web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm looking for some opinionated advice here. I'm a computer network admin, who also maintains (if you can call it that) the following pbx systems:
1st location:
Merlin Magix R2 w/8 analog loopstart trunks and 25 extensions for 4400 series and Partner 18 series phones. Merlin Messaging 8 port
2nd location:
Partner ACS R4 w/5 analog trunks and 10 extensions for Partner 18 series phones. Integrated messaging.

We are looking to move to a VOIP platform on PRI in order to:
1. decrease costs
2. connect both locations with the same dial plan
3. connect a data network between both locations
4. increase internet bandwidth for both sites

We are talking with a consultant from our CLEC and from an Avaya vendor. I just want to get some opinions to make sure our consultants are being honest with us.

Is is not possible to connect these 2 systems via ptp T1/PRI? They are proposing to completely replace the current systems.
Will we be able to use the same PRI for internet data and also WAN (site to site) data?
Is using a PRI site to site "really" the same as VOIP?

Our executive director really wants to go voip, but it appears our consultants are trying to sell us a pri based solution, which is not really the same thing, and is not going to save us much money, imo.

Can you guys help give me some options on how to reach our goals with voip? Also what is your take on what the consultant is selling us? Obviously it will work, but is it way more than we need? Is there a simpler way about this?

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Where are you located?

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Avaya IP Office would be the best for you.

You can do it with the systems you have in place, but not real user friendly.
No centralized VM or dial plan.

With the IPO your company could look like they were under one roof with multi locations.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Oh, and if you have any 44XX phones on your Magix now, you could reuse them on the IPO.

But not your Partner phones.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
IPOffice with a VPN thru the internet. This would not need at dedicated ptp T1. You can reuse the 44 series phones and the sites would share VM, dialplan and DID's.

OP Offline
Thank you for the responses.

How can I connect these 2 systems as they are?

gkar, what would I need to setup the IPoffice to connect via VPN? That would be considered a true VOIP solution correct? Would I still need a PRI for trunking to the CO at one location? Or can I also use the internet?

We are in Los Angeles, and the 2 sites are literally across the street from each other.

IP office is a glorified TDM switch. If you are looking for a true IP-PBX consider ShoreTel.

OP Offline
But I need integration with digital phones, not ip phones. Does Shoretel have products for this? What about third party products to integrate our existing digital handsets into an ip pbx system?

You cannot reuse the 4400 series telephones...only on an Avaya IP Office.

The IPOffice can build a VPN tunnel between sites thru the internet. Each should have its own lines for 911 but could share one sites PRI for LD calls. Some of my customers also share local dialing from out of state because it bills by the minute not per call and can be cheaper. As of now IPOffice cannot SIP trunk to the CO but will be available late this summer. The site with the PRI could also use a partial voice/Data T1 and provide internet access for that site with its built in router and firewall if you don't need a full voice t1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,173 Shoretel
188,992 CTX100 install
187,380 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Bob3470, justbill), 98 guests, and 394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024