atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: grider Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 02:38 PM
I would appreciate all my friends putting their opions on board regurding the manufacturers of Jacks. Any that you prefer and the ones you avoid. I'll begin:

I prefer to work with Leviton. Reason is they are readily available. They do the job they wwere intended to do and they are priced fairly.

I avoid Hubbell like the plague.

As far as Panduit is concerned, It seems they insult my proffesionalism by making a product that avoids a punch tool. I like a clean trim when i terminate a jack and that is what a punch tool does.

Disregurd all spelling errors. I've had a few beers.
Posted By: KLD Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 03:00 PM
Same here BUT I still like Suttle the best.

Beers? Need beers for spelling errors? :toast:

DKL wink
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 03:01 PM
Leviton. Period.
Posted By: OBTW Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 03:04 PM
I like Molex/Modtap .
Posted By: jdavidcomm Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 03:07 PM
I'm a Leviton guy also, unless the customer specifically asks for something else
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 03:14 PM
I like leviton the best
Posted By: WRichey Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 03:20 PM
I like Leviton and Suttle the same they are both at the top of my list

1.Leviton/suttle
2.Siemon
3.Ortronics
4.Hubble
5.Lucent/Att
6.Amp
7.Krone
8.Panduit
9.That keystone stuff you can get from everywere.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 04:06 PM
I use ICC, I like the inline layout its makes it a lot easier and quicker to terminate. Hubble are great job security I've replaced several that others put in.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 04:27 PM
leviton , becouse the work with my spiffy jack rapid tool
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 04:57 PM
Leviton here too.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 05:02 PM
Originally posted by skip555:
leviton , becouse the work with my spiffy jack rapid tool
Yo Skip! Tell us more about this tool!
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 05:04 PM
ICC all the way, including their "inline" Cat-6 jacks.
Posted By: rich30529 Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 05:35 PM
I use ICC and Leviton.They use the same faceplate so you can use either or.Now thats pretty handy if you've got a Leviton jack you can use an ICC faceplate if thats all you have.Works for me.I wish all brands were that way.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 06:12 PM
Didn't know that about Leviton and ICC.
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 06:27 PM
Leviton here or any keystone jack. Leviton is nice simply because in a pinch you can goto HOme Depot and get all those fancy faceplates for special jobs.
Leviton because you can use the Harris Jack Rapid to terminate all 8 wires with an easy squeeze.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 06:39 PM
Leviton only. Works fine and lasts a long time.
Posted By: Nosaj-Industries Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 06:52 PM
Leviton for price and availability. Using the Jackrappid makes em fast.

Systemax is the best hands down, too expensive for most cutomers. Jackrappid for them available too.
Posted By: dwflood Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 07:02 PM
We've been using SMP almost exclusively for years, however I really like the Molex product.

Just today I terminated some Hubbell C6 inserts and didn't like them.
Posted By: telcomtex Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 07:41 PM
I'm going to have to say Leviton too! For all of the above reasons and what about the lifetime warranty.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 08:54 PM
Funny how people are different. I won't touch Leviton with a 10 foot pole, and neither will none of my guys. Not really a quality thing, they just seem harder to terminate. I really like AMP, and recently found a local company selling a generic version of the AMP jack. Half the price, and haven't had an issue with them yet, and I have put in a few thousand of them.
Posted By: kraneworldchamp Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/02/06 09:31 PM
I use leviton and i dont even use the punch tool just split the black clips and push em down never had a problem
Posted By: VA Tele-Tek Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 04:44 AM
I prefer to use the SMP jack. All the pairs you can just lay in the module and terminate easily. We use a lot of Levington also. The downside of them is having to split the green and blue pair on each side of the jack. SMP's are a little easier on the palms of your hands when terminating rather than the Levington. Unless you have one of those fancy beer coasters they give out.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 05:49 AM
HD actually sells the beer coasters
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 05:54 AM
Does anyone use HellermannTyton?
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 05:59 AM
Bunnie:

Are you having any problems with the replacement blades for your Harris?
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 06:03 AM
I remeber seeing a thread about the harris tool a while back...
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 06:03 AM
Try this..not sure if you are having the same issue.

https://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/001365.html
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 06:45 AM
Anthony:

I sent the thread over to Chris. He said that was exactly what was going on.

Thanks!
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 07:06 AM
no problem
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 07:32 AM
Come on Mitch that's not necessary
Posted By: UpstateNetworks Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 08:05 AM
Leviton here as well, with a JackRapid (trying Bunny's trick this weekend to cure the notchy-ness). I'd rather be using Lucent/Avaya/Systimax, but yeah, too pricey unless it's a huge job or spec'd.

I see ICC is now advertising color matching with Leviton products (although they can't name Lev in the ads). May have to give them a try.

I won't touch generics or house brands. Not worth the risk.
Posted By: DayTech Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 08:32 AM
We use solely Systimax and have had no problems.

Systimax is not owned by Avaya/Lucent/AT&T anymore!! Commscope bought them a couple of years ago.
Commscope has another line of jacks/hardware called "Uniprise". I was curious if anybody has used these jacks, and what your opinions where.
Posted By: grider Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 09:29 AM
justbill, thanks for the edit earlier. And thanks to everyone for the opinions. I'm using this information from this thread to make a point to a few wanna be techs. They seem to listen to sales propaganda rather than experiance from veteran installers with field experiance. After this thread gets a few more days worth of input I'll sum up all the opinions and post the results.
Posted By: grider Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 09:41 AM
Current Standings

Leviton 16
Suttle 2
Molex/Modtap 1
ICC 3
AMP 1
SMP 1
Systemax 1
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 09:53 AM
ICC here for keystone type jacks; Suttle for residential surface or flush mount and always Suttle stainless steel wall phone jacks.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 02:53 PM
Leviton here with a Harris Jack Rapid--any faceplates, or surface housings or patch panel plates as long as we can put Leviton inserts in them. Have tried 4 or 5 other brands but Leviton is a good priced, quality product that is readily available. That's what I want. The other ones fall down in one or more of the categories, IMHO.
Posted By: scotttoolguy Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 05:22 PM
I can't believe that I'm actually going to type this, but I use Ortronics and Panduit extensively, with the exception of wall and surface jacks which I use suttle for. Please don't hate me guys.

Scott.
Posted By: capitol Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 05:32 PM
I use Hellermann Tyton exclusively for faceplates, voice & data jacks and patch panels. I've worked with alot of different types of jacks and I think that the Hellerman Tyton products aren't nearly as flimsey as other manufacturers. Wall phone & bisquit jacks are ICC
Posted By: gtodd1 Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/03/06 07:25 PM
Our customers have different needs. We use Systemax, Ortonics, Amp, and Krone.

I prefer Systemax.
Posted By: Rover88 Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/04/06 07:33 AM
We use Siemon, Commscope, and, in a pinch, Leviton. I have used and like AMP and Hubbell, too. We don't take a chance with any no-name stuff. As far as the cost, we just mark it up in our quotes and tell customers they're getting the best. We're pretty much using only Commscope cable these days.
Posted By: Mike Andruschak Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/04/06 08:52 AM
(just a sec, gotta check who I am this week....)

Here in ATT-California I use Panduit exclusively. I rather like that I can assemble it without any tool other than my ever present snips. They fit in 1, 2, or 4 hole surface mounts; 2, 3, 4, 6 hole single gang wall plates; 4-hole rectangle things that fit the cutouts in partitions and power poles; and 24 jacks across a 19 inch rack. Other than misplacing the wires, I have never had a failure of a panduit jack; out of a few thousand over more than a decade.

The above is useless for comparison, given that I have not used any other brand.
Posted By: teltech Re: Jack Manufacturers - 03/06/06 05:59 AM
Leviton, ICC, Suttle
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help