web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#67301 03/21/12 07:03 PM
Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
This past week I moved a clients office to a new location. On Friday afternoon I went into their network closet and shut down the phone system and their network hardware and removed it all (taking careful notes of the wiring). Sunday I went to the new office (phone system was in my van in the meantime) and started installing everything. When we power on the phone system it cycles through, I plugged in a monitor and see one spot where it shows an Invalid Board ID (right after the AXXESS Entry Point Driver is booted - think it is version 6.2 maybe 8.2)

Anyway, the boot continues, and then hangs on a message that it is disabling the lamp on x207 (it disables on several other extensions before this one).

I'm hoping someone can direct me to some things to try to get this phone system functional again. They are considering just pulling it all out and going with a basic 4-line phone setup, and they are a small office so that would probably be fine, but I hate to have a job I worked on non-functional. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I did attempt to log into the system through a browser (using the IP address I see assigned to the phone system). And it comes up with a username/password prompt, but I have no idea what those may be. Most likely defaults, but if anyone can send me a DM or email with options to try I'd appreciate that as well. Because it replies with this I am assuming the system is mostly online, just something that became scrambled (or a card faulted during the move?) Possibly batteries were not sufficient to maintain some settings?

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone has some suggestions to lead me in a direction towards a solution.

Greg

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Sounds like the CPU battery was dead, so the phone system database is history. The voice mail database resides on the hard drive, so that’s most likely intact.

If there is a copy of the database kicking around, a dealer might be able to restore it (and replace the battery). Otherwise, it’s time to start from scratch.

Unfortunately, the customer’s gamble on not paying a professional to do the work came back to bite them.

Admin
Admin
Originally posted by DND ON:

Unfortunately, the customer’s gamble on not paying a professional to do the work came back to bite them.
That comment really was not called for you are ASSUMING just because the OP is not familiar with the InterTel they are not a pro. The InterTel is one of the few systems that will not function in the default mode if I was to say anyone was not professional in their job I would say it was the InterTel engineer. Tekamba you will need to know the right software version to get this back running.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Actually, it was spot on. The customer took the gamble of having someone do the work that is totally unfamiliar with the product. In this case, they lost.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Greg sounds like the battery has gone kaput. This means the database is gone and unless you or someone there has a backup and is familiar with the phone system then your out of luck.

DND how do we know that this is the customer's gamble? Maybe they were told that moving the phone system is an easy thing and were led to believe that the people who moved it were skilled in telephone system programming and installation. Either way theres a lesson to be learned here for sure :nono:

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Bring in a tech thats knows Inter-Tel and get the customer back in service.

Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
I had assumed this would be a more professional forum that didn't resort to name calling and insults. No, I am NOT a "skilled" technician, but in this area they are fairly scarce and I've moved SEVERAL phone systems without any issues. While I don't disagree with the above comments, they aren't very helpful in the current situation. Yes it is a lesson learned, yes it is at my clients expense, yes I will take better care in the future to prevent these situations, and yes I will inform my client of the cause in this case. None of that fixes THIS problem now however. I'm a little amazed that the default from a bad battery is to have a completely non-operational phone system. If it just lost the configuration and had to be redone that isn't a big deal. Seems more to me a poor design by Inter-Tel.

Now, in a productive stream. Is there any way to determine the database version? Does it HAVE to come from an Inter-Tel tech? Is there a "start from scratch" procedure available online?

For the record, if the battery was dead, and their previous office had lost power long enough for the battery backup to not maintain the phone system in a powered on state, then this same situation would have occurred? Sounds to me like this may have been a good way to find this out as having it just happen out of the blue would have been very troublesome, while in this situation we were aware there might be some issues.

Just my thoughts on it all. I'm sure every tech out there at one time or another wasn't "skilled" in every phone system and had to learn via the school of hard knocks.

Greg

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
Just spoke with a local tech, he is thinking it isn't the database at all, but rather something corrupted in the operating system. I can get it to boot so I can try to log into it from another computer on the network's web browser by using the IP assigned to the phone system. Trouble is I don't know the username/password combo. I'll be heading over there in a bit to see if I can reset it since it is a linux based system, and then gain access. If anyone has some suggestions for software to manage the phone system, or possible passwords I would be greatly appreciative.
Greg

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
Yes, with a dead battery the programming will be lost on the CPU card. This would be indicated by an error light on the card itself.
However most technicians will do a backup of the database when performing service. This could be to a floppy disk, USB, etc.
Inter-Tel has proprietary software for Database Programming that is different for each version. Without that software you can not program the system.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
The web interface is used for basic diagnostic purposes only so its not going to help you at all. This sounds like a lost or corrupted database and in either case you're going to need an experienced Intertel tech to come troubleshoot and fix the problem. I can't give you passwords or Intertel's software but I can almost assure you that your best course of action here is to seek some help and get the client back up and running ASAP.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 111 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024