web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65465 01/17/11 10:32 AM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
hey everyone! i'm the new IT guy for a company based in california. they have an existing phone setup with Inter-Tel (Inter-Tel 5000), Oaisys Tracer system, and we use Inter-Tel's Session Manager to get into the DB Studio.

My problem is last week we had to move a few desks around and their corresponding phone (extension). Everything went great except that I had to come into the DB Studio to play musical extensions until they were properly adjusted. This was because i discovered that when i removed a phone from one desk and took it to another, it would still show up having the old extension (almost like it was hard coded into the phone or something).

I can see from inside the DB Studio under "Devices and Feature Codes" and "Endpoints" it lists all the extensions that are on the system (even some unused ones). It also shows the Type as Digital Endpoint and an Address (1:05.02.01, etc). My thoughts are it would be easier to change the address (keeping the endpoint and username configuration) than to try to shuffle everything around each time i want to move a phone.

long story short, i need to know how to move a phone from one desk and simply change the address of that extension to allow that phone to stay the same (not have to change username, features, programmed keys, etc.)

thanks in advance and sorry if thats confusing lol.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#65466 01/17/11 11:44 AM
Moderator-Inter-Tel
Moderator-Inter-Tel
Welcome to the forum Alupis!

Digital phones will not keep their extension when you move them, however IP phones will since the extension is hard coded to their MAC address.

You can do extension swaps through DB Programming, but it can prove to be a little confusing if you don't have any experience with it. There is no way to do the extension swaps in DB Programming by just tweaking the address. It involves deleting and re-creating extensions so the voicemail boxes will remain associated all the while making sure to add the deleted extension back into HG's, extension lists, etc. to keep the original programming in tact. I would HIGHLY recommend getting your vendor involved if that's the route you want to take.

Your other option would be to re-punch the jumpers or move the patch cables depending on your setup.

Your final option would be to do a swap through a phone with Administrator features. I'm not in front of a system right now to tell you the steps but your vendor could probably get you that information as well. This is very quick and easily done.

#65467 01/17/11 11:52 AM
To swap extensions from an Admin phone: Press
'Infinity Key', 9932,242, Enter 1st extension and pound (#), Enter 2nd extension and pound (#).

Wave hands in the air as if there will be no repercussions.

#65468 01/17/11 12:01 PM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
hmm... i'll have to look at this tomorrow when i get some time. thanks for the quick reply guys!

so if i'm understanding it correctly the only way to move a phone is to move the extensions thorugh DB because the "Address" is actually the physical phone line thats attached to the Inter-Tel boxes? as in each line has its own address and each phone has its own extension (extensions can be changed but not addresses unless if i change the physical cable layout in the server closet)

hope i'm getting that right. thanks.!

#65469 01/17/11 12:32 PM
Correct, except in PBX-talk they are called ports. The port address is related to the card slot on the chassis. For example, the keyset card in slot 4 contains ports 4.1 to 4.16.

Doing a station swap from the admin phone is definitely the easiest way for a non-PBX guy to change extensions. The only real down side is they need to be one-for-one swaps. It can get tricky when moving a bunch of people.

If you don’t know which one is the admin phone, here’s a tip. Leave the handset off-hook on a random phone. After a minute or so, the admin phone will display an off-hook alarm.

If you’re going to maintain this system for a while, I’d buy a punch tool and learn how to use it.

#65470 01/17/11 12:34 PM
The 'address' is the node, slot, card, and port that each particular phone is attached to.
Example...
your 1:05.02.01 would be node 1, card 5, slot 5, port 1 and could in theory be any extension...say 105. For whatever reason you decide to move the person on extension 105 to a different office. The old way would be to actually move jumpers, every time. With the newer systems it can be done through programming, as the others have said.

You have it correct in your last paragraph-

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#65471 01/18/11 03:32 AM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
hmm... ok so say i need to move 5 offices to the other side of the building... correct steps for me to take would be:

1) Move all the stuff from one office to the other
2) Log into DB Studio (Programming? same thing???) and move the old and new extensions to blank temp holding extensions (to free up the extensions i want to use)
3) then flip the extensions so that they are now in the correct place for the office

i'm assuming thats what ill have to do each time ( which is what i've been doing). so i guess the phones wont loose programming or functions due to the move since those are hard coded into the phone?

so i guess there is no faster way to move phones than this juggling act of extensions lol... unless if i want to start moving wires on the PBX...

#65472 01/18/11 03:49 AM
Nothing is hard coded into the phone. Everything is in the wire...You can put the phone wherever you want, the extension is tied to the port that the particular jack is connected to.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#65473 01/18/11 04:03 AM
Alupis Offline OP
OP Offline
oh i see... since the DB Studio software is programming the Inter-Tel boxes the extension and info is programmed in there for the port... so its regardless of which phone is plugged in as long as its extension is there the phone will maintain all of its features, programmed keys etc.

sorry if i'm being redundant... just trying to fully understand the system.

thanks!

#65474 01/18/11 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Alupis:
hmm... ok so say i need to move 5 offices to the other side of the building... correct steps for me to take would be:

1) Move all the stuff from one office to the other
2) Log into DB Studio (Programming? same thing???) and move the old and new extensions to blank temp holding extensions (to free up the extensions i want to use)
3) then flip the extensions so that they are now in the correct place for the office

i'm assuming thats what ill have to do each time ( which is what i've been doing). so i guess the phones wont loose programming or functions due to the move since those are hard coded into the phone?

so i guess there is no faster way to move phones than this juggling act of extensions lol... unless if i want to start moving wires on the PBX...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, justbill), 125 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024