web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86082 08/24/07 11:48 AM
OP Offline
I am not a Telephone tech to start off with, I am a network analyst for a Hotel Management Company. We just recently acquired a new AVAYA system for one of our properties and have had some difficulty setting up the PMS interface. The CDR(call accounting) is working flawlessly but for some reason when we link up the PMS we get this on the screen.

[Linked Image from thefinalapostasy.com]

It alternates on the numbers from 52, 54, and 55. The PMS link status is UP but the PROTOCOL Link state is DOWN. Anyone have any insight?? I am using ipockets and rs232 to the pc and I have AVAYA systems at 3 other properties and didnt have any problems there?? anyway, thanks in advance.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#86083 08/24/07 12:36 PM
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
What Avaya system?

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
#86084 08/24/07 02:39 PM
OP Offline
Avaya s8400 i believe

#86085 08/24/07 07:48 PM
Nearly every result from a Google search of "ipockets" says something about an iPod. Please expand on the use of the ipockets software over a serial interface.

You say that CDR is working, but not your PMS. How does Property Management Software (if that's what you're talking about) fit in with your other trouble-free Avaya sites? Call Detail Recording, a.k.a. Call Accounting, is just a small part of managing sites, which I assume is REALLY important in a tourist-heavy city like Honolulu. You've gotta work a little harder at describing exactly what information you're trying to extract from the PBX.

Lastly it should be pointed out that any time you receive regular (yet unrecognized) characters from a serial interface, that parity and bps can be tweaked without any negative side affects. That garbage you are receiving may not be garbage at all.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
#86086 08/27/07 08:01 AM
OP Offline
Sorry for being unclear about the use of the system, the Call accounting(CDR) is working fine with the defualt settings of 9600 8 n 1. We used the teleseer format and worked it out for our call accounting software.

The Ipockets i refer to are standard rs232 to ip converters. We use them at our properties where the interfaced computers are far from the Phone system...much easier to run 1 cat5 cable with a switch than 3 seperate long serial cables.

The PMS (property management software) interface is for turning on the phones for guests and resetting the voicemail as well as updating the PBX with guest names. The PMS has settings that are for default AVAYA/Lucent systems and work fine normally...at this property they do not and give jiberish instead of data.

I am trying to determine if it is a configuration issue with the Avaya system or the computer running the interfaces. The phone techs insist it is our PC but using the speed settings given to us by them (same as CDR 9600 8 n 1) we get the lines above. I am just trying to clarify what the problem actually is. Thanks for your help...it is greatly appreciated

#86087 08/27/07 08:04 AM
OP Offline
Also, i failed to mention that the ipockets are set to 9600 8 n 1 and i didnt know if they were supposed to be set to something else for the PBX interface?? Are there a list of default port settings somewhere for reference?? Thanks

#86088 08/27/07 02:39 PM
OP Offline
UPDATE smile

I think at this point we have established that the data shown above is just practically saying i am here. We looked at another site and saw similar output when nothing was going on. Really all i need now is the actual "format" of the SMDR 'commands'(or whateever they are called. I have a sample from one of the other sites but it doesnt show the ascii characters

[stx]&[159]CKI10xxxxbbbfLAST, FIRST [ETX]

where xxxx is extension and last is last name etc... the question is what other 'commands' are there for the SMDR??? thanks

#86089 09/07/07 10:20 AM
OP Offline
Does anyone know wether an AVAYA s8400 can 'emulate' a Mitel or Nortel system for it's PMS interface?? the Company i am working with only has Mitel or Nortel formats preconfigured and creating a new one for the Avay is very costly. Thanks

Dennis

#86090 09/08/07 06:06 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Avaya's PMS interface information format is fixed. I'm surprised that you don't have an Avaya configuration. What I used to see with a new PMS system was 'we don't do Mitel'. (Never mind that Mitel has had about 70% of the hospitality market forever!) I also assume the "8400" is the Avaya 'modem' for want of a better description! If so, you need to lock the word length, parity, etc. The 8400 is out-of-box 'autoconfiguring' and usually confuses the PMS system. Usually the PMS systems are NOT 'self-healing' for want of a better word. And I assume you are actually trying to interface to a Definity, using the 8400 data module. Every time the 8400 loses protocol link, for whatever reason, if the word length, etc are not fixed and locked, you probably will NOT bring the protocol link up again, without lots of tears and hair loss. To tell if you have a valid link, the red and green LED's wink every 10-20 seconds. Kinda "I'm here are you there?" "Yes, I'm here and I see you". Are my assumptions correct, or have I created an ass-u-me. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
C5Z 2
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024