web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jp1525 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a Norstar MICS that is using a T-1 for Central Office access. From the Nortel we are feeding 8 analog ports into 8 Merlin Legend C.O. ports. The issue is that the Receptionist on the Legend receives many, many phantom calls where her phone rings and there is nobody on the other end.
I have made a post in the Nortel group regarding this and it appears that the Nortel does not give a disconnect to the Legend.
I thought that I would pose the question to the Avaya group and see if there is some setting in the Legend that can take care of this issue. Calls coming into the Legend are answered by AA. I have made calls and when the AA answered I hung up during the call and listened with my test set. The Legend continues playing the message and eventually times out and transfers to the AA.
Any ideas?

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

You have to Enable LS Disconnect in the Legend.

"You have to Enable LS Disconnect in the Legend."

True. However, if MICS isn't providing disconnect supervision on the analog station ports, it won't make a difference.

The bottom line is that your configuration is not "optimal" - without disconnect supervision between MICS and Legend, phantom calls will continue.
Are there other users on the MICS, or are you simply using it as a channel bank?
Mike

jp1525 Offline OP
OP Offline
The MICS has 60+ users in another building-No issues but there shouldn't be. The Legend is in a building 1 block away and is shared with other user's and was in place when the MICS was sold 10 or so years ago. We have received no trouble calls over that period until the Legend went down approximately 1 month ago. The site contact did say that over the last 6 months they have received phantom ringing that got progressively worse and really got bad after the Legend went down.
I was curious if there was a difference as far as SW releases on the Legend and if there was more options in the newer release that may help minimize the phantom calls.

The Legend will support disconnect supervision - but if MICS isn't passing it, there's nothing to "supervise" against.

I would handle it like this: Have callers ring the Legend auto attendant as they do, but FORCE the caller to press a digit to get to the receptionist. If the caller dials nothing, play the auto attendant again. If still nothing, disconnect the call. This helps to assure that you have a live body on the line.
Mike

I think that the legends reliable disconnect feature is probably not set up. you mention that the legend went down at same time as problem showed up. What did they have to replace in system? Did they have to reprogram or use an old backup? A test {at the legend} would be to put any other line into one of the 8 analog ports the Mics is feeding and call it to see if you have same problem.
John

jp1525 Offline OP
OP Offline
The Avaya tech said that they did move dialtone from the CO to those ports and it worked properly.

RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
I would suggest that you just go ahead and re-program the LS Disconnect feature of the LEGEND.

It's too bad this happened a MONTH ago, or you could have used one of the Auto Back up files.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 161 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024