web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Thread Like Summary
Meyery2k
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Societus
Societus
Good afternoon everyone!

I have just recently signed up due to a general lack of knowledge of the system we have at our motel, and the general hard-sell tactics that have led me to distrust many of the servicers and installers local to me, so I am hoping that perhaps I can get some perspective and advice.

Our system is a Mitel SX-200 MX (not sure of how to tell specific revision or generation) with 2 ASU-II switches and what looks like a total of 3 ONS-class cards (#50005731). The last time anyone did any kind of preventive maintenance on it was about 3...... management companies ago, and the new owner actually wants to take care of things so I’ve been tasked with getting the most out of it. Recently we had a major storm that knocked out our ability to call out, and the local telco guy says we have a trunk card that needs to be replaced. I am familiar with IP PBX platforms from Cisco, but this is a little older than my head can wrap around, and that has inspired me to reach out to the pros.

TL;DR - Old PBX, probably a bad trunk card, but 4 main questions:

• How does a trunk card fail that lets incoming calls route correctly, but not allow outgoing calls?
  • What is currently the best software to connect to the PBX. I have gotten mixed messages on that, or possibly have a bad maintenance port. I have tried a straight through RS232, and a Null-Modem cable. Cannot get a connection, or any sign it is working. Using the ICP, the revoked certificates won't let me in with anything but internet explorer, and there it won't detect my Java install to do anything. I am a BSD guy if there is a smart solution for that.
  • If it really is as simple as a bad trunk card, what is the easiest way to identify which card it is (once I can get logged into the controller) and can it be replaced with an identical part and require no reconfiguration?
  • I've read this controller can use IP trunks, are there any special considerations to know about when arranging a SIP provider that might not be a big deal with current systems? We REALLY want to distance ourselves from the POTS telco here.

Sorry for bombarding you with so many things at once, but this thing has been stumping me for a couple weeks now, and my lack of knowledge has driven me up a wall where everyone just tries to sell us a new system for $5k-$17.6k. I appreciate any words of wisdom that can be imparted. Thanks in advance and have a great day!
Liked Replies
by Carl Navarro
Carl Navarro
For the OP In the Hospitality industry, you can do a couple of things, but first, REPAIR the PBX. I'd be looking for a second opinion, because, if indeed you are getting calls in, but not out, it might be something silly like PROGRAMMING something simple like loop start vs. ground start. Then you can get half-a-loaf by converting your trunks to SIP. An 8 or 16 port gateway in front of the Mitel trunks with Sip service will pay for itself in reduced trunk charges in a mater of months. The last one I did the payback was less than 6 months for the hardware and monthly difference in rates.

Carl
1 member likes this
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (pvj), 163 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024