web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Ok...I got the "South" part correct. grin

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I lost track of who now owns who, what company acquired another, etc. It seems most companies with a local reference in their name are gone, such as banks that have a state, city/town or region in their name. Southern New England Telephone was acquired by Frontier Communications a few years ago, I'll sometimes still refer to the local telco as SNET.

If anyone still works on the 5ESS or knows - I wonder if there's a way to have an extension, or TN, go directly to voicemail without being on a port, or LEN? We have many spare analog LENs with more to come, but I haven't come up with a way to do it yet. Looked at some main department numbers in the system that go to a menu, those were on LENs.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
If the 5Es are going away and the DMS is going away and the GTD-5s are gone....

What's left?

What is running the Network!?!?!?!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes the migration to VoIP has been underway for a few years, but due to Covid and other reasons it's been a very slow one.

I helped out a couple times in the switchroom moving cable pairs for the techs. It wasn't with a punch down tool, but a manual wire wrap tool! It's been many years since I've used one of those. Old technology is still here, for a little while at least. I still have a highly modified 1A2 system at home. Behind the living room couch is a 25 pair cable connected to a 66 block. One of several 'IDFs' in the house. Unlike the 5ESS I work with, the home system won't be decommissioned.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Verizon is migrating to packet switching switches. I suppose in areas where FiOS isn't available, Verizon will migrate users to the new switches and reuse existing OSP copper. ponder

I Love FEATURE 00
To answer Ed's question, AT&T gear that understood NI-1 and NI-2 was never the issue. It was AT&T's older "Custom" protocol that was a very minor hurdle for DMS. The old saw was to ask the switch guy to use NTNAPRI and set the sub-trunk L1 Flag to yes. My stuff would be optioned as DMS100.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
We had a guy come fly in to train a couple of new guys who will work primarily on the switch and frame. He asked me to give a basic configuration lesson to them. You can tell he's an old C.O, guy - what I refer to as software and config he calls it 'Translations'.

When I was with Siemens I did a lot of PRI work. NI-2 I believe was the most common D-Channel protocol, I think 5ESS was an option too.

Guilty as charged using "translations". I still have a habit of using terms that aren't as familiar or PC these days: I still say "dike" and "buttset" or might suggest using a "slave printer" or other device when I should say "dedicated" (but that's what we said in the 70's and 80's). "Strap DTR high" or "Strap 'autoanswer' to on" might be better read today as "set". A little off topic. Thanks Keyset6.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Keyset6 Offline OP
OP Offline
You're welcome dagwood systems. I assume you're referring pin 20 on a Db25 connector for 'DTR high', meaning for a modem. I think I could usually get a modem operational with pins 1,2,3,4,5, 6 & 20. 7 was sometimes connected to 1 (ground).I wouldn't consider this totally off topic - I'm told the company that supports the 5E remotely 'dials in' a couple times a day via modem.

The other terms you mentioned I consider common. Even T, R, A, A1, LG, L I understand.

Last edited by Keyset6; 09/12/22 10:45 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024