atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: BacherJr CID Problems - 07/06/06 07:00 AM
I have a customer who currently gets Loops from 2 different companies. The CID from both companies shows up on an analog caller ID box, but only 1 of the companies CID will show on my switch, a samsung. Samsung says that we have done all we can to try and receive that CID and that they cant make it work. The phone company tells me that CID is CID and they cant tweak it at all. The customer just decided to switch all of thier lines over to the company whose caller ID we cannot receive.

I need to come up with a solution or the customer will drop us. Has anyone heard of a CId repeater or anything that would help in this situation?
Posted By: anthonyh Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 07:41 AM
does the cid work at the demarc? If so try swapping the tip and ring on your IW, It should not be polarity sensitive but I have seen this fix it in some cases.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 08:29 AM
I hate to ask this but are any solid state protection devices being used on the lines? Sometimes, these interfere with CID becoming polarized. I have only experienced this a handful of times, but it does happen.
Posted By: Kyle Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 08:36 AM
I'm with Ed on any additional protection on the lines. Not sure if it applies but I've had trouble tickets where things like alarm systems & outdoor bell ringers block the CID stream.
Posted By: BacherJr Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 08:43 AM
The demarc and the switch are a few feet from each other. There isnt any lightning protection on the lines, nor are there any other devices. Ill try switching tip and ring though.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 09:18 AM
If it's not too difficult, you might want to lift the incoming telco pair from their protector module and connect it directly to the system. Telcos have started using some solid-state integrated modules in their protected terminals. I am still concerned that a standard CID unit works on the lines though.
Posted By: Winetech Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 09:24 AM
are you getting anything on your switch, the CID could be coming in to 'hot'. i had this with a CLEC on a ESI system and they(ESI) changed some gain setting, i will go back to some old files and see what it is called
Posted By: BacherJr Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 10:34 AM
samsungs only options for CID receipt is lengthening the amount of time that it looks for the CID. Doesnt seem to help.
Posted By: twisted pair Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 10:55 AM
It's not a problem with the trunk CO inputs for the lines from that 2nd provider, is it?

Have you tried swapping inputs (ports) with the other provider that CID does come up on the switch?
Posted By: BacherJr Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 11:00 AM
yea, I tried swapping ports on the samsung between the good ones and the bad.
Posted By: Kyle Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 11:40 AM
If the new lines are from a CLEC, are they coming in on a channelbank? If so, what kind? We've had some issues with newer Samsung units recognizing disconnect signalling & other little quirks. Can't recall any issues with CID, but there's only a couple of vendors in town who sell them.
Posted By: bf6b5yr Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 12:46 PM
Kyle may have something. I remember something about certain issue channel units for SLC96 that had problems passing CID. Also, is there any way that you can get the LEC to swap the cable pairs between the working CID & the one that doesn't work just to see if it makes a difference. I seen problems where bridge-tap or loading or a slight unbalance would block CID to a good quality phone but a cheap analog CID box worked just fine.
Posted By: BacherJr Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 12:53 PM
The lines with good CID are coming from the CLEC. The ones with bad CID are coming from the ILEC.
Posted By: Kyle Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 01:01 PM
Seems like a silly question at this point, but does the line from the ILEC have DSL associated with it?

Have you compared the physical properties of the two lines (voltage, ring current, loop current, etc.)?
Posted By: brokeda Re: CID Problems - 07/06/06 03:43 PM
Loop Current?
Posted By: grider Re: CID Problems - 07/07/06 03:45 AM
Does the samsung have "line receive volume adjustment". Like Winetek said, that has been the issue i have adjusted to correct this problem on ESI systems.
Posted By: BacherJr Re: CID Problems - 07/07/06 05:41 AM
Measured loop current normal. No DSL on the line. Ill ask samsung about line receive volume.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: CID Problems - 07/07/06 07:32 PM
The ? about DSL reminded me of CID problem on ADIX. Believe it or not, the 'cure was a defunct buttset that had no transmit and was too cheap to bother fixing. Left it on line in monitor and CID would work. No amount of RC network juggling worked, although I'm sure there was a combination that would work. Just not $ effective when an old discarded buttset made everything work! So what I'm saying is put a buttset on line in monitor and then see what happens. The world of telecomm is sometimes strange to the max!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help