. You have a business plan for a reason. If they don't want to work with you, let them find someone else. Just because they service the big boxes doesn't equate to more business for you. I would rather have a few high quality jobs under my belt than many "dog" jobs. The nationals and their clients are simply, in many cases, looking for the low bidder.

Just my $.02 (well $.005 with inflation)...

Michael Meyer
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
Admin
Admin
Yep. I'd rather not work and not get paid than work for someone else and not get paid. Other than personal contacts from this and a few other boards I shy away from nationals. Too much heartburn for too little return. YMMV.

[Linked Image]
We haven't done anything for nationals for years. Painful!!

Like many other areas in business, COVID has been a game changer.

What does covid have to do with these guys? I was hoping that you were going to tell us that many nationals had gone out of business.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Sadly, no. They are bottom feeding for techs on Field Nation. There is an interesting Reddit thread where you can see the same bad actors that used to be prevalent here.

Slow pays, no pays, change the scope up on you when you get there, sigh...

https://www.reddit.com/r/FieldNationTechs/

Last edited by Meyery2k; 10/02/22 03:44 AM.

Michael Meyer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,689
Posts636,192
Members49,607
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
AusTXnewbie, flywifiguy
Newest Members
AGITELCHILE, Uranium-235, grahamw, Motel6Guy, JustAGuy
49,607 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 12
Yoda 9
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 32 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems & VoIP | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022