atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: super58177 butt set - 07/06/06 09:31 PM
i want to test a 66 block for dial tone with a butt set....do i put the black clip on the first pair or the second pair? or it doesn't matter if if i use red or black clip on the first pair? please help :confused:
Posted By: rich30529 Re: butt set - 07/06/06 10:07 PM
Welcome to the board super58177 welcome

First you need to complete your profile so we will know who you are and where you are.

smile

Tell us a little about yourself and more info on where, and what, you are trying to test. Do you have any prior telco experience?

Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: butt set - 07/06/06 11:59 PM
I would google the name and model of your test set and most likely find a user guide. I've never found that it mattered which side the clips are on.
Posted By: Kyle Re: butt set - 07/07/06 05:48 AM
Each phone line is one pair of wires. They're called tip & ring, from way back in the cord-board days. The black goes on tip, red goes on ring. Tip is the top position of the pair on a 66 block. There are 25 different pair positions on a 66 block, assuming you're testing from an RJ-21X Demarc.
Posted By: skip555 Re: butt set - 07/07/06 05:58 AM
some have a polarity tester built in or a LED for polarity , if you want to check polarity you need to pay attenion as to which clip to tip and which to ring otherwise it dosn't matter .
Posted By: anthonyh Re: butt set - 07/07/06 06:18 AM
You will also need to know if it is a ground or loop start line, chances are if it is just a plain old telephone line (POTS) it will be a loop start line. Also be careful the test clips are not touching each other, the will cause a short, which will at the least give you a lot of static but will probally knock out dialtone.
One last thing, if their are bridge clips on the block you will want to remove them, so you can isolate one side of the block from the other. If you have good dt with the clips removed, and loose it with the clips on you know the trouble is beyond the block.
Posted By: hbiss Re: butt set - 07/07/06 06:39 AM
Why don't you just try it and see for yourself. Not like you are going to blow something up and destroy the world.

-Hal
Posted By: anthonyh Re: butt set - 07/07/06 07:20 AM
gotta a point their Hal
Posted By: twisted pair Re: butt set - 07/07/06 07:46 AM
Well, you may not blow up the world, but I've had the fire department show up.

I was trying to find a new untagged POTS line installed on an old 66 block. This was a very old industrial building with 9 sprinkler risers. Come to find out they had these risers monitored by an old McCulloch loop (direct wire) to the fire department. When I clipped my buttset on that pair, it was enough of a short to cause an alarm.

Problem was, I didn't know what had happened until I had firemen standing behind me in the plant. They told me that an alarm came in on an old monitoring board that they weren't even sure that still worked or not.

Needless to say, with them there, I refound that pair and tagged it.
Posted By: grider Re: butt set - 07/07/06 11:51 AM
What color is the butt set, and where did it come from. I know this sounds like a dumb question butt it may be important.
Posted By: rich30529 Re: butt set - 07/07/06 02:12 PM
Hmmm...maybe he figured it out ??
Posted By: hbiss Re: butt set - 07/07/06 02:38 PM
...or clipped on 240 volts. :nono:

-Hal
Posted By: rich30529 Re: butt set - 07/07/06 02:43 PM
That would explain him not getting back to us :shrug:
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: butt set - 07/07/06 02:48 PM
POOF!
Posted By: grider Re: butt set - 07/08/06 06:26 AM
I really wanted to know how he got the buttset.
Posted By: scotttoolguy Re: butt set - 07/08/06 07:45 AM
Probably Home Depot or something like that. Now everyone is a phone guy.

Scott
Posted By: Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie Re: butt set - 07/09/06 03:16 AM
Well EXCUSE ME Scott, "Now everyone is a phone guy."

Some of the smartest techs out there sit down to pee because they they have the equipment you want to use, not the equipment suited for a urinal.

If you're married, have your wife hit you in the head with a heavy frying pan. If you're not married, don't get married, there is no sense in making a woman miserable.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: butt set - 07/09/06 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie:
Well EXCUSE ME Scott, "Now everyone is a phone guy."

Some of the smartest techs out there sit down to pee because they they have the equipment you want to use, not the equipment suited for a urinal.

If you're married, have your wife hit you in the head with a heavy frying pan. If you're not married, don't get married, there is no sense in making a woman miserable.
Gees Bunnie, lighten up. I don't think he was trying insult the other gender. He was just making a point that, it seems, so many people think they can do our job.

Life's too short to get offended by everything & anything.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: butt set - 07/09/06 10:54 AM
Hey, I don't know about your equipment but mine is adaptable to sit OR stand. And I can write my name in the snow! :banana:
Posted By: OBTW Re: butt set - 07/09/06 11:40 AM
Same here
Only my bladder emptys before I can spell my last name . wink

I can understand his confusion , there are 2 leads and 2 wires :scratch:
Posted By: grider Re: butt set - 07/09/06 01:19 PM
Are we trying to be politicaly correct and say "phone person" as opposed to "phone guy" in this current thread. Or am I confused again? :scratch:
Posted By: justbill Re: butt set - 07/09/06 02:11 PM
call it phone tree..that will cover all the branches. :rolleyes:
Posted By: ElmerFudd Re: butt set - 07/09/06 10:54 PM
Bunnie,Bunnie,Bunnie
I think you are being to hard on Scott . I think he meant "Guy" as a generic term! Woosen up a bit . Wife is way to short to worry about gender rewated things ! I truwly think Scott was just posting without mawice . smile
Posted By: Spuds Re: butt set - 07/10/06 01:12 PM
If I only had a dollar for everytime some one has used the term you guys when talking to women. If it were a perfect world maybe things would be different. Just lighten up he is just trying to help the poor guy out.

Mike
Posted By: hbiss Re: butt set - 07/10/06 01:41 PM
I use the term "guys" all the time particularly when talking to groups of girls (or mixed groups)in their teens and 20's. It's become a colloquial term for "people", "ladies" and "girls", none of which would fit the age group.

-Hal
Posted By: scotttoolguy Re: butt set - 07/10/06 10:15 PM
Phone "tech" if that'll make you happy!! I was not trying to incinuate that women were the problem, which they are not. The point I was trying to make was that with the home centers offering telecom gear, anyone can buy a buttset or toner, etc. and say they are in the phone business. Has happened more times then I care to mention, when I have had to go fix a problem started by a so called wanna be technician. Sorry for the ruffled feathers Bunny.

Scott.
p.s. yes I am happily married (10 years and counting)
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help