Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6450 06/17/05 03:30 PM
RCR Offline OP
OP Offline
I specified 3/4" Plywood with FR Paint on the wall. I walk in today, and they've put sheetrock on the wall with metal studs behind it. I will be using a Wall Mount Cabinet with a plexglass door, a battery backup, router, switch, and patch panel in it. Should it be ripped out and wood studs installed?
The metal studs are 16" oc

Highest Regards,

Rodney
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Why?

I'd be more concerned with air flow through that cabinet, and the grounding then the studs and sheetrock.
Please complete your profile.

------------------
Reliable Telephone Service

RCR Offline OP
OP Offline
I filled out what I saw to fill out.
Thanks, I was a bit miffed when I wrote that. I'm not a big advocate of metal studs and frankly, I worry a bit about thier ability to hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood. As for the grounding and venting, I should have that covered.

Highest Regards,

Rodney
Administrator
Administrator
Metal studs have been used here in FL for 20 years. Mostly in the high rises but more and more in single story complexes. Your going to need help holding up the plywood to install the first dozen screws but then again you would on wood studs also. Head to Home Depot and get self starter drywall screws made for the metal studs. You may need to put a screw every 8 to 10 inches but the metal stud will hold.

------------------
ssimpson@oneringtelecom.com Need a Telrad Programmer Kit? Telrad Programmer Kits

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
When I first encountered the metal studs, years ago, I was a bit upset too, but I asked the carpenters there what they used for fasteners---since then, I do just what SSphone said----go to HD or a Farm & Fleet and pick up those self-tapping metal screws. Also--- toggle bolts still work. I picked up a box here the other day... sometimes they come in real handy.

RCR Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm gonna have to rate you guys right up there with the guys at www.tractorbynet.com [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

In small town america, we don't ever see metal studs. I've a REAL phone guy that will do my terminations and phone system. I just run the phone since I prefer to run my own data. No one cares like I do, since I'm the guy left behind to deal with it. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Highest Regards,

Rodney
should we be insulted that you compare us to tractors?

RCR Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh lord no! Those guys are about the smartest, nicest bunch of folks you ever met. It is a great place to have available whether you need to know how to rebuild a carb or what brush hog to buy. You'd actually have something in common with them right off the bat. You hook up phone lines, they/I dig them up with a backhoe.. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Highest Regards,

Rodney
Been there a couple times here’s what I did, knowing the plywood was going to cover the
work I cut access holes ( 2 ) each between the studs ( number each one for patching
later ) where the plywood was going to go, one up high and one down low, then using a
short piece of track (stronger than a metal stud) place it so the channel is looking at you
and tack it to the stud with either tec screws or stingers 8-10 each, then take some
strips of plywood say 6-8” x 16” and screw from the front through the studs and into the
plywood braces with long sheetrock screws, do this at each hole you made, then put the
cut out pieces back in there numbered holes and patch with tape and mud, no need to
sand or finish as the plywood is going to cover the work and not to infringe on the fire
rating of the wall.
Do a little layout of the wall before you begin anything , that way any hardware you
choose to mount the plywood sheet to the wall (and into the bracing you have placed)
will not be in the way of any brackets, conduit routes etc. I would use toggle bolts with
fender washers to hold the plywood sheet up. Since a picture is worth a thousand words
here goes my attempt…….

][<-track ______ ][_____________][_____________][___________]
plywood braces here

Hope this helps, it has always worked for me even with switches and batterys on the
same wall…………………….

[This message has been edited by FiberTech (edited June 24, 2005).]

Keep The Old Stuff Running
Well it seems the editor is not WYSISWYG sorry
for the way it looks on the post as its not what I had edited, couldnt find a way to remove
it but I hope the idea was put through...maybe cut and paste it back into the posting editor and the picture would be more clear....Later

Keep The Old Stuff Running
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,319 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Carl Navarro, nortelvoip), 96 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024