web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#87977 12/31/07 09:24 AM
6string Offline OP
OP Offline
Merlin Magix R3 - the Magix has been programmed for DID lines using a PRI from the telco and a 100DCD card in slot 1 of cabinet two. This has worked perfectly for two years. Three months ago there 100DCD card failed. Only the red light on the top of the card is lit and all the DID's ring busy. I swapped the card out with another and the DID's work like before. Today, same problem happened,same solution. This is the second card in two months. What would be causing these cards to fail? Would it be something on the phone system or with the telco? I'm at a lose to troubleshooting this thing. Any suggestion?
RTB

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#87978 12/31/07 12:52 PM
My experience has been that these cards do not fail. I have found that the number of errors that have accumulated in the system from incorrect signals from telco hsve caused the system to malfunction. Clearing the errors will sometimes allow the card to reset and continue to function. DSD,DS1 and any other T-1 cards only act on the commands(programming) that that resides in the "brain" of the system. One thing I have found beneficial is to have a KSU/TSU unit in front of the system. It is required by FCC regulations (so I'm told". The benefit is that it will record all alarms and malfunctions of the T-1 circuit and announce an alarm. By scrolling through the history of the KSU you can see what has occurred and determine where it originated.

#87979 12/31/07 03:44 PM
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I have never had one fall either.
Have you checked your error logs?

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
#87980 12/31/07 06:22 PM
RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
OK, this is pretty much like Monday Morning Quarterbacking...

But you can "PRINT" (as in System Prog> More > Print) the error logs and you should be able to see a "history" of what the system saw.

Also, I would recommend that you look at the errors in Maintenance, and check the ERROR EVENTS for the 100DCD card and keep track of that for a period of time.

If you have a HIGH ERROR Rate, as fuzzy said, you will have a card that just gets mad and takes all of his marbles and quits playing.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
#87981 01/01/08 02:35 AM
6string Offline OP
OP Offline
About six month's ago the customer was complaining that calls going out on the PRI were being dropped in mid conversation. There were errors on the system (PRI inconsistent) I cleared them from the log (Alt P) so we reported this to the telco and to the best of my knowledge it hasn't happened for a long time. Yesterday I didn't check the error log in programming but there weren't any red lights on the processor. So there are errors elswhere in the system that may be causing this?

Fuzzy - when you say have a KSU/TSU unit in front of the system....explain for a lay person like myself. And your saying that if I (through programming) clear errors that were created the card may return to normal function. Interesting, I thought for sure it was a hardware problem because another card fixes the problem. Interesting.

Merlinman - so what your saying is the errors in the system are causing the 100DCD to give up trying. What I need to do is find out what the errors are and find the cause of them. I didn't realize I could check errors for an individual card. Great to know! So maybe the Telco is sending incorrect info. to the 100DCD causing it to lock up. Have you ever seen this happen to a 100DCD card before. What is your experience with these cards?
Again, sorry to be such a lay person but I don't have alot of experience/knowledge/understanding with PRI/T1 issues.
Thanks guys!

#87982 01/01/08 03:47 AM
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Online Content
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Are you using an external CSU/DSU?

#87983 01/01/08 03:32 PM
6string Offline OP
OP Offline
The 100DCD card has an internal CSU/DSU.

#87984 01/01/08 04:34 PM
RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
OK, I knew that, and that's good, but are you using it?

Also, in talking about: "the errors in the system are causing the 100DCD to give up trying", Perhaps.

And, in reference to: "I didn't realize I could check errors for an individual card", Yes you can.

The Legend/Magix has EXCELLENT built in Diagnostics.

To see how your "T1 Pipe" is working go to Maintenance, Slot (Enter T1 Slot Number) and look at ERROR EVENTS.

There you will find a TON of info about Current Hour errors, Last Hour Errors, and maybe even the CURRENT errors the T1 Module is seeing now.

Instead of replacing the T1 module, you could probably be able to "FIX" it by deleting all errors from the Processor. (Maintenance, System, Error Log, DROP, and DROP and Drop some more....)

I hope this helps....

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
#87985 01/02/08 10:41 AM
6string Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Merlinman! Great info. and advice.
I'm not using the CSU in the card. I will check the errors to see whats going on.

Is anyone interested in dialing in to the Magix to give me some guidance. I will pay a service fee. Let me know......

Thanks for the advice!

#87986 01/03/08 02:42 PM
RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
PM Sent

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,099 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,799 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Professor Shadow, Toner), 178 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024