web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Gonzo Offline OP
OP Offline
Got a fun one here.
a simple Partner Plus 3.1 CPU, nothing fancy.
Ext 13's keypad started to fail for buttons 3,6 & 9.
Resetting the phone fixes problem for a few hours, then trouble returns.
Swapped phones (and line cords)- problem followed.
Swapped ports @ KSU - Problem followed.
Installed new telephone and cord - problem continues.
Double checked connection and RJ45 at KSU / MDF - all looks good.
Cannot see any corrosion or twisted cabling.
The only constant in this problem is the actual cabling, which I've never heard of causing this type of problem.
Cannot change pairs on cable due to another ext already using those pairs.
(That ext is working fine w/o issues.)
My next step is to locate some chicken bones to remove the evil spirits.
Anyone had this trouble before on a Partner Plus?

Thanks
Gonzo

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Just to rule out the cable run a two pair wire from the D-marc to the phone, see if this fixes the problem. We've had mice chew on a wire and only bite 1 pair and caused some strange problems.

No, no way could this be a wiring problem. Simple way to check is to plug a phone directly into the 206 extension port.

What do you mean by "trouble followed"? Do you mean that when you swap phones the trouble stays with the phone or the extension?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Is this a mls[12][12d] phone per chance ??

Seriously? You swapped the phone, line cord and KSU and the problem persists? That's not possible.

The fact that the trouble follows 3, 6 and 9 suggests either a problem with the set membrane (the digits are in the same column) or some bizarre touchtone detector problem with 1477 Hz. Which begs the question: Are you also having a problem with the "#" key?

Of course, the business of so-called unlucky x13 and chicken bones may need some reconsideration.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Try moving 13 to another port

Gonzo Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for the replys.

Yes it it a MLS 12D telephone.
and yes the trouble follows even with a different known-good telephone - also MLS 12 btn.

Have already changed ports back at the KSU, ( swapped 10 & 13) cant do alot of port swapping due to office activity.

To be honest, Im just hoping this customer replaces this system

Really no reason to replace the system just because you can't figure out this problem. I have plenty of Partner Plus and MLSs out there. At most I would recommend an upgrade to an ACS and replace any defective expansion mods.

Sounds to me like you need to get in there after hours with some replacement mods and start troubleshooting.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I would immediately suspect bad keypad membranes in both phones, but that is my bias as an equipment repair person.
Have you taken the -12D to another heavily used location to see if the trouble occurs there? If it does, you have a bad membrane. The failure of the 3-6-9 button column tends to point to this.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (ronaldjamesh, justbill, Touch Tone Tommy), 58 guests, and 423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024