atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jimmmaaa Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 08:53 AM
I wanted to put in a very small phone system at home, may 3 lines, and was wondering if there are any used that I could find for about 200 bucks. I mostly wanted it to teach my kids some about phones and also thought it would be fun, but I am not very familiar with small systems. Any pointing in the right direction would be appreciate. It is not an urgent request, I just wanted to start researching it.

Thanks,
James
Posted By: dtmf Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 09:08 AM
For the price you mentioned your not going to get much of a system. You might want to check out e-bay but be sure it's a working system before you buy it.
Good luck
Posted By: jimmmaaa Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 09:12 AM
How much would I need to spend to get a decent refurbished system?
Posted By: dtmf Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 09:25 AM
I would say from $500 to $700 depending on what features you want.
Posted By: mitchthephoneman Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 12:29 PM
HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!
Posted By: openwire Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 01:55 PM
James,
email me at
[email protected]

Bruce
Posted By: DrPbx Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 06:49 PM
Get a Partner ACS, 2pr wiring, but easy to understand & fairly cheap.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 12/31/02 08:14 PM
>>I mostly wanted it to teach my kids some about phones

Just what part of the telephone/telephone system did you want to teach your kids?
Posted By: jimmmaaa Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/01/03 01:19 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by test-ok:
>>I mostly wanted it to teach my kids some about phones

Just what part of the telephone/telephone system did you want to teach your kids?
</font>

Tip and Ring, maybe cross-connects and then we would maybe get a T1 coming into the house, ISDN of course, What do you think I would want it for? It would just be cool to have about 3 extensions in the house, my kids love phones, I would then be able to show them CAT 5 cabling and they could go do some jobs with me, doesn't everbody have their kids do that? "Hey Johnny, did you bring your punch-down tool? What do you mean you lost it, that thing cost me 65 bucks, I am going to have to dock you pay, no breaks for you.":-) :-)

It was just a silly idea I guess, Test-OK, you ever a crazy idea that you probably will never do?
Posted By: mitchthephoneman Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/01/03 03:59 AM
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR........to heck with the phone system for your house.........amd spend more time watching those KINGS!!!!!!!!

GO VLADI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/02/03 08:52 PM
I am 15 and my dad works at a telecom company. He is a lawyer. I have never been into anything in the legal system.
However, I am totally into telecommunications and I have done several jobs with techs at his office (cabling, Iwatsu ADIX installs and moves). He does not know a lot about technology, I do. I have a complete voice and data MDF setup in my basement, all the tools (except a butt set), and tons of cable, jacks, etc etc. I have done work for a couple classmates at school too.

[This message has been edited by jeffmoss26 (edited January 02, 2003).]
Posted By: mitchthephoneman Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 03:05 AM
There is more money to be made in the legal business..........become a lawyer, learn law, its an interesting thing.

The telecom industry hopefully will recover in 2003, but I still think the conflict between our needs for wireless,land lines and high speed lines are gonna keep the industry at bay for awhile.

Actually you ought to become a telecom lawyer, cause this industry needs some serious regulations in place....
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 06:25 AM
There are some parts of law I am interested in, like business law and I have helped my dad when he had to write specs for a job.
I too hope that this industry changes for the better. So many companies are calling it quits. We are lucky that the company my dad works for has been around for over 50 years, is still owned bu the original family, and has a great reputation.
Posted By: jimmmaaa Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 07:47 AM
Hey Jeff, that's great about all the telcom knowledge and skill you have at an early age. I wish I had had the skills like that at your age, all I did was waste time playing video games! Never stop learning
Posted By: Z-man Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 09:03 AM
Jeff, for a change I agree with Mitch. Become a lawyer and forget about the telephone business. You will retire alot earlier in life.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 11:22 AM
i knew i shouldnt have posted about my dad being a lawyer, just kidding... [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: JJ Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 11:40 AM
Jeff,

Listen to the words of experience, the others in this forum can help you.

Do not limit yourself to just Telecommunications. I have been a Communications Technician for 17 years and am looking at changing careers. The Telecommunications industry was a viverent industry, but it is in a slump. You need to have something to fall back on. Look into Engineering, there are some schools that offer Telecommunication Engineering degrees. Just do not limit yourself and Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited January 03, 2003).]
Posted By: mitchthephoneman Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 01:40 PM
Z-MAN, for once you agree with Mitch!!!!!!!!

whadda mean.......my feelings are hurt......
Posted By: mitchthephoneman Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 01:43 PM
CORRECTION for Z-MAN, my post should have for a change I agree with Mitch!!!!!!!

im hurt........and I though all Coloradians were such pleasant people. After all I lived on Garrison St, in Lakewood for 4 years.......
Posted By: codasco704 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 05:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jeffmoss26:
I am 15 and my dad works at a telecom company. He is a lawyer. I have never been into anything in the legal system.
However, I am totally into telecommunications and I have done several jobs with techs at his office (cabling, Iwatsu ADIX installs and moves). He does not know a lot about technology, I do. I have a complete voice and data MDF setup in my basement, all the tools (except a butt set), and tons of cable, jacks, etc etc. I have done work for a couple classmates at school too.

[This message has been edited by jeffmoss26 (edited January 02, 2003).]
</font>
Heh, I figured I was about the only teenager on this board. I'm 16. And, as you do, I take a great interest in telecom. I installed a system in my house (Comdial Executech (hey, I was on a low budget)). I just wish I had jobs to do...Neway, to answer jimmmaaa;s question: If you look on ebay you can find a nice system. I've seen a few complete Panasonic KX-T systems and the Occasional Nortel Norstar system complete with key sets and everything for around $200. However, at that price, you can more or less foreget about voicemail. If you wanted to go even cheaper you could get an used Comdial Executech (possible even an Executech II series) system for under $100. I got my NO308 with three sets for $80. Another possibilty would be the VoiceLogic VoicePro. It sells for around $100 on ebay. It's a small 2x6 system with a very small integrated voicemail system (up to 85 boxes, and 2 hours of recording time I believe). This system also uses your existing 1 or 2 line phones (however, no voice paging is available). Anyway, just wanted to put my 2 cents in.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 08:22 PM
yeah, i figured i was the only teenager here too. i dont have a phone system (yet) but hopefully i can get the old Inter-Tel AXXESS that has been sitting at my mom's work for 2 years. No phones unfortunately, but I can try to get some from my dad's work (buy old ones or work it off)
Also, Im not necessarily considering telecom as a career. Maybe networking, web design, etc. I took some web classes over the summer and enjoyed them a lot.
Posted By: Z-man Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/03/03 09:47 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mitchthephoneman:
CORRECTION for Z-MAN, my post should have for a change I agree with Mitch!!!!!!!

im hurt........and I though all Coloradians were such pleasant people. After all I lived on Garrison St, in Lakewood for 4 years.......
</font>

Mitch, no offense was meant. Just trying to keep you east coasters in line. Being so close to the capitol, you guys end up breathing a lot foul air. I just installed a system out in D.C. I don't how you guys live out there. Man, I could not wait to get back to the Rockies. Kudos on the seafood though. Got to give credit where it is due. If you see any politicians out there, tell to take a good visit to the Jefferson memorial. They all could use a refresher course on public service. Later dude!
Posted By: mitchthephoneman Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/04/03 04:21 AM
the 2nd greatest thing in the world is watching the sunset over the rockies and enjoying rocky mountain oysters (hahaha)

BUT the 1st and most greatest thing in the world is watching the sunrise over the ocean, sitting on a boat sipping cognac and puffing on a cigar and then enjoying fresh clams, oysters (not rocky mountain), lobster and crabs,

OOOHHH what a minute.....I just woke up.....

mitch taylor
[email protected]
Posted By: codasco704 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/04/03 05:59 PM
yeah, i figured i was the only teenager here too. i dont have a phone system (yet) but hopefully i can get the old Inter-Tel AXXESS that has been sitting at my mom's work for 2 years. No phones unfortunately, but I can try to get some from my dad's work (buy old ones or work it off)
Also, Im not necessarily considering telecom as a career. Maybe networking, web design, etc. I took some web classes over the summer and enjoyed them a lot.
</font>
No, I don't think I would wnat a career in telecom either. Nor do I have that option since I go to a college prep school (wouldn;t mind installing a few small systems on the side though). If you do wind up with that Inter-Tel system you will have yourself a nice system. I can't say the same for mine. Mine sucks! If I wasn't going on a spring break trip I would buy a brand new system. Of course, then I have the problem of my parents. They don't quite understand my interest in this stuff, nor do they want a system installed in the house. Therefore, as it is, I only have 2 stations on my system. Despite my numerous requests and trying my hardest to make them understand that having a whole house system could be a very good thing, they REFUSE to allow any more staions on the system. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

[This message has been edited by codasco704 (edited January 04, 2003).]
Posted By: txfoneman Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/04/03 07:15 PM
i've been doing telecommunications since 1979, i'm ready to cook frys & flip burgers.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/04/03 08:16 PM
Im going to college for sure, dont know what I will study, but working in Telecom at my dad's work is a great summer job.
Since my dad works in the industry, he understands some of the stuff. As long as I dont bust too many holes in the basement he is ok with it. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: codasco704 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/04/03 08:47 PM
Im going to college for sure, dont know what I will study, but working in Telecom at my dad's work is a great summer job.
Since my dad works in the industry, he understands some of the stuff. As long as I dont bust too many holes in the basement he is ok with it. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
</font>
You would think that my dad, being in the computer/internet business, would understand. Oh well. You have given me a good idea though, My dad's office has a rather old Vodavi (Infinite with the flaky old analog sets I think) that more than likely could use some work. I think there might be a good summer job oppurtunity there...hmmmm
Posted By: davtekT00 Re: Cheap system to put in at home - 01/08/03 11:44 AM
If you really really want to play with a system, I have an old comdial 308 with four or more phones i will let you have for 200 bucks....i even have a manual....the phones arnt in the greatest condition, but they all work. It was the first system i installed in my house...now i have a norstar meridian so it would be my pleasure to pass it along to some. [email protected]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help