web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#643483 09/10/22 01:56 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
I'm embarrassed to say that despite my decades of working with Vodavi systems, I believe I've encountered a dilemma where I may be in over my head. I've supported plenty of these systems that are interconnected via IP, but none were from scratch. In this instance, the main system (hub) contains three fully-populated XTS cabinets, one virtual cabinet containing virtual station ports, and one remote site (node) using an XTSc cabinet, connected via a telco-provided point to point circuit in a remote building.

Adding to this mix, we are networked to a separate Ascom nurse intercom system also connected via a copper PRI circuit on-premises.

The hub system is maxed out at three cabinets providing 252 stations. Because the building being added is fed by a 300 pair copper cable, the most logical solution for expansion would have been to add a fourth cabinet to the hub and equip it with the appropriate number of digital station cards and just keep on growing. The problem is that the custom cable that is used to connect the MPB-E processor to new cabinet's LMU-E card. Yes, this would be an economical solution since there are plenty of available copper pairs next door. There are two major obstacles with this approach:

1. There is absolutely NO room left in the main telephone equipment room, as in ZERO.
2. To make matters worse, this custom interconnection cable is as rare as hen's teeth. It is made from "unobtainium",

The concept of the remotely-located cabinet being connected via IP networking seemed to be a no-brainer. As a matter of fact, it was a perfect solution to this dilemma. The concept worked well, at least on paper. We got the networking code from Vertical for the new node and connected 24 port VOIBE cards between them using dedicated CAT5e tie cable (crossed over). Again, it's been a long time since we've ever encountered such an undertaking. Not to mention that I've never built one like this from scratch. I have the networking tables built in both the hub and node systems, IP addresses assigned with one digit in the last octet different, etc. That's where it stops.

I have put a new block of 60 DID numbers into routing table 4, and the station numbering plan is established in order to keep the new and unique station numbers at the new site. Direct-selecting trunks from either system returns dial tone, but no dialing ever completes.

If this doesn't complicate things enough, I'm working blind from over 300 miles away. All of our seasoned technicians have long since retired, so we are relying upon a much younger and different breed of "technicians". They're not really able to do much thinking and troubleshooting on their own and don't offer much in the way of cooperation without argument. I spoke with one of our senior techs recently who has been out of the game for about five years now. He tried to offer some level of providing second opinion troubleshooting, but like me, his hands are tied without being on-site or at least in communication with one of the current more experienced techs.

Keep in mind that today's definition of a seasoned technician is one who knows more than four pair color codes and patch panels. Finding a technician who understands tip and ring is even a challenge. What I'm hoping for is to find someone here who may have encountered a similar situation who can offer some suggestions or better yet, some accurate notes from a prior experience along these lines. I'm truly desperate at this point, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Online Happy
Admin
Dang, wish I could help but have 0 experience on Vodavi. Sound like you're close - maybe just a restriction table blocking you or something?

Is there a status page where you can tell that the new node is talking with the original system?

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
Ed,
Could it be Trunk group access for all desired extensions?
Gary

oobie #643675 10/13/22 01:15 AM
OP Offline
Gary,
The new node does seize a trunk in the tie group for a call attempt, but nothing occurs after that (dead air). The same thing occurs when direct-selecting a trunk, receiving dial tone from the hub system, but nothing happens upon completion of dialing the call, just dead air again.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (hitechcomm, nortelvoip), 164 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024