web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
#6948 08/05/05 02:19 PM
From the sounds of it he will be fine. Sounds like he is determined enough to make it work. He was up front with the folks about his inexperience, so it looks like a low pressure environment to learn. My only suggestion would be to do a dry run on the bench before going onsite. Sqeeky sounds alot like me, don't tell me you have a headache if I've been reading up on brain surgery. Never learn if you don't try. Good luck to ya.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#6949 08/05/05 03:24 PM
OP Offline
Rather be fishing:

I know 7.0 is the most recent software level, but I heard there are some known problems with it. Yes, we have 9 phones, but we are a long way from 9 users. If you paid attention to my post, you would know that 5 of the phones are pretty old. The customer wanted 4 new phones. It's nice to know that if I was working for you I would be fired, but I'm not, so I guess it doesn't matter. And besides, what difference would it make to upgrade mailboxes now instead of if and when they are needed? Sounds like a waste.

hbiss:

I guess I wouldn't know, because wiring is such a strange and mystifying art... No, seriously, if you have one end of a wire, and it is ran neatly and labeled properly such that you know exactly where the other end is, I don't see the problem.

#6950 08/05/05 03:27 PM
"You da Man"

#6951 08/05/05 03:28 PM
OP Offline
Johnyreb:

Thanks for the support. Although, I would like to make one minor correction. You say I was upfront with my inexperience. That is not entirely true. *They* came to *me* already knowing I've never done this before!

#6952 08/05/05 03:49 PM
Admin
Admin
You posted.
"I know 7.0 is the most recent software level, but I heard there are some known problems with it. Yes, we have 9 phones, but we are a long way from 9 users. If you paid attention to my post, you would know that 5 of the phones are pretty old. The customer wanted 4 new phones. It's nice to know that if I was working for you I would be fired, but I'm not, so I guess it doesn't matter. And besides, what difference would it make to upgrade mailboxes now instead of if and when they are needed? Sounds like a waste."

Thank you for your vast experience in the field telling us of known problems. Great to know all those hours you have put in are doing us all good. If you reread your post you say you bought 4 new phones and have 5 old phones left over from previous install. Where did you say you only using 4 sets? My reference was to the sales person that sold you the equipment not you. I hope your technical experience exceeds your ability to read what you post. Try to install someone a system and then tell them a week later that they have to upgrade to add 2 mailboxes. By the way as a Nortel dealer I can say I have encountered more troubles with 6.1 than 7.0. I do this for a living. And yes with your limited experience and attitude you probably would be fired. Good luck.

------------------
[Linked Image from commserveinc.com]

Business Phone Systems

[Linked Image]
#6953 08/05/05 04:06 PM
OP Offline
Rather be fishing:

I apologise if I mis-interpreted the intent of your post. There seems to be a fair bit of hostility in this thread, and it can sometimes be misleading when someone is actually not being hostile.

other people:

Having said that, none of it bothers me. Also, I'm not being overly sensitive. If all you have done is tell me I'd be better off getting a pro to do it, I probably don't think you're being hostile.

Once again, thanks to the people who have offered their support.

#6954 08/05/05 05:37 PM
No, seriously, if you have one end of a wire, and it is ran neatly and labeled properly such that you know exactly where the other end is, I don't see the problem.

LOL! Don't you think alarm guys and electricians know how to do that? You have a lot to learn son. It's not what you do it's all in how you do it. You are trying to reinvent the wheel because you have never seen one before.

Make no mistake, the only reason you have been encouraged to do this "project" is because your "customer" is looking for a bargain. To you it may be fun but they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

There seems to be a fair bit of hostility in this thread...

Oh yeah, about that. Can you understand why?

You come into a room full of people who are experienced, trained and make their living at this craft. Do you have any idea how much money and business we lose because of people who buy gray market unauthorized equipment off the internet? Then they find some poor shlock to install it for them for next to nothing.

So, while you are having fun and your "customer" is thinking he's slick, think about the fact that there may be an installer near you that needs to support his family or make a mortgage payment.

Now maybe you can see why not all of us are exactly happy to hear from you.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited August 05, 2005).]

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#6955 08/05/05 05:54 PM
OP Offline
Make no mistake, the only reason you have been encouraged to do this "project" is because your "customer" is looking for a bargain. To you it may be fun but they are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

Thanks for that revelation. Wow. I didn't realize he was intending to save money. That changes everything.

I get to do some fun and interesting work, learn how to do something I haven't done before, and get paid more than most of my friends. He saves a substantial amount of money, and may have to deal with inconvenience of me being inexperienced, and it's possible he may have to call in the pro's.

Sounds fair to me, but I bet you would prefer it to be yourself laughing all the way to the bank, which is why you are being hostile. Not a big fan of capitalism, are you?

#6956 08/05/05 06:07 PM
Read what I added.

And before you start with the capitalism stuff again, I would have no problem if the equipment sold on the net was legitimate. It's not. While whoever sold it to you may have been operating legally, it was obtained illegally in breach of whoever sold it to them's contract with the manufacturer.

That isn't capitalism, its illegitimate trade.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited August 05, 2005).]

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#6957 08/05/05 06:27 PM
OP Offline
As you should be able to tell from what I have said, I already knew this was the reason. The lawyer also has a family, and he is spending a crapload on the buildout of this new building, but that is beside the point. I think that between capitalism and communism, we all know that while sometimes capitalism can be a bitch, it is the model that works.

Heck, I need money for college!

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,806 Shoretel
188,965 CTX100 install
187,201 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 168 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024