web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#9218 01/11/06 02:27 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
And before that it was Ameritech, and before that, it was Ohio Bell and before that............

Jeff, an old cable splicer friend of mine from Verizon, formerly Bell Atlantic, formerly C&P Telephone, formerly......... told me that the HCGS stood for "High Capacity Grade of Service". Maybe there is some rhyme or reason to these circuit ID's after all.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#9219 01/11/06 02:32 PM
OP Offline
Yeah...something has to make sense with the telco.
Speaking of the telco, here's an interesting article that was in our newspaper today. The woman who helps seniors is a friend of my family.
https://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/opinion/113697189436390.xml?ocbre&coll=2
Jeff
PS: So is a HiCap circuit supposed to mean High Capacity?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#9220 01/11/06 02:38 PM
Jeff:

Yes, HiCap does mean high capacity, but in this day and age with telecommunications that can mean a lot of things. I think that terminology will soon fall by the wayside as technology improves. It will eventually become a joke like 28.8K "high speed" modems. Everyone will recognize the terminology, but the new terminology for the higher-speed circuit will make HCGS stand out like a sore thumb.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#9221 01/11/06 05:16 PM
Online Content
We (AT&T) called the circuits between us and the LECs HiCaps, but I'm sure others use the same term. This thread of yours, Jeff, has made me do a lot of thinking and thanks to you I realize how much I've forgotten in a few short years of retirement from Ma Bell. help About the only way you're going to find all the CLLI codes is to find someone who had the books, or maybe some internet searching, there are a bunch of them. I've been racking my brain trying to remember the LEC's ID for digital data and so far nothing. :shrug:

EDIT:: Man you weren't looking for CLLI codes..See what's happening to me. :scratch:

Retired phone dude
#9222 01/12/06 06:04 AM
OP Offline
Well thanks for the info. Did anyone read the article I posted? I am interested in your opinion on it.
Jeff

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#9223 01/18/06 12:11 AM
a txnu is a circuit ID for an unbundeled loop (pots line), it is provided from the lec to the clecs for non resold ckt's (meaning the clec has their own switch), for example if an enduser has att local pots service (non unep--resold)but the lec is say sbc. att cannot report a telephone number to the lec but must use the txnu info (as well as co handeoff inforamtion). for the most part the enduser or vendor should never need this informaton, it is more for the service proiveder. now for isdn or high cap service your t1 ckt id is the best way to report trouble to the local carrier,if you are lucky the smart jack or channel bank on site SHOULD (key word here) be labeled especially with all the automated systems local carriers are using they may accept a telephone number for a high cap ckt and route it to the wrong work center, this wil delay repair by a few hours.

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
#9224 02/15/06 11:23 AM
I’m a LEC engineer… Have worked for both SBC and now an Independent.

The LEC circuit ID’s are based off Telcodia’s Common Language Coding… We ALL have to play by these general rules. At one time there was intelligence built into the coding (i.e. HC= Hi-Capacity) but the complexity of the business no longer allows for it.

XX/YYYY/000000/111/CC/SEG
Pre-fix/service code-service code modifier/serial #/suffix/company identifier/segment name

* Pre-fix= Will set by administration areas for each company… they may or may not be based on LATA
* Service Code= what type of service this circuit is providing
* Service Code Modifier= Modifies the service code, often used for different billing options.
* Serial Number= 6 digit numeric identifier
* Suffix= if a service has multiple legs or drops this will further identify the location. (almost never used.)
* Company identifier= Identifies the controlling LEC (SW= Southwestern Bell, GTEC= GTE, etc.)
* Segment= the drop NAME for a multi point circuit. (not used much any more)

The service code tells ya what kind of circuit you have. Here’s a list of the most common you’ll see:
HC= 1.544 Mbs (T1)
HX= Fractional T1. (Here’s where a service code modifier is really used for the Frac. T1 rate.)
IA= ISDN BRI access line
IB= ISDN BRI non-access
XH= 56 Kb DS0
XD= 64Kd DS0
FX= foreign exchange (Telephone numbered format.)
TK= Two way trunk
PD= Private Line Data
PL= Private Line Voice
LX= CLEC POTS
LY= CLEC POTS (improved line conditioning)

There are OTHER codes that you may see such as NCI (network channel interface) codes that will help further describe the service.

NCI Codes describes the type and use at a terminating location
NC (network chanell) codes will describe the circuit parameter through the LEC.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#9225 02/15/06 12:41 PM
Online Content
CnGRacin: Could you explain the secondary NCI codes, I don't remember the whole thing and I think it will be helpful. Right now there is a lot of signaling questions as far as disconnect supervision. If I remember right all the secondary codes show is the wiring (2,4,6), and signaling (ls, gs, em etc) I do know on special circuits the conditioning and levels are in there also. Thanks for your input.

Retired phone dude
#9226 02/15/06 12:51 PM
Well, CnGRacin, race around this one! They might be working that way in the Midwest, but let me tell you that the local independent LEC and CLECs don't adhere to anything even close to that format!

Yes, our predominant LEC (Verizon-Bell Atlantic) does, but the local independent LEC (Verizon-GTE) isn't using anything close.

I sure would like to see a uniform circuit ID format, but it ain't happening around here.

It's great to see someone here working in your capacity to help us with these issues because let me tell you, getting support from the local exchange carriers or CLECs on simple issues like this one is impossible. We need more people with your credentials with knowledge levels above typical repair service or business office personnel, the general public's primary source of information.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#9227 02/15/06 01:09 PM
Online Content
That's what made it so much fun Ed, the independents had their own numbering system, and they couldn't cross reference anything. We had many circuits that went Lec, independent back to lec, ya thinks it wasn't fun trying to get something fixed when the trouble was between the independent and the lec? That's the kinda of stuff I put up with my last 17 years. After all that you had to tell them how to fix their trouble!..Good ol days, NOT.

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Toner), 133 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024