web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#643202 07/24/22 11:08 AM
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I never thought this late in my career I'd be working with an AT&T 5ESS! Of course it's being decommissioned, but it has at least a few years to go, which at that point I may be retired. The site as ISDN/Avaya 8510 phones that I've worked with before with a previous company's Definity PBXs. Also didn't think I'd use Procomm again! It all comes back to me.

I wonder - does anyone here still work with the 5ESS?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I don't work with the switch itself, but I work with a bunch of ISDN/BRI and PRI customers in the DC metro area that are still using them. Where I live in NC, even the local independent telco uses the 5E and remotes just about everywhere. They were put in when Sprint owned the territory in the late 80s. In this area, I only work with them for ISDN/PRI and POTS customers, but they sure are reliable from a service and troubleshooting perspective. I'm going to hate to see them go.

LINK: CAROLINA TELEPHONE, A.K.A: CENTURYLINK

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
When I worked for Global Crossing back in the early 2000's, AT&T Local had a 5E in the same building as us. I didn't have the opportunity to walk around the rows of frames, but it seemed like a good switch from what their technicians said. We had a DSC DEX-600E, Nortel DMS-500 and later a Sonus packet switch.

Verizon has a 5E in my town, but it is going to be coming out of service once the Copper OSP Retirement project is completed. It is my understanding that Nokia is now supporting the 5E

I Love FEATURE 00
one of the main switches in Cleveland is a 5ESS
https://www.telcodata.us/view-switch-detail-by-clli?clli=CLEVOH6262F
the other is a DMS100

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds like there's still quite a few 5ESS systems around. Yes, they're now supported by Nokia. We've got many ISDN and or Avaya 8510 phones on the system. Unlike the 8510s on the Avaya PBXs I've worked with, these are powered by a power supply typically in the IDF closet. I was surprised that the branches in other parts of the state don't have a 5ESS on site in their buildings, but are served by the local CO, including 8510 phones. Those use a 'U' interface card, meaning 2 wire. At the site there's an NT1 interface that converts that to 4 wire to the phone (+ the power pair). Some of the more remote buildings at the main site use the U interface, while closer runs use 4 wire, or a 'T' interface.

Interesting copper retirement projects are going on that will make a CO like this pretty much obsolete. In the mean time, good to know there's still a place for tip & ring and older telecom guys like me. Of course I work with VoIP, but the old switches will be around for a while. The voicemail system is Cisco, Octel up until several years ago.

Ironically, the BOC in this state (Southern Bell/BellSouth/AT&T) uses DMS offices almost exclusively. For some odd reason, upon divestiture, BellSouth elected to distance itself as far as possible from AT&T. They did so as far down as OSP hardware purchases. I'm not sure how they handled embedded iSDN/BRI accounts. Since most government agencies that I've ever encountered used CO-based Centrex services and ISDN phones, I'd think that somehow these sets continued to be supported by these DMS switches. Does anyone know if the DMS could emulate ESS protocol? I'm sure that since ISDN is a universal standard, it must have been possible.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Then years later, Bell South acquired AT&T. Go figure. laugh

I Love FEATURE 00
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Interesting Bell South acquired AT&T! Don't know if an AT&T ISDN phone would work on a DMS. There are some limitations with the particular 5ESS I work on, such as no name display. I don't recall if the AT&T Definity and Prologic systems had a name option with the extension.

An option I never heard of with the PBXs is multipointing. Two ISDN sets can use the same LEN, or port. The SPID in the phone, 01(7 digits)0 designates which extension it is. Makes sense with BRI being 2B+D. A SPID isn't necessary with one phone on a LEN. I haven't installed one, but the frame tech says the 2 pairs from the LEN are just paralleled. Practical initially, but with moves/changes and one of the phones moving to a different building or even just a different floor will mean the multipoint will need to become separated.

Southwestern Bell bought out AT&T and took the AT&T name in 2005. They acquired Bell South in 2007.

Retired phone dude
1 member likes this: EV607797
That's what I thought, Bill. I knew something didn't seem right with the talk of BellSouth buying AT&T. Thanks for the clarification.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,706 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (mongo5150, Curlycord, JBean3329), 109 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024