atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Laura Figueroa WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 02:38 PM
So, we started out with a Neax IVS 2000 (10 years old), and the person I replaced here decided to replace the Neax with a Merlin Legend R7 (2 years newer than the Neax, I believe). We've since discovered that there are newer, better options out there, and don't necessarily cost more, and would most certainly be much more upgradeable in the future.
We are now shopping around again for a new system with a few base features, but are having trouble picking a brand. There've been horror stories with almost any brand you could mention, but usually that's a dealer problem, not always with the phone system itself.
I know everybody has their own favorite phone systems, but if it's at all possible, could someone recommend a phone system based on both our present and future needs?

We currently need an 8x15 system with voice-mail, auto-attendant and possible outlook integration (we'd prefer to be able to code the program ourselves, but realize a lot of the phone systems are proprietary that way, or only work with MS). We'll be looking to expand that by 50/60 phones at some point, so being able to go beyond 20 or 30 phones is essential.
Ease of use is, of course, mandatory. We'd love something that doesn't require a technician out every time we want to re-program one or two things.

We also need wireless phones and/or headsets, since there's a huge warehouse we must navigate to do various things, and we need to keep our hands free.

does anybody have any suggestions at all on brands for any of the above? I've heard that plantronics is the best in the headset field, and while I don't really have a valid opinion on the matter (headsets don't fit in my ears very well), I tend to agree with that consensus

thank you for any time any of you put into this, it would be very much appreciated by both myself and my boss
Posted By: nonameyet Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 02:45 PM
Look at ESI Systems , They start as small as 4X8

and grow all the way up to the newest 600

Phones will work on any of the ESI platforms.

All of the features You are looking for are already Built in !

www.esi-estech.com/
Posted By: MooreTel Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 03:18 PM
Nortel MICS system & phones, Plantronics CS-55 or CS-70 Headsets should do the trick.

Dave
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 03:28 PM
Originally posted by nonameyet:
Look at ESI Systems , They start as small as 4X8

and grow all the way up to the newest 600

Phones will work on any of the ESI platforms.

All of the features You are looking for are already Built in !

www.esi-estech.com/
yes, they start out that small and you can buy a bigger one. I want a system that can be upgraded itself, or to a newer machine for a discount from the manufacturer since we've got a previous machine
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 03:29 PM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Nortel MICS system & phones, Plantronics CS-55 or CS-70 Headsets should do the trick.

Dave
How easy to use is the Nortel?
and thank you on the Plantronics recommendations
Posted By: MooreTel Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 04:41 PM
Nortel is very flexable. I've sold Nortel to many client who had other systems before and couldn't believe the big differences and flexibilities with Nortel.

Mind you, there are some annoyances as well, just like any system.

I know that Nortel is not that big in the States, but in Canada, it was and still is very popular, thanks largely to Bell selling it.

To me, I can just tell perpective clients to look around in almost any commercial office or store & they'll see Nortel systems.

What do you mean by a system that "upgrades itself"?

Dave
Posted By: metelcom Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 04:55 PM
The Transtel TDS series has web base programming which makes changes as easy as point and click on a web page. The basic system starts out with a 80 port cabinet which you can stack upto 640 ports. I would suggest something like the Engenius cordless phones for your warehouse.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 05:17 PM
Get ahold of a certified Panasonic dealer and take a look at the TDA system. Start with a 100 and everything but the empty cabinet will grow with you into the TDA 600. The system has a proprietary 'mini-cell' system that will work perfectly in your warehouse. Of course, a lot of other brands have pretty much the same features. As you observed in your postings, most problems wind up being dealer non-support, which is not a brand specific problem. To plagarize the real estate industry,'dealer, dealer, dealer.

John C.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 05:49 PM
I agree. The Panasonic TDA is perfect for the application. The phones themselves have a relatively large footprint, but since they stand up at a high angle, it's not too much of a problem. If you are seriously needing wireless, it really does offer some pretty exciting flexibility.

Vodavi's XTS will also give you the expansion you need by just adding expansion cabinets and cards. All original cards remain, except for a possible processor upgrade when going beyond certain capacities. In a single-system environment, it will provide up to 492 stations, or 600 total ports.

Both of these systems are only sold by certified dealers, so they aren't going to be the cheapest ones you might encounter. By your having gone through two systems already in ten years indicates that someone was shopping based upon price only, not the quality of the dealer.

That's the key: The installing company. THEY are what will make the system do what you need. The cheap ones are just looking to make a quick buck, so you need to steer clear of the price mindset. Being a legitimate installation company requires significant training, inventory, inside AND outside support personnel, warranty, licenses (NOT just business licenses; CONTRACTOR'S licenses), spare parts inventory.......the list could go on forever.

You'll find that there are quite a large number of great systems out there that will meet your current and future needs. I just can't stress enough that you aren't buying just a product; you are entering into a relationship with your dealer. That makes this a decision that's so easily clouded when shopping with price blinders on. Do it right, interview many dealers and check their licensing and references thoroghly. It also doesn't hurt to ask for proof of liability and worker's compensation insurance. If they can't provide you with this, well there's your sign.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 06:26 PM
Originally posted by clightninghorse:
Of course, a lot of other brands have pretty much the same features. As you observed in your postings, most problems wind up being dealer non-support, which is not a brand specific problem. To plagarize the real estate industry,'dealer, dealer, dealer.

John C.
Welcome to the board Laura.

What John has said is very true.

The dealer you buy from is one of the most important decisions you will have to make. As there are many systems out there that will do what you need.
I would definitely ask for a reference list and use it.
Posted By: brokeda Re: WTB new phone system - 01/26/07 10:22 PM
Panasonic TDA has the best wireless solution of any system I know of, main points being coverage, ease use (ie- buttons for functions instead of complicated codes) and a low price point for the components. Easy admin, IP options, PC console for recption. Stable software, does not need to be shut down for regular maintenence.
The wireless could be cell station based or just use the basic system cordless 7896, depending on the size and construction of the structure.
Either way the ease of use is tops.
If there is no Quality dealer in your area--
Forget about it!
As for self programming-- many systems now have extensive user programming. Have put in many computer based systems that boast self admin, and still get lots of calls for help. yes the end user can do it , but after the initial setup may not use for months and then can,t remember how, or get lost as to how to acomplish a task. A good dealer will be able to swap extensions and make any change right down to a speed dial button on any phone remotly
for much less than on site service. The only reason for on site visit would be to install new wire or other hardware or annual maint checkup.
Sorry, here,s the soapbox back>>
Posted By: grider Re: WTB new phone system - 01/28/07 04:44 PM
Originally posted by MooreTel:

To me, I can just tell perpective clients to look around in almost any commercial office or store & they'll see Nortel systems.

Dave
Nortel makes a quality product and they are everywhere, same with Avaya. I'm not going to degrade either one of them but I would like to throw out this analogy:

In the mid 70's everywhere you looked you saw General Motors and Ford autos rollin down the road. Occasionally you would see a Datsun or a Toyota.

In my opinion Nortel & Avaya are good products but not the best just because they are in every Walgreens.

John
Posted By: Z-man Re: WTB new phone system - 01/28/07 08:13 PM
For ease of use, dependability, quality, and availability, I would go Nortel. They seem to have stepped forward and really taken the small to mid-size business' in mind, especially the last few years. As much as I love Avaya, they seem to have abandoned the smaller systems to focus on large PBX apps. But I agree, the bottom line is dealers and support. Also, there isn't any coding in phone systems. They all have proprietary programming. Some can use a Windows GUI interface or web browser interface to do admin programming, but you don't actually write any of your own code.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: WTB new phone system - 01/28/07 08:23 PM
You might want to look at the NEC Aspire series. It has everything and can expand to a pretty good sized system. They have a really nice wireless setup as well as micro-cell and the whole thing can be programmed from a web browser. NEC leads all others in these size systems for market share.
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 06:01 AM
I guess we'll be shopping for a good dealer, then.
So far all the ones I've encountered seem to also be sales-people.
I've seen websites that take your information, what you need, and sell your phone-number to companies who then fax or email you quotes without ever coming in contact with you as a person. It's insanely aggravating.
Should I grab the yellow pages and look up companies, what should I do?
Posted By: grider Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 06:14 AM
Laura, if they won't come visit with yoou in person then your better off finding someone who will. There is nothing wrong with the yellow pages but bear in mind that those of us on this side of the fence get our share of "tire kickers" that have no intention of putting good quality equipment in their business. I know for a fact that ESI can send a qualified reseller to see you and the same is probably true for Samsung-Vodavi-Yada-Yada-Yada. Since ESI has been mentioned here is how to get the ball rolling.

https://www.esi-estech.com/about/

Stay in touch with us till your decision is made. We are very good at weeding out sales baloney.

John
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 06:48 AM
my boss added cell-phone integration to the list of "cool things it could do"
he'd like to be able to have a cell-phone integrated into a base, so that if a call comes in it'll go to the phone or the cell, depending on whether you're at your desk or not
I believe I've seen this in some movies, and it requires a cell-phone charger-type thing that connects to your phone -- not sure, though!
any thoughts?
Posted By: skip555 Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 07:42 AM
the cell integration would be something to talk to the vendor about , there was a product out that I thought would go well I bought one took it around and demonstrated it to clients I thought would benefit , no one shared my enthusiasm so I wound up using it here until I changed cell phones (it only worked on certain phones )

that plus radio shack was selling them for less than I was paying .

a google search brought this up

https://www.cordlessworkz.com/index...195&gclid=CIaFra_7hYoCFQK8SgodeXvZLQ

integration is something for your vendor
Posted By: brokeda Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 08:21 AM
The cell systems we are speaking of are part of the phone system, meaning you have a cordless phone that
works just like your desk phone, not your personal
Cell phone.
Panasonic and others have Personal Cell phone twinning, where your personal cell rings at the same time as your regular extension whether your cell is on premis or in another state.
What skip555 brought up is a device that you plug your personal cell phone into when you get to your office, most of them are connected to outside or inside antennas for best recption in your building. These units plug into your phone system as an outside CO line.
Therefore if your personal cell was put in as line 10, then your personal cell calls could be answered by any phone that was set to ring for line 10, and you could pick up the call at any phone on your system.
Twinning the Personal cell is easier but requires 2 lines and works best with digital lines (T1 or PRI) But if your personal cell does not work well in your building you would need a repeater for increased signal.
Posted By: tampasteve Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 08:36 AM
Steering clear of a lot of the questions and coments: Cell phone integration. There are several things this couuld mean to us.

1. "I want my cell to ring at the same time as my desk phone and when I answer it at eitehr one I want it to stop ringing on the other. Also, I would like to be able to transfer callers back to other telephones in the office."

2."I want my cell to ring if I forward my phone."

3."I want my system to call me if I recieve voicemail messages."

Answers:
1. Several systems do this. Tadiran includes it in their IPX systems standard. Mitel also has it, but it costs extra. Other manufactureres also probobly can do this, but those are the ones I know. It also does not matter what cell service you have.

2. Basically any system can do this. However, once the call is on the cell phone it is stuck there (IE, you cannot transfer it back to the office).

3. Almost any voicemail system can do this now.

Steve
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 08:42 AM
I am interested in the first one
we want full integration

Originally posted by tampasteve:
Steering clear of a lot of the questions and coments: Cell phone integration. There are several things this couuld mean to us.

1. "I want my cell to ring at the same time as my desk phone and when I answer it at eitehr one I want it to stop ringing on the other. Also, I would like to be able to transfer callers back to other telephones in the office."

2."I want my cell to ring if I forward my phone."

3."I want my system to call me if I recieve voicemail messages."

Answers:
1. Several systems do this. Tadiran includes it in their IPX systems standard. Mitel also has it, but it costs extra. Other manufactureres also probobly can do this, but those are the ones I know. It also does not matter what cell service you have.

2. Basically any system can do this. However, once the call is on the cell phone it is stuck there (IE, you cannot transfer it back to the office).

3. Almost any voicemail system can do this now.

Steve
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 11:17 AM
Laura

You have described AVAYA IP Office.
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hitechcomm:
Laura

You have described AVAYA IP Office.
wouldn't it require transferring on the computer rather than from the cell-phone itself?
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 11:26 AM
one other thing that comes into question is: is this even possible WITHOUT the use of VoIP?
I'm sure forwarding to a cell is what we could do until VoIP gets more reliable -and- we get a better internet provider. that is, unless there's a non-VoIP solution.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 12:07 PM
Yes. The Tadiran uses standard digital trunking for it's "flexicall".
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 01:38 PM
I called up tadiran, got in contact with michael. He gave me a lot of information, and it sounds like that's the way we're going to go
now the question is: are there any tadiran technicians in this area? If not, how easy are they to install?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 01:52 PM
I think that would be a good question for Michael if he was whom you spoke with at Tadiran. There may be dealers there that we are not aware of. As far as how easy are they to install...they are not plug and play. Tools, training, certification, etc. etc.
Posted By: Laura Figueroa Re: WTB new phone system - 01/29/07 02:12 PM
Michael gave me a number for Tom who he believes is in charge of parts of the west coast, including the SF (Bay Area). He's out of Arizona. I am definitely interested, and the it person at our east-coast operation is just as interested.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: WTB new phone system - 01/30/07 07:39 AM
That Tadiran is not for the non-certified. The basic install class is three weeks..and it's pretty grueling. First time I went, many moons ago, 3 IT guys were dismissed the first day when they couldn't setup or explain a basic E&M circuit. Luckilly they have web based tools now and classes for admins.
Posted By: Telradmaniac Re: WTB new phone system - 01/30/07 04:23 PM
As much as I'd like to jump in here and yell out

GO TELRAD,

I can't.

Panasonic is the most reliable, cost effective system that I have seen. (I used to work for a Panasonic Dealer)
Posted By: Allworx Re: WTB new phone system - 02/01/07 08:02 AM
Allworx is a very cost effective solution and able to do all of the features that have been asked in this thread. smile
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: WTB new phone system - 02/01/07 06:23 PM
PM sent.
Posted By: Milestone Re: WTB new phone system - 02/12/07 07:47 AM
Laura,

You should take a look at Allworx before you commit, the features you are looking for can all be integrated into an Allworx solution and you could go on vacation with the money you'll save. But most definitely you should only be considering VoIP systems.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: WTB new phone system - 02/12/07 08:34 AM
Really? Can Allworx tie a cell phone to the station that it's ringing at the same time? Can Allworx transfer calls back through said phone into the phone system as if it were an extension? Can Allworx bring the call back after said cell phone rings into the companies own voicemail? Can Allworx identify caller ID from said cell phone and allow the caller to turn on and off features from that phone? If it can do all that I would be interested to hear.
Posted By: Milestone Re: WTB new phone system - 02/13/07 07:57 AM
Ouch! You've got me on that one smile I was thinking more along the lines of a simple cellular gateway for the cell phones which would hang off analog ports on the Allworx. This swould allow call forwarding, tranfers etc.
Posted By: grider Re: WTB new phone system - 02/13/07 02:31 PM
That settles That.....
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help