web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#73678 03/02/05 01:04 PM
Bill_N Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Folks !!

I wear a lot of hats at work ... but installing this new phone system is gonna be a new one. Let me tell you what I've got in mind, and then I would REALLY love to hear your thoughts and recomendations.

Five slot carrier configured as follows:

Slot 1 - 1600 DSL card -- I'm not really sure how I want to use this, but my first thought is to NOT use the DSL port and let internet access be serviced through the LAN port. The folks that I bought this equipment from (athq.com) said that the 1600 DSL cards had been a lot of problems and recommended against trying to use it. They said that it wasn't a good idea to try to carry data (LAN, Internet) through the phone system at all as it would be VERY slow. But ... I'm a bit of "hardhead". One thing that I'm concerned about is that the card that they sent me is REV 4 and I thought that this card was up to at least REV 5.

Slot 2 - 0308 Expansion Card

Slot 3 - Partner ACS Rev 7 Processor

Slot 4 - Left Empty

Slot 5 - Partner VoiceMail Rev 7

I'm going to do all wiring using Cat 6 UTP in 23 AWG using the T568A standard.

I'm going to try to administer the system using the PC-based Administration software for the Partner systems.

I'll be using (2) Dual Zone Radio Modules -- I was going to use (4) and have heavily overlapping coverage, but I read that the overlap is a problem and that they can't be paralleled ... that the second zone must occupy separate extensions and be somehow tied together in software.

What do I need to know to save me much grief, blood, sweat, & tears ?

Thanks in advance ....

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill_N (edited March 02, 2005).]

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
I already see a problem, if you leave slot 4 empty your messaging isn't going to work. move it to 4 and leave 5 empty. Also if you not going to use SDSL for lines why get the card at all? Your much better off using it on your network.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
Bill_N Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for replying dtmf ...

I need some clarification though ...

In all the documentation, they use the VoiceMail module being in slot 5 as an "example" ... and say things like .. "If it is in slot 5 then it will be Hunt Group 7" ... "If it is in slot 5 and you have a 4-port license card ... then it will be extensions 45, 46, 47, 48" ...

So my question regarding this is ... If I move it to slot 4 ... will any of this change ?

Now then ... as far as network connectivity ...

When you say that I'm better off using it on my network ....

1. Are you saying that using the phone system for networking isn't a problem ? Will it be really slow ?

2. How do I connect it to the LAN ? Through the Ethernet port on the processor module ? What about DHCP ? I know that that is built into the 1600 DSL card ... but is is also built into the processor card ?

Thanks in advance ...

Bill

As dtmf said, you cannot leave any open slots between modules. Voice mail is always hunt group 7, the extensions will be the first 4 ext's that would fall in that slot.
I don't know that much about networking with Partner. I'm not sure you can even do what you're talking about. I understood the DSL card was for voice. I know that when using a port for modem, you're limited to about 28,800.
As for your wiring, why aren't you using phone standards, 568B? Most info you get lists colors associated with B.
The dual zone wireless (Avaya 9040?) isn't great. A lot of clashing between units and noise. We only install Engenious wireless now.

Bill_N Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for replying BW Telecom ...

I was intending to use the T568A standard because of what I've read about it ... in that ...

a. It has better characteristics (separating pairs, inductance) for data than does the T568B or USOC standards ...

b. That the center (4) conductors are the same as the USOC standard for some cross capatibility ...

C That the govt has specified the T568A standard for all future installations and for rennovations ...

But ... I'm just a newbie and trying to figure stuff out the best that I can ... from reading and help from you good people ...

As far as the data goes ... the 1600 DSL module says that it has a built-in DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server built into it ... this wouls seem to indicate that it would act like an ethernet router ...

If the processor card offers ethernet connectivity yet lacks a way of individually adressing each node by assigning it a unique local IP address ... then the processor could, at most, act as an ethernet hub ... in leiu of a router ...

These data questions are what really have me in a quandry ....

I wish that I had a good feel for the type of speed that I would be able to get across the network being carried by the phones ... and whether or not the processor card itself would act as a router or a hub ....

Using the dual radio modules in a single zone ... the maximum range that they would have to reach is 192' ... but some areas are behind a single layer of sheet metal wall sheathing ... (like what is on the outside of a metal building only thinner) ...

Thanks again for all your help ....

Bill

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
The DSL module is for pulling 16 lines off of the SDSL line, and you would use the V.35 port to shoot the Data to an external router, so it makes no sense to use the DSL module if your not getting a SDSL for lines.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
Why don't you ask the folks at ATHQ.com about your needs. They sould know. They are the ones making the profit on the sale. It seems that you are getting in over your head. The amount of money you are wasting on the 1600DSL module and the cat 6 cable opposed to cat 3 would be more than enough to hire a tech to come in and do it right the first time.
I can see it now you will be asking about hooking it up....then how to program the autoattendant....then how to program the phones....then ...etc.

I understand your enthusiam of how neat it is to put in the phone system. You can hang it on the wall and put out all of the phones and have everyting ready to go and Have a tech finish up, and you can have the WHOLE thing up and porgrammed in an hour or 2.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Hire someone! - they would tell you to stay away from the DSL module and you would end up with a better system at a lower expense and have someone to call if you have problems.

Bill_N Offline OP
OP Offline
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ttech:
You can hang it on the wall and put out all of the phones and have everyting ready to go and Have a tech finish up, and you can have the WHOLE thing up and porgrammed in an hour or 2.

</font>

This is EXACTLY what I would prefer to do, simply to guarantee a smooth rollover. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone interested in doing this. At least not by calling into the "front office" numbers of local datcom companies. I have considered going to one of the local supply houses that sell datacom equipment and seeing if the folks that work the counter there might be able to help hook me up with someone that might be willing to make a few extra dollars on a weekend.
But, I would still have the goal of becoming very knowledgable of the equipment, it's cabling, and programming so as to be able to handle the "catastrophes" that seem to come on a daily basis ...

I'm not using Cat 6 because I belive that this system requires it. I'm using it because I'm hoping that the next system won't require more than Cat 6.

I'n not doing this myself because I want to ... or even because I'm looking to save money. About 70%+ of the cabling has to be done in a high bay shop enviroment along bridge crane rails 20+ feet in the air. It ALL has to be in conduit and grounded periodically due to the high EMF enviroment. My experience in the past has been that few electricians and virtually no datacom folks are interested in the job of doing this.

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
You gotta be kidding, you can't find anyone who wants to do it? Click on the Installers link on top of the page and check your area, I'm sure you can find someone in there.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited March 03, 2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024