Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
sdbyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
We have a release 3.5 Magix system. Our provider has a T1 that we use for voice and data. On the Magix side, the provider cannot distinguish which lines are our fax lines. Therefore, it's sending out as a digital signal and our fax machines are not happy. The carrier suggested that we have our fax machines send a "pulse out" so the carrier can identify, then tag it as analog. Does anyone know how to do this, or know any other way around (except getting a CO trunk just for the fax lines)? Any suggestions/ideas are welcomed!! Thanks smile

Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
OK, I am going to assume that you are talking about FAX MACHINES SENDING a FAX, rather than RECEIVING a FAX.

If this assumption is correct, please read on.

If not, please re-post with more info.

This sounds like you have switched over to some type of VOIP service provider.

If that is the case, you need to fire that provider and get one that REALLY IS IN THE PHONE BUSINESS!

I have real world experience with 2 VOIP service providers in the Denver Area. Vendor "A" (We think we are in the business) couldn't deal with FAX TRANSMISSION or "DYNAMIC" IP addresses, but Vendor "B" (WE ARE IN THE BUSINESS) had no problem with either.

I can provide more details if you need them, but, the bottom line here is, if this is a company that does not have the capability to recognize fax transmissions within their VOIP environment, then they are one of those that are NOT REALLY IN THE BUSINESS, they just think they are.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
sdbyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, this is for sending faxes. Apparently this has not been an issue with any previous vendors. So basically for them to request something "special" by our phone system to let them know it's a fax is unacceptable? Is the Magix even capable of handling such a request? Thanks for any info you have. It is a lower cost vendor (which I didn't choose, I'm only their IT support), but they're also a small company. Any info you can give me is greatly appreciated! smile

NO, the MAGIX can not SPECIFY that a particular call is a FAX CALL.

YES, the Magix can route calls from a given extension to a given line, or a pool of lines.

Again, I think the provider is the issue, because what you are telling us is they can not recognize that a FAX Call is being sent from the system. (WHY CAN'T THEY?)

Can this vendor "DEDICATE" a certain line/channel/port to be the "FAX" line/channel/port?

IF SO, you could dedicate a "line/channel/port" to the fax EXTENSION to use exclusively for such calls.

IF NOT, then your client may have a problem.

How did they do FAXING prior to going with this VENDOR.

I'd be willing to bet they had a DEDICATED T&R Line for their FAX.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
sdbyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
They did have a T1 previously, but it was a standard channelized setup. This new service is voip trunk based so they can allocate voice bandwidth as needed but have more data when voice isn't in use. Unfortunately the person responsible for making the switch probably wasn't informed of any issues with the Magix & Faxing. I'll try to find out more information from the provider (Nuvox) tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the info. I'm sure we'll end up requiring a separate CO trunk to get around this.

"wasn't informed of any issues with the Magix & Faxing"

Well, I must say this about that.

It is NOT the MAGIX & FAXING, it is the VENDOR'S VOIP & Faxing.

Like I hinted to in my previous post, some vendors know how to provide FAX SERVICE over VOIP, others do not.

It sounds like your client has one of the "DO NOTS".

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,740
Posts636,416
Members49,619
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
ebernhard, gman1205, Herb Parsons, jdews, nextlevel, ROGER IN FLA
Newest Members
blentz, RockyTop, Homer Domer, Lane, AMS Technology C
49,619 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 6
blentz 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022