Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#81069 09/13/06 03:13 PM
OP Offline
Please help if you can. I am an electrical contractor trying to revive a house that was used as office space for an internet based business. I ripped out a heck of a lot of networking garbage and I've got the phones working but can't get the old intercom system running. It's an AT&T 22050-051 made by Harris Corp. Does anyone know if this system needs a module and what it might look like? The speakers have four terminals on the back: 4/3 Alert and 2/1 Tip/Ring. There's also a jumper for Aux. Alert or Ringdown and Ringdown is selected. I must be missing a part of the system because Tip/Ring just gets me a dialtone and 3/4 terminals are just shorted with the button. Any help would be appreciated.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#81070 09/13/06 03:25 PM
I saw your post in other systems, didn't realize you hadn't received an answer. I believe this had to be hooked up to a system, but there are techs on this board who are more familiar with these than I am. I moving this to Avaya in hopes of getting you a better answer.

Retired phone dude
#81071 09/13/06 04:25 PM
I have never used or seen this device so I am guessing:

in theory at least, this gadget would hook up to a free CO (line) port on your PBX, then when someone rings the door bell they push the button which sends a ringing voltage to the phone port (and thus the PBX)...

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, "You are mad, you are not like us." -Abba Anthony
#81072 09/13/06 04:39 PM
tip/ring to an empty exension port on the partner system. then you need to program the system to accept the door phone.

#81073 09/13/06 04:58 PM
DMCSALES gets the cigar. What you have is a Partner doorphone for use with a Partner system. Isn't going to do you any good by itself so you might as well trash that too unless there is a Partner system around.

What is it connected to that is giving you dialtone? The "alert" terminals are simply dry contacts to replace the doorbell button so the doorbell or chime will ring also.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#81074 09/14/06 04:24 PM
OP Offline
First off, thanks for the help.

The only remaining phone equipment in the room were a couple of Multi-Link SR2s and the "mystery box". It's a beige box about a foot square by 1 1/2 feet high that accepts four slide in modules (it had two in it and there are two intercoms, hmmm?). Each module has two inputs and four outputs, all RJ-14s. It's AT&T equipment but seemed a bit large and fancy for a simple doorbell system. Unfortunately, I left it in the house so I can't get a model number for you right now. The house was built in the early 90s so I was hoping someone might recognize the system. Would a model number from one of the plug in modules help?

#81075 09/14/06 04:28 PM
OP Offline
Sorry, forgot to answer your question. Whenever I punch the blue pair to line 1 in the house I can get a dialtone by pushing the button on the intercom. I even had a very interesting one-way conversation with a lady who was apparetly trying to call the house when I "picked up".

#81076 09/14/06 04:35 PM
I don't know if this helps, but you might try 24v dc instead of dialtone for TR. The old intercoms, like Melcos used this. The alert signal will probably need the module(s).

#81077 09/14/06 06:16 PM
I would think it's safe to make the following assumptions-

the door box is just a t/r station. When you press the button, it goes off hook, and presumably stays off hook until it gets CPC, some DTMF sequence, or it times out.

The harris gadget is just a ring down box (with a few tweaks). If you hook two phones up to it, and take one off hook, the other will ring. the 'tweak' is that it can also (I am assuming if i get your description right) that it will also ring if the 'button' gets contact closure? (is the button separate from the door box?)

So (assuming it does not have a strikeplate, IE the people inside can't push a button to open the door)-
You can just dump the box entirely, wire the doorbox (blue pair) to a spare extension port on your PBX, and program it as a hotline extension which dials an internal ring group. Assign it a separate ring tone or something and you are set.

Or, if you keep it wired through the box, connect the tip/ring output to a spare CO/line port on your PBX. Assign a separate ring tone. When someone pushes the button, it will send a ring voltage to the PBX, which will ring phones, and whoever picks up talks to the guy at the door.

The only thing i still wonder about is the dialtone... its possible that there is a real phone line looped through the box (wire the one phone line passing thru the box so the house phones can be shared between the door phone and the line). It's also possible that the box is generating its own dial tone, although that seems less likely.

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, "You are mad, you are not like us." -Abba Anthony
#81078 09/14/06 06:25 PM
Is it possible this is connected to a ring down generator and that is what is providing the dialtone?

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,796
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,016 CTX100 install
187,393 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 6
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (nfcphoneman), 128 guests, and 410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024