Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
user Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,
I'm an office manager for a small company. Our current phone system is a Partner ACS R3.0.1. Our IT manager is the self-taught phone "expert" and was trying to add a new module and now our voicemail has a lot of static. My boss wants the system fixed or upgraded. It's my understanding that the R3 is 7 years old and the current version is R7. Should we upgrade to the R7 or try to fix the R3? What are the benefits to upgrading?

While reading some of the messages on this board, I couldn't help but notice that you guys frown on self-taught phone "experts". I don't blame you. I will definitely do whatever I can to make sure we hire a professional to take care of this. I promise. smile

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Does your current system meet all of your needs? If so then your R3 should keep going for quite a while. On top of that static in the voice mail might not be solved ny a new processor. Where are you located?

Can you provide a list of the cards in your cabinet.From left to right.

You say you added a module and it may be out of order in the cabinet.The mail should be to the right of any line /co cards. :bang:

The ACS R6 as well as the ACS R7 are current versions. The R7 has been redesigned to provide 5 lines and 9 extensions as a standalone. It can be used in place of a R1 thru R6 however it seems to have many bugs as usually attributed to the first of a new release. I stay away from them.

Your R3 software can be easily upgraded to the current R6 (there is no software upgrade to the R7). Off the top of my head the added features that may be of use to you (the R6 and R7 features are basically the same) are the ability to forward calls transferred to an extension to an outside number or cell number, both CID name and number are displayed at the same time and greater flexibility with the VMS Hunt Delay. If these things don't interest you then there is no need to upgrade. If the system meets your current needs you don't need a new one either. We have plenty of even R1's out there still going strong.

I would look into the static issue, obviously something to do with that expansion mod that was added. A local dealer should be able to take care of that.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
user Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow! Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses! To answer your questions..

I'm located in Fairfield County, Connecticut.
The modules in the cabinet, from left to right are:
206E R4.1
ACS Proc R3.0
206 R4.1

Our current phone system meets most of our needs. It would be nice to have caller ID, but it isn't absolutely essential.

Thanks again for your help smile

Are you using a PVM (PC card) voice messaging?

We are near you in Westchester Cty. NY and handle Fairfield. PM me if you would like me to have a look.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
user Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep, we are using a voice messaging card.

You're not going to believe this. I came in today and found an email waiting for me from the IT guy. He tried to "fix" the issue with the static and ended up frying one of the modules. It literally went up in smoke. So I guess he's going to buy another module.

It would seem that this issue is out of my hands and our IT guy is just going to keep screwing around with the phones until the whole system dies. Or maybe he'll try rewiring our office in his spare time and blow himself up. I can only hope.

Thank you so much for your help, though. I really appreciate it. If the IT guy finally gives up, I'll pm you to see if you can come by. Thanks again smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,321 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 172 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024