atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: surdel does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/19/07 05:19 PM
The other day I was testing all the connections on a bix wafer for the first time gettign anic numbers and came across a pair that had a pulsing sound on it. The other pair was more of a wavy sound. These are not even close to the sound of a modem. Now if this is the case, how do I call the ANIC telus callback number to get the number from these pairs?
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/19/07 06:59 PM
DSL typically rides on a pair with dial tone. Yes, it makes a noise that you can hear on your butt set, while in the monitor mode. If you go off hook, you will hear the noise stop, and the DSL modem will lose synch until you go back to monitor, and then it will have to retrain.

The solution is to get a DSL filter and rig it up so if you hear DSL in the monitor mode, you can put it inline to get the dial tone without affecting the DSL.

Other digital services that don't ride over dial tone can have similar sounds, and you can mess them up by going off hook as well. It's best to know what it likely to be there when you start running a block.

A T-Bug can be useful to detect pairs with digitial services before you just hunt and peck.
Posted By: skip555 Re: does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/19/07 07:30 PM
like tommy said you can make a adapter with a Dsl filter or you can use a butt set like this fluke ts25d that has ai built in filter press the dwon button and you have filtred dialtone to ANI
Posted By: justbill Re: does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/19/07 08:35 PM
Moving to general.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/20/07 04:33 AM
Please note as well, LEC's & CLEC's are now offering "Dry DSL" or some other term which means DSL without any dial tone.

Dave
Posted By: surdel Re: does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/20/07 11:32 AM
Is there a filter I can buy for my Fluke Butt Set? This set is new so dont want to invest in a new one.
Posted By: WRichey Re: does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/20/07 02:12 PM
cheap route

Purchase a filter at radio shack, crimp a mod plug on a pair of cross connect, grab your wires with your gator clips and your set

:thumb: laugh
Posted By: justbill Re: does dsl make a audiable sound? - 08/20/07 02:12 PM
I'm sure your butt set has a mod plug your test cord plugs into, just plug a DSL filter into that and your test cord into the filter.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help