atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: surdel Telephone tech employee always late - 08/10/07 08:30 AM
I have been ontime almost every day since working for this company while working at a CO doing a major battery change out but the problem rises from one of my companies other employee who is cronicly late. Not just late but 2-4 hours late showing up. He has had his excuses and some are well unexcusable. While his lateness does not affect me since income wise we are assisting another subcontractor doing a battery change out it will once I am under his wing again and learn from him. Today was a good example as he just got up at 8:15 am. He just called this morning at 8:15 said he slept in so what does this mean? I get a smaller pay check? Im sorry I want to work 40 hours a week or more.

So I am looking for another company that installs cisco routers or the expantion cards. Would offer some training funds fiber termination cabling. Included is network cableing and fiber termination. The markets are here in Vancouver BC and upper Washington state.

My goal of course is to increase my earning power by doing more cisco configurations and eventually pass my ccna cirtifications. I also plan on learning software development should this be a more lucrative form of income.
Posted By: jwooten Re: Telephone tech employee always late - 08/11/07 05:10 AM
Obviously you are very young and you're already learning from your senior! "On time almost every day" says volumes. It's time to grow up and quit worrying about everyone else. Believe me, your employer knows what's happening. You were hired because that same employer saw potential in you that others failed to live up to. It's not enough to be "on time". Be early! It will pay dividends down the road.
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: Telephone tech employee always late - 08/11/07 06:29 AM
When I worked for the phone company, I was one of those. I always got there at 8:10 or so and I can't even remember why. Of course, I solved that problem by leaving after 5:00 and not charging overtime and my supervisor and I didn't have an issue.

Spend some time practicing your writing and communications skills and learning your job.
It will do you a far better job than worrying about your co-workers. Work your time and learn how to make the best of the situation. If you're subbing, don't you think that the supervisor and subcontractor you're subbing for notice what's going on? Be sure to make an appearance, on time, and look busy. A winning attitude and eagerness to learn will get you points so that when a layoff occurrs, you may find yourself staying and your slackard co-worker going.

Good luck to you.

Carl
Posted By: 5Etek-mike Re: Telephone tech employee always late - 08/11/07 07:47 AM
You're already on the right track. Despite the obvious frustration, you have a healthy and positive attitude. Like Jim and Carl mentioned, consider this situation of your having to work with this slacker as an oportunity for you to even better demonstrate your own ability to stay focused on enhancing you own work ethics, skills, and responsibilities. I'm certain that the higher-ups are already taking notice. When it comes to future promotions or layoffs, this will pay off in your favor!

GOOD LUCK, AND 'STAY WITH IT'! :thumb:
Posted By: surdel Re: Telephone tech employee always late - 08/11/07 08:04 AM
Thanks guys,

Unfortunaly I am not young anymore. But I do want to work over time and that means getting to work on time. Also, I tend to be a bit of a insomniac so getting up before 5 am is not unusall for me.

My goal is to progress into a position that provides a higher income. I dont know about this company but seems thay are taking contracts that are hours and hours away from the lower mainland. As far as the higher ups well its a small company.

Its just me the other employee and supervisor for our branch. HQ is located back in Ontario. I am seriosly contemplating on looking for another company to work for that has better and LONGER contracts. Lots of work in the lower mainland with the 2010 olympics comming up and a returing workforce no need to commute hours and hours away to do a 4 hour job.

BTW heads up in the CO. The company was purchaced by ATT and layed off lots of techs over the yers. At one time it has 60 techs and engineers working inside. Today it has only 15 employees and alot of work is subbing out.
Posted By: Gene Re: Telephone tech employee always late - 08/11/07 03:22 PM
AMEN! Bro. Wooten
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Telephone tech employee always late - 08/11/07 09:40 PM
Surdel:

I sure understand and appreciate your frustration.

If I were in your position, I'd work on my spelling and grammar and start sending out my resume'. Be careful: Proper spelling and grammar are crucial if you want to be taken seriously by potential employers. You might want to think about hiring someone to prepare a resume' for you.

I have found that slackers at my company are the biggest source of frustration amongst employees. I appreciate those who report this so that we can remove them, but with my company being small, it's difficult to get anyone to point a finger in dealing with such people.

Slackers at larger companies are very difficult problems as well, and even more difficult to address. Perhaps it is time to remove yourself and find a position with a company that won't tolerate such tardiness.

Best of luck in this matter.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help