web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72929 12/24/04 01:49 AM
DSU Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings and Happy Holidays -
I just installed an ACS 7.0 for a pizza restaurant. Each of the 4 POTS lines are going to a Point-of-Sale Caller ID box AND to the ACS - split at the 66 block.They are having a lot of trouble hearing callers due to the background noise (and I suspect a lower overall signal due to the split). We have the volume level all the way up on the phone but it is still way too low to hear the customers. I tried the Walker handset amplifier, but that seems to amplify the background noise as well making for a very unpleasant phone conversation. Is there any way to boost the signal either at the line end (repeater?), or is there a setting on the ACS to boost the level between the switch and the phone?
Thank you for any help/ideas/suggestions

Rich

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#72930 12/24/04 02:19 AM
RIP Admin
RIP Admin
No there is not a setting in the system itself, why aren't they just using the CID and Call log that the ACS provides?

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
#72931 12/24/04 02:28 AM
you need a noise canceling, amplified handset. Walker makes them. I've used them in loud bar's and go-go joints around the city, they work.
mark

#72932 12/24/04 03:39 AM
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
You might check the loop current!
One pizza chain uses only aftermarket CID boxes for PC integration. Your info is then used for screen pops. CTI without the telephone. I have installed many Nortel platforms in pizza chain stores only to have the network crew come in and jury rig in a CID box. Every call-back to these sites was always the CID box or workmanship related to the box.

#72933 12/24/04 05:59 AM
DSU Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW - Thanks for all the quick replies -

DTMF: The Point-of-Sale manufacturer needs a CID box to integrate with the POS server for screen pops as jwooten mentioned.
markk: I will try one of the handsets you mentioned. My concern is that the CID box is causing a signal drop that the switch can not compensate for - does that sound possible?
Thanks again for your responses -

#72934 12/24/04 06:50 AM
anything is possible. Most often in a noisy enviroment it's not the volume level but the noise going into the transmitter of the handset, that noise gets a little amplified back into the ear piece. Like what happens when you blow into a reciever. You can see if that is the trouble by holding your hand over the transmitter while listening to someone.
mark

#72935 12/24/04 07:26 AM
Do your pots lines arrive on copper or on a channel bank? If they arrive on copper pairs it may be a loop current problem. If you are at some distance (30000 feet) or more from the serving central office you may need a range extender on each line. This is provided by the telco at no charge if you meet the loop requirments. In my 30 plus years with a major LEC I have seen many transmission problems fixed by adding a range extender, of course thats if you don't have other problems on the copper pairs like missing load coils or incorrect load coil spacing. If its just the background noise use a noise cancelling handset.

------------------
Louisa Telephone Service

#72936 12/25/04 12:08 PM
[ Each of the 4 POTS lines are going to a Point-of-Sale Caller ID box AND to the ACS - split at the 66 block.They are having a lot of trouble hearing callers due to the background noise (and I suspect a lower overall signal due to the split).

Try dropping the CID box connection and see if the volume issue goes away for the remainder of the call. If it does, check out the CID box connections, make sure they are not causing the problem. It may also be the CID box has an issue. Might be time to check out the CID/POS equip. manual to see if it has any config. ability. It may be possible to work the issue from the other end, the CID direction as well. Just a thought. I do not think it is possible to run the CID box off the R7 ports. Do you have more info about the CID box? Its capabilities, facilities?
I did a pizza place with an R6 two months ago with CID, didn't have any issues, I do not recall if the lines went thru the CID, or were split before the CID.

I can not recommend any technology platform, only technicians!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 208 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024