atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: twisted pair cid blocking - 02/10/06 10:53 AM
I have a customer that occasionally does credit collections. He sometimes has to use *67 to block his caller id. He was told that this feature doesn't work when calling toll free numbers (it doesn't block). Anyone know if this is true?
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: cid blocking - 02/10/06 01:42 PM
That is correct. You cannot block CID on calls to toll-free numbers. If you have to pay for the call, you get to know whose calling.
Posted By: BrianS Re: cid blocking - 02/11/06 11:22 AM
Without knowing too much of the specifics, the calling number information is probably being transported via ANI, Automatic Number Indentification, which normally will not be blocked with a star code like * 67. However, there are ways around ANI. There is a whole science to "spoofing" ANI. A Google search will shed light for those interested. Brian
Posted By: Mark K. Re: cid blocking - 02/11/06 12:08 PM
I just tested it here just for kicks, I was wondering if it would be blocked on caller ID and just show up on the bill for the 800#. It comes up on the ID as anonymous, but shows the calling number. Not very anonymous.
Mark
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: cid blocking - 02/11/06 11:26 PM
Even if you are not calling a toll free number, your number can be seen if calling a PRI which carries ANI, detectives buy them and *67 does not work.

If he does not want them to know who is calling, get a voip line from some other area code and put the name whatever you want.

You could be listed as L A Police and do investigations.

Now if you want people to stop calling you except your friends, call a disconnected number and record the "The number you are calling is disconnected and there is no new number. The number you are calling is disconnected and there is no new number." Then record "Bee op, bee op, bee op" disconnect signal so the whole recording is a minute long. Your friends wait one minute to talk to you, but everyone else will hang up.

Who knows, I may have a tap on you.
Posted By: KENB Re: cid blocking - 02/12/06 06:04 AM
Why doesnt he just call on their local # ?? wink
Posted By: twisted pair Re: cid blocking - 02/12/06 06:31 AM
Why doesnt he just call on their local # ??
He's too cheap, he's doing collections. :rolleyes: I asked him that too, he said a lot of home based businesses seem to only advertise their 800 number.

Brian, I did the google on that; made for some interesting reading! I didn't realize the science to it. Probably more than I can discuss in an open forum but thanks for shedding some light.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help