atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Steve Mull air compressor creating noise - 04/25/07 05:55 AM
I have a system that is installed at a dentist office, that has an air compressor that I believe is creating noise on the CO's, not sure if it is on the providers side or mine.Does any one know if there is any type of filter I can put on the lines for this??Customer complains of a wineing noise on the lines, say's it only last a little while, they can not tell when the compressor is running .
Posted By: STS E Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/25/07 06:14 AM
Steve

Is the KSU on its own power outlet ?
Are there station runs close to compressor ?
Posted By: BOBCOMM Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/25/07 06:28 AM
Sounds like one of those problems you'll have to be onsite to troubleshoot for the source. Connect your buttset to a length of cable long enough to get you away from the compressor but close enough to hear when it kicks on and make a phone call out ( it might take a few minutes for the thing to kick on--call someone you like smile ). If you hear the noise when it runs,it's telco.If not, well, get to work (see above reply). Good luck.
Posted By: hbiss Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/25/07 07:00 AM
First rule is never take the customers word for anything. YOU are the one who is supposed to be experienced in these matters so get over there and see for yourself.

I seriously doubt that it is the compressor. Nothing there that would cause a whining noise. Easy enough to determine as was mentioned.

-Hal
Posted By: BOBCOMM Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/25/07 09:52 AM
So true Hal--If I believed everything my customers said, I would surely be the owner of that 'oceanfront property' in Arizona by now. :rofl:
Posted By: CheatinChad Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/25/07 05:01 PM
I have never seen an air compressor cause noise on a pots line. This doesn't mean it's impossible but it's definitely not common.

STS E and BOBCOMM both give good courses of action.

BTW: I love Squidbillies!!! "I got my truck-boat-truck"
Posted By: ALLN1 Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/26/07 10:22 AM
As has been stated prior.

I would go out and check for yourself.

STS E and BOBCOMM's Ideas would be where I would start.

Also what type of system is it?
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/27/07 08:18 AM
It is an ESI 56's, I went out there yesterday and of course it was fine while I was there, and the customer also informed me that this has been goig on for 10 years, said when he has called Bellsouth before and they come out that the problem was in there system(typical for Bell) I will be returning next week to do a few odds and ends an will check with buttset on bells side.
Posted By: HutchComm Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/27/07 08:25 AM
Was thinking maybe a RF chock on the JK that have the CO's coming in, if its not a definate on the CO's causing the interferance. Better safe than sorry i guess.It's worked for me in some of our off premise locations from a local LEC doing the same.
Posted By: hbiss Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/27/07 10:31 AM
I went out there yesterday and of course it was fine while I was there...

Most importantly did you wait for the compressor to kick on?

-Hal
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/27/07 11:04 AM
I hung around for an hour and a half and it never kicjed on , they had a voicemail that was recieved after hours and you could here the hum/wine , I don't think that it is the air compressor, it shouldn't kick on when it is not in use.
Posted By: skip555 Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/27/07 11:20 AM
see if you can get them to turn off the compressor at night
Posted By: hbiss Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/27/07 11:23 AM
I don't think that it is the air compressor, it shouldn't kick on when it is not in use.

I agree with both statements. Just to satisfy them all you have to do is open a blow gun (or whatever dentists call those things) and the compressor should kick on. Keep in mind also that there should also be a vacuum pump for the spit suckers. Works the same way- turn something on.

-Hal
Posted By: Toshiba Bob Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/29/07 05:07 AM
Here is a small one that drove me crazy once. Almost the same thing was being complained about...it turned out to be that on the opposite side of the wall in the next suite, a dentists office, was there X-ray equipment on the wall. Everytime they took a picture it would cause RF or EMI and the our customers KSU would glitch. some times calls would drop but mostly the calls in progress would here a white noise that quickly got louder and then as quickly went away. It took us a while to figure this out, we changed KSU's, ran new grounds, had electrician in.

Air compressors will lose air overnight and recycle some of the times so its not uncommon for a air compressor to kick on at odd times.

We also had a building issue in a strip style office park where the huge on the ground transformer just outside the customers back door was causing power issues for several customers. They came out and repaired something and everything was fine. The electrician discovered this one. Also a machine shop's electric welder caused problems once that was solved by using shielded cable for the shop phone.
Posted By: BOBCOMM Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/29/07 12:56 PM
Another thing you might double check--is the noise REALLY on all lines, or as is customary, the customer pays no attention to when the noise occurrs and just tags the complaint to 'all the lines' when only one is actually affected.
Posted By: Steve Mull Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/30/07 06:12 AM
Toshiba Bob , what was the fix for the office with the X-ray equipment causing the problem?? I never thought about the X-ray machine
Posted By: Toshiba Bob Re: air compressor creating noise - 04/30/07 03:21 PM
We had to move the system and backboard to another wall. We extended the lines and house cables on a couple of 25 pairs with no problem and never had a reoccurance.
The issue was the KSU's motherboard or processor and not the cabling bringing the EMI/RF into the system. It was that they were in fact ...back to back.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help