atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hi.

My corporate office had a almost a brand new PBX system that is maybe 1 year old. Its pretty much the state of the art system with VOIP capabilities. It does everything the company needs and more without any problems.

The company hired a new tech guy who said that we should trash the PBX system so he can build us a Asterisk system instead.

Do you guys thing this is a good idea?

I am not sure what advantage the company would get from the asterisk box over my regular phone system (especially when it runs everything my company need just fine)

However this guy insist that we need to “ Upgrade to Asterisk” however I’m not sure if that would really be an upgrade or more of a downgrade.?

Thanks.
Eventhough Asterisk is good for smaller applications, and if you can get things setup it can be good for bigger applications, but I would suggest keeping the new PBX.

Asterisk is now Trixbox, and it sounds like the IT guy just wants a new project. I would have to ask how many extensions there are, but I don't believe it would be to the benefit of your company to trash a nearly new PBX and install something like an Asterisk in it's place.

Is your current PBX a true PBX or a VoIP PBX?
Originally posted by coolphonesrock:
Hi.

It does everything the company needs and more without any problems.

I am not sure what advantage the company would get from the asterisk box over my regular phone system (especially when it runs everything my company need just fine)
Seems to me like you just answered the question yourself.
Ask him how many successful installs he's done with the Asterick and call those people to see if they like it or not.
sounds to me like the IT guy just wants something to play with. If the PBX fits your needs I would stay with the PBX
The “Upgrade to Asterisk” will have some associated expense with little or no return. There is a good chance that the end result would be misery. Don't do it!
Mike
There is no need to get rid of the PBX but adding an Asterisk to it could give you lots more flexability and features. If your IT guy knows what he is doing with Asterisk he should be able to intergrate it WITH the PBX.
This is REALLY a bad idea!!! Pack your bags now. Because you are both going to loose your job. Going from a "state of the art" PBX to an Asterisk box will be a disaster. Not saying Asterisk doesn't work, but an Asterisk box is not a business class solution. By doing this you are commiting carear sucide.

If this guy wants to play with an asterisk box, then trunk your current PBX to an asterisk box.
What PBX do you currently have now?

Ask your IT person what this 'at a risk' (Asterisk) will do that your current PBX wont do.
Asterix isn't the worst system in the world, even for a large company. But there's a significant hidden cost - phones and support.

If the current system isn't a standard SIP VoIP product, then you're looking at spending another 100 bucks each for new phones.

Almost any Asterisk system is going to require the full-time effort of a well-trained IT guy. That means that you'll need ANOTHER IT guy to do the normal day-to-day BS work that your current IT guy can't do because he's administering Asterisk.

Asterisk = your RISKing your ASTE (ass)
OH MAN - RCA stole my joke while I was still typing it!!!!!!!!!!!
posted 07-21-2006 02:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi.

My corporate office had a almost a brand new PBX system that is maybe 1 year old. Its pretty much the state of the art system with VOIP capabilities. It does everything the company needs and more without any problems.

The company hired a new tech guy who said that we should trash the PBX system so he can build us a Asterisk system instead.

Do you guys thing this is a good idea?

Take the "new" guy aside and tell him he's full of it. Your PBX ain't broke and he isn't the telephone guru.

Let him build an asterisk on his own time.

However this guy insist that we need to “ Upgrade to Asterisk” however I’m not sure if that would really be an upgrade or more of a downgrade.?

Run this past the controller. Tell him you want to toss all the phones and PBX into the dumpster and buy a new phone system to make the new employee happy.

When he's done laughing, move on to the next project.

Carl

The person who hired this guy is a bigger idiot than the idiot he hired if he is even willing to listen to this BS. There is no such thing as an "upgrade" to Asterisk.

Your current system is new and does what you want. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

-Hal
I say GO FOR IT! I am certain you wanted to get a new job anyway. Maybe you and the IT guy can go into business together after you both lose your jobs.

Seriously, this about the most foolish thing I have ever heard. You need to find a new IT guy.
I agree with the above, it sounds like he just wants a new toy to play with which, even if he knows exactly what he is doing and everything goes incredibly smoothly (not likely), it will now become his full time job to administer.
This is just another case of "you can't fix stupid". Hal hit the nail on the head. If its not broke, don't fix it.
I agree with liquidvw "This is REALLY a bad idea!!! Pack your bags now. Because you are both going to loose your job." I thought that was particularly funny.

I agree with anthonyh "sounds to me like the IT guy just wants something to play with."
Your new "tech" guy sounds typical of ppl who think the world will stop spinning if they are not involved in it.

I agree with Hal "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I'm assuming you the administrator of the phone system? Tell the new guy to mind his own business. The PBX I have is about 10 years old and still works fine.

Richard
Hi.

Its an Offiserv 500 https://www.samsung.com/Products/BusinessTelephoneSystem/DigitalTelephoneSystems/iDCS500.asp

The phone system is my office has maybe 90 people and it’s absolutely mission critical. If our phone system are down and people are unable to call us in order to buy or sell stocks. It can be disastrous for the company. So having 100% uptime is an absolute must.

I like new technology and applications as much as the next guy however a working phone system in a mission critical application is not the time or the place to play with new toys in my opinion.

Just for the record, I immediately told him that we are fine with our current phone system and did not want to play around with an asterisks system since our system worked perfectly fine.

However the next couple of weeks he kept pushing the asterisk system every change he got. He would print out pictures of the phones and put them on my desk every morning and keep asking me about it in the hallway, etc..

This guy has also made a lot of other recommendations that make absolutely no logic.

The sad thing is there are people at the company who will just blindly follow that this new tech guy said without following any common sense.

If you ask him to explain the logic, he just starts getting upset and start yelling his head off.

So I am going to have to see how this turns out.

Thanks.
If you ask him to explain the logic, he just starts getting upset and yelling.

That's something they learn in Microsoft MSCNE school. How DARE you mere mortals question ME? I am an IT guy!! puke

-Hal
That's funny Hal.

Coolphonesrock, have your IT guy sign up as a member here and we will get to the bottom of this.
Ran into the same kind of EGO Moron IT guy in the east bay . When I told him his DHCP Server was missing option 125 . I left the job site . He still does not have the problem resolved ! :shrug:
My knee-jerk reaction? It's him or you! Better pack your stuff b4 you throw down the gauntlet. Might even polish and distribute your resume. I pity people that get stuck in your position. Unless something changes, the new guy will probably get his way and the company will get screwed. Unfortunately, you'll get canned because he proved that you were right! Standard corporate reverse logic. Good Luck.
You could bud nip him by asking about Redundency & Resilencey ! Take 30 minutes and google each . :toast:
your idcs500 should be fine. you CAN interface it with asterisk (done it at my office with a idcs100)
In my opinion going from the Samsung 500 to the asterisk system (and don't get me wrong, I am an open-source advocate) would be about the real world equivilant of going from a 3 story colonial with an attached 3 car garage containing 2 suv's and a speed boat going to a one room cheap hotel with an inflatable raft and a bicycle. But, the choice IS yours to make, you do the math.
He wants to go from a working NEW PBX to an Asterisk box? What?!? Talk about wanting a disaster..especially after having GOOD phones and then working off a SIP telephone. In a word, I would can the IT guy and get someone that knows WTF they are doing and talking about.
One Thing
What I Learned a few years ago about IT Snoops , is they feast of Acronym's . Use a few TDM/PCM Acronmy's . Mention BGM over individual IP sets . They change the subject right away . Mac can tell you the reason . Traditional TDM who cares how many people have a BGM/Music Key ! My 2 worthless cents again ! IP is all bandwith . Think about a user times 50 users with a music on / music off key . If one user listening to BGM occupies 40k bandwith due to BGM x that by 50 . A small shared Data /T1 could run out of Bandwidth if word got around that "Stairway To heaven Was The MOH Flavor Of The Day" . Funny how the most innocent things bite you in the A$$ . Ed hurry back , my "Hunt N Peck Fingers Are Wore Out" ! welcome Back Ed smile
If you ever decide to get rid of the Samsung, I'll trade you sip phones for the Samsung phones and throw in 500 dollars for the cabinet.
I think it';s a great idea. Dump the PBX, pack it with the phones and send it to me. I will pay shipping and $1000.00. Let me know when to expect it.
I can do better than that! I'll de-install and haul away, NO CHARGE! Heck of a deal! John
This has got to be the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard and I'm usually the guy on here who stands up for VOIP (along with a few others)

You can argue about the validity of the reasoning to go or not to go voip, but at least there IS a reason.

This guy sounds like he just wants to justify his paycheck or thinks that hew will get job security by implementing this system that he can "manage". I'd fire his ass double time!
You have stated that your phone system is absolutely crucial to your business....
I would ask:
How often has your phone system (the Samsung is a very nice product, btw) been down since you installed it?
How often have you had to reboot your server during the same time frame?
Phone systems are manufactured to be extremely reliable and to function for years with little or no down time.
Most IT guys are satisfied with a network 95%-98% up time.
Why replace something that is built to function 24/7 for years with something that will go down and need a reboot once every couple of weeks?
You need to begin documenting the situation. Print out what has been said here. Pay particular attention to those who have said that they advocate IP and open source and why they think this is a bad idea.
On this forum, you have tapped into one of the largest and best informed group of telecom professionals in the country. Pay attention to what they have had to say.
My offer still stands
I don't know if you have noticed but most IP "PBX" providers only support LS Trunks now . They can't/have a difficult time detecting a disconnect signal from a GS Trunk reliably . They can recognize DT as a disconnect signal . Also see if you can have BLF'S on remote sets , the list goes on & on ! IMHO ! smile
Originally posted by paul144:
You have stated that your phone system is absolutely crucial to your business....
I would ask:
How often has your phone system (the Samsung is a very nice product, btw) been down since you installed it?
How often have you had to reboot your server during the same time frame?
Phone systems are manufactured to be extremely reliable and to function for years with little or no down time.
Most IT guys are satisfied with a network 95%-98% up time.
Why replace something that is built to function 24/7 for years with something that will go down and need a reboot once every couple of weeks?
You need to begin documenting the situation. Print out what has been said here. Pay particular attention to those who have said that they advocate IP and open source and why they think this is a bad idea.
On this forum, you have tapped into one of the largest and best informed group of telecom professionals in the country. Pay attention to what they have had to say.
To answer your question.

The Samsung phone system has been extremely reliable and flexible. It has fit exactly what we are trying to do without problem.

The network servers on the other hand are always having software and hardware glitches.(Even the servers running Linux based operating system which are suppose to be a lot more reliable than windows)

I think its becoming pretty clear what the correct decision is.

I have to figure out how to minimize the damage this guy is going to cause not just to the phone system but also in other areas with similar situations.

Thanks for all your advice.
Who is the little snot that deleted my second post?
Assuming this this thread is not a total troll (no offense, but nothing surprises me anymore), I don't think you have much to worry about.

You sound like you have a decent grasp of the issues and I'm sure you'll have no trouble explaining to the executives exactly why this is a bad idea. Besides, the whole "leaving pictures on your desk" would seem to indicate Mr. IT is in search of an audience and hasn't yet convinced a decision-maker that Asterisk is the way to go.

If I were you, I'd write a small "White Paper" comparing the 2 systems, pros/cons, etc. Keep it to yourself, and if it ever becomes an issue, simply provide each exec with a copy. Problem solved. Until next time, at least...
I would email the link to this thread to your bosses. Sounds like the IT guy is trying to justify his job by creating busy work. It doesn't appear that he fits into the company very well, or has a care about costs and consequences. A pink slip sounds in order.
The only time I see people talking about Asterix is when

1) They are technical and want something new to play with
2) They feel the "free system" will be in fact free and replace whatever they are using which is often broken or outdated
3) They want to move to VoIP and the current system doesnt allow it...
4) They want something completely customizable

As previous people have said... the OfficeServ 500 has all those features built in... Why would a business ever want to change that?
Amanda,
Are you refering to the Samsung OfficeServ 500?
Right after your last post (July21), the original poster mentions this is his existing switch.
Originally posted by Clinton:
Right after your last post (July21), the original poster mentions this is his existing switch.
DOH! My bad.

Richard
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help