atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Matt1964 Trimline Question - 11/10/07 03:16 PM
Hello -

I've just mounted one of the old style (round buttons) Trimlines in my bathroom. Can anyone tell me which terminals are used to supply voltage to the handset lamp - and what voltage it needs? It looks like the same style 10v lamp from a 1A2, but just want to make sure.

Thanks!
Matt
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Trimline Question - 11/10/07 03:42 PM
Looking at my old schematics collection, looks like the transformer is "6-8V 60~", if modular connects to the Black and Yellow of the line cord.

Internally, the yellow connects to Terminal "3", along with the white conductor to the handset, while the black connects to Terminal "1", along with the blue wire from the hookswitch (which is normally closed, the other side is orange, connecting to terminal "4" with the black conductor to the handset)
Posted By: justbill Re: Trimline Question - 11/10/07 03:46 PM
I'm sure TTT has it right. I couldn't find my station book, but I remember they were 6 volt lamps.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Trimline Question - 11/10/07 04:13 PM
WE 2012A transformer, 6-8 volts.

The lamps are 52-types; physically, they are slightly shorter than a 51A, which uses 10 Vac.

You won't blow anything up by experimenting to see which leads are the right ones.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/10/07 04:36 PM
Thanks all -

TTT had it right, terms 1 & 3. I hooked it to the 10v of my KSU. Lamp burns a bit brighter than perhaps it should, but it will only be off hook maybe 5 times a year (That's a rough guess based on the number of times I've been in the bathroom when the phone rang) for about 1 minute per call, as I really don't enjoy bathroom phone conversations. I just put the phone in there because:

1) It's not normally something you see in someone's house (kinda like ... maybe a 1A2 system)
2) I think it looks cool
3) I had to do it to bring the upper level of my house closer to my personal telephone code; para. 1, section 2; subsection 2.1.0.4:

There shall be no distance greater than seven feet in which a telephone is not available.

But Arthur - bad news - you got this one wrong.... sorry; I hooked it all up, took it off hook, and my neighbors house exploded. smile

So, just 4 more 1A2's to put in, and 2 more trimlines.

I'd hate to think what would happen if it was the old days and ma bell would come knocking (supposedly, anyway) if your ringer equivelance value (I think that's what they called it) went over a certain threshold. I saw a Green Acres the other day, and apparently the thing that people used to have to do was have one or two phones, and if they wanted to talk in a different room they had to unplug the phone and plug it back in wherever they wanted to talk from.

Thanks again all -

Matt
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/10/07 04:52 PM
One other thing, and I have to share this as it's never happened to me before.

There was a cold water pipe already running up the stud space I wanted to mount the phone over. One hole drilled in the sheet rock, a fish tape fed from below, grabbed it through the hole with a coat hanger, taped the wire to the fish... had the whole thing mounted and wired in 10 minutes.

Then with your guys help got the lamp working.

Never had this kind of luck with anything in my life, as far as mounting electrical/electronic devices in my house. I've talked about it in other threads, but last time I tried something like this I drilled straight through a 220v cable.

That was interesting; and there was absolutely no doubt what I'd done, what with a blue flame shooting out of the hole for a brief second, and my extended drill bit melted by 1/4".
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/10/07 08:30 PM
I think you are going to find that you are going to need "A" lead control on those babys with a 1A2.

-Hal
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/10/07 09:09 PM
YES!!!!

I want, if possible, to only have 2 of them. All my single line phones are home run, or at least... they will be. I'm hoping I can use one for each incoming CO line; keeping in mind I have absolutely no idea how these devices are connected in.

May you by chance know of a source?

Thx
Matt
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Trimline Question - 11/11/07 05:09 AM
Don't know about your area, but around here, it is illegal to install a phone in any bathroom....shock hazard.

"There shall be no distance greater than seven feet in which a telephone is not available."

I find that statement to be totally ridiculous.
Posted By: Kumba Re: Trimline Question - 11/11/07 07:09 AM
For some reason, I think I can resist the urge to answer the phone when in the bathroom. If it's important, they can leave a message. Unlike some of my customer's I have never missed a million-dollar phone call.
Posted By: justbill Re: Trimline Question - 11/11/07 07:18 AM
Back in the good ol' days, a phone in the bathroom was not an unusual request. Never had a shock hazard problem because of the low voltage.

Dave I think the 7 foot thing was Matt's way of saying he can't have too many phones on his 1A2.

Lastly Matt you can get a device that when you go off hook it controls the A leads and I'll bet you know which popular member of this board has them in supply.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Trimline Question - 11/11/07 07:19 AM
bathroom phones are pretty common around here in the upscale houses

(lets just be glad their not video phones ) wink
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Trimline Question - 11/11/07 10:33 AM
Re Skip's comment. SHUDDER! smile John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: Silversam Re: Trimline Question - 11/11/07 10:48 AM
Matt-

You can rewire a trimline phone for A lead control. According to the IT&T Telephone Instrument Maintenance Manual (Timm-2, 4-70, Price $5.00), you need to do the following:

Switchook leads:
Brown from C to G
Yellow from L2 to 3

Ringer leads:
Black from 3 to C
Black from G to C

Mounting cord:
Red from L2 to C

Capacitor:
Black from L2 to L1
(note: Capacitor connects A-L1)

This appears to be for ITT Trendline models 200, 254, 2200 & 2254. It may or may not work on your model.

If you need it I can scan the paperwork and send it out.

Or you could order the A lead control modules and eliminate all wiring.

Sam
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/11/07 03:07 PM
This is why the Trimlines for use with 1A2s didn't use modular line cords. You need T/R, A, A1 and the ringer. That's 3 pairs and if you are going to use the light 4.

-Hal
Posted By: Murray Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 09:25 AM
I have a trimline installed by Ma Bell with my 1A2 system in 1978-1979 that has lighted push buttons and A Lead control that uses a modular cord. How can I rewire another Trimline for A-Lead control to use in the system?

Murray
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 10:50 AM
Wow

Thanks all - I ran cat 5 to the phone, so I've plenty of leads.

I'll play with this tonight - but.... I have other non trimlines.... so I'll need the gizmo anyway..

Mr. Ed is all out of them.... he told me once who had 'em... but I cleaned out my inbox -anyone know who has 'em?

Thanks
Matt

PS:

As far as having a phone within 7 feet of another... just part of my style you are going to have to learn to like... or not....to each his own. JustBill was right on the money.

Shock hazard? I'd be happy to be killed by a phone. Can't think of a better way to go. Also you'll find them in most upscale hotel bathrooms.

Kinda also ruins the idea of a phone in the kitchen.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Kumba:
For some reason, I think I can resist the urge to answer the phone when in the bathroom. If it's important, they can leave a message. Unlike some of my customer's I have never missed a million-dollar phone call.
Yes, I agree - but I telecommute. Can't miss a call; not good for business; let alone if my boss calls. And I really hate doing the "crab walk" from the bathroom to the office.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 02:04 PM
Yes, I agree - but I telecommute. Can't miss a call; not good for business; let alone if my boss calls.

Wow! They couldn't pay me enough money for me to put up with that crap! Your boss wouldn't last 5 minutes.

-Hal
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 03:36 PM
Lol

Nobody's making me do it.... it's not like an order or anything.... I just like to provide good customer service, even if it's "I'm busy, can I call back?" vs. an unanswered ring.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 03:39 PM
Never heard of a $15 answering machine?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 04:12 PM
I have a phone in every room except the bathrooms, living room (nobody ever goes in there), and dining room. We even have a phone in the garage. Sometimes my dad wants to use the phone while mowing the lawn :p
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 04:21 PM
My point was that if I was the calling client, I'm pretty sure I'd rather get an answering machine, than get answered between "bathroom noises"
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/13/07 05:37 PM
We have a competitor, a platinum dealer who occupies the same building as the company my wife works for. They are so cutthroat that their sales weasels take their cordlesses into the mens room and can be heard making deals in between flushes.

If that's what it takes to reach the platinum level there's something wrong.

-Hal
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 10:57 AM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Never heard of a $15 answering machine?
Yes, I've heard of one. Answering machines are one level worse than no answer at all.

I'm capable of suppressing "bathroom noises" for the 10 seconds it takes to tell a client that I'll call right back.

As a customer, I don't like answering machines, or "Press 1 to do such and such"... I like to talk to a human.

This is the way I run my customer service department. If you ever call, I'll make sure to not answer or let the answering machine pick it up.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 12:48 PM
"As a customer, I don't like answering machines, or "Press 1 to do such and such"... I like to talk to a human."

Ahh, the good old days. Unfortunately, they are all but long gone. Nowadays, almost everyone has either an answering machine +/or AA.

Many years ago when my 1st wife & I broke up, I got an answering machine. She told me that she wouldn't talk to it. She was given a choice of two; "Talk to it" or "Talk to a ringing phone"...she learned to deal with it, as most people eventually do (especially since I had the kids).

Personally I'd rather leave a message and thus put the onis on the called party to return the call in lieu of trying over & over to reach them. I have better things to do.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 01:28 PM
"As a customer, I don't like answering machines, or "Press 1 to do such and such"... I like to talk to a human."

Unfortunately most humans can only do one thing at a time. Unless you are the Maytag repairman you're not sitting around waiting for my call. I would much rather leave a voice mail message (or email) that you can attend to when you have time than waste my time trying to get you in person. So it works both ways.

The "I hate voice mail" line always comes from the same people who are never satisfied anyway so why bother. Do what makes life easier for YOU and the hell with them.

When I call my distributor most times I'll get my reps voice mail. I just leave my order and a day later it arrives. If I wanted to talk to him I would have to sit around the office all day.

-Hal
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 04:21 PM
Unless you are the Maytag repairman you're not sitting around waiting for my call

I'm not the Maytag repairman, but I am waiting for a call. All Day, Every day, 24x7.

This is the whole reason you all met me - I needed a second line to answer those calls, always wanted a 1A2.

Perfect match.

I need calls. I want calls. If I have to put them on hold, I want MOH to at least give the perception they are dealing with a reputable company. True, MOH doesn't imply a reputable company per se; but it does give the customer the "feeling" that the company they are dealing with isn't running out of their basement.

Perception is fact.

And when I get that call, I do everything within my power to make the customer satisfied. So I can make a sale. So I can pay my mortgage.

The first step in all those goals is to have voice contact with the customer.

I would much rather leave a voice mail message (or email) that you can attend to when you have time than waste my time trying to get you in person.

I see your point, however, to me an answering machine implies that the person calling isn't important enough, or that the company isn't big enough - to make human to human contact. Just sends a bad message, IMHO.

It does go both ways, I agree; but it depends on your customer/supplier base, and the business you are in.

My business is a bit different. I get calls from people that need their software problem fixed... I don't have distributors, I don't order things, etc. If there is a problem, it's with my software, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

IMO, this in something that requires immediate attention, whether or not I'm on the john. The problem is expanded by an order of magnitude when you realize that everyone else I've sold my product to has the same problem, whether or not they have yet realized it.

Regardless, I've always operated under the principle that the customer comes first, regardless of all else.

Respects,
- Matt
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 04:37 PM
My business is a bit different.

No, not really.

I get calls from people that need their software problem fixed... I don't have distributors, I don't order things, etc. If there is a problem, it's with my software, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

How about:

I get calls from people that need their telephone problem fixed... If there is a problem, it's with my equipment, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

Looks like you are in the same boat as most here.

-Hal
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 05:36 PM
We have pretty well trained all of our core customers to e-mail us today with a problem, comment, or whatever; we look at it either tonight or tomorrow morning--then either e-mail them back or give them a call. Many days---all of us are out either making sales calls, meeting with people, doing MACs or installing new systems. W're very busy. Time is precious.

If the new people who call get upset with leaving a VM message (it IS almost 2008) that's the first step in the "weeding out" process.

There are times when I call forward to my cell phone--because there might be a call that I really want to take---but that's only once or twice a week.

On the weekends--all calls are answered by AA--even the residential calls. If they don't know my cell number and can't press "1" or "2"--then call Monday. JMHO
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 06:09 PM
They always have the choice of a emergency mailbox 24/7. They leave a message and it outcalls to my cell. I call in and listen to their message then I decide whether it's a real emergency. I never give out my cell number to customers.

If the new people who call get upset with leaving a VM message (it IS almost 2008) that's the first step in the "weeding out" process.

I agree.

I see your point, however, to me an answering machine implies that the person calling isn't important enough, or that the company isn't big enough - to make human to human contact. Just sends a bad message, IMHO.

I would agree with you there about an answering machine. It looks real shabby for any business to be using one. On the other hand a voice messaging system can make a small company look like a fortune 500.

By the way, how long before your "frequent callers" realize that you are a one man show? How many can you help at once?

-Hal
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 06:17 PM
JW -

Everything you have just described is a new market opportunity for the hard working company. Imagine a company that actually talks to their customers, LISTENS, and resolves their problems.

What year it is doesn't make any difference. People want quality service. The fact they havn't gotten it in years doesn't change the fact.

Also, people are generally very forgiving if you explain why/what the problem is.

Ma Bell (whatever that is now) to this day has set the standard for excellence. Even with all the deregulation - you can bet if I picked up my phone and got no dial tone, not only would I be shocked... I'd be diappointed and somewhat pissed. If I didn't have a clear signal or a call dropped - well, I don't know what I'd do because in 43 years (my age) it's never happened, not once, save for the occasional tree falling over a line.

Microsoft and cell phone companies have lowered the bar beyond the pale.

Everyone expects crap cell phone service, crap software, crap customer service, ridiculous contracts and high prices.

I see a niche that needs to be filled. And it's so much easier (and enjoyable) to provide quality than crap.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 06:38 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
My business is a bit different.

No, not really.

I get calls from people that need their software problem fixed... I don't have distributors, I don't order things, etc. If there is a problem, it's with my software, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

How about:

I get calls from people that need their telephone problem fixed... If there is a problem, it's with my equipment, and it's preventing people from doing their job.

Looks like you are in the same boat as most here.

-Hal
Yes, but if the phones go down, do you lose the productivity of the entire company? Can accounts payable/recievable continue to process thier data? Can employees log on and do their jobs?

If the phones go down, do you have to pay a staff to (in some cases) to reformat and reload every PC from scratch? Do you have to pay them to do that? Do you have to pay for the loss of revenue while that's going on? Are there backups to restore from?

Do the phones going down prevent manufacturing, packaging and shipping from doing thier jobs? Can the customer get status on their order if the computer network is down?

You are right, we are in the same boat. Both items provide critical functions. the loss of either can have disastarous results.

But I still don't see how any of this relates to me choosing to take calls in the bathroom.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 06:43 PM

By the way, how long before your "frequent callers" realize that you are a one man show? How many can you help at once?

-Hal
Ah - I'm not a one man show. I work for a larger company, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to telcommute. I will say I get more done from home than I have in 27 years in the IT industry, on a per job basis.

However, to your larger point.... I just write software. The better I do it, the less support calls I get. No software is perfect. It all has bugs. Catching and killing all the key ones are what's critical; the rest are released on either an emergency patch basis or wiating till the next minor release.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 06:54 PM
I see a niche that needs to be filled. And it's so much easier (and enjoyable) to provide quality than crap.

Most of us here also share your commitment to customer service but we have a life also. There can come a point where you start sacrificing your own life and even your sanity and health if you become too obsessed with your business and satisfying your customers.

Not being able to go to the bathroom without worrying about missing a call- well, in my opinion, that's a bit over the top.

-Hal
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 07:11 PM

Most of us here also share your commitment to customer service but we have a life also. There can come a point where you start sacrificing your own life and even your sanity and health if you become too obsessed with your business and satisfying your customers.

Not being able to go to the bathroom without worrying about missing a call- well, in my opinion, that's a bit over the top.

-Hal
Agreed.

However it's the way I am..... and ... I don't have a life.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 07:17 PM
I have like 10 phones in my basement, just because I can smile
4 digital phones and 1 or 2 Single line phones on my Inter-Tel system, 1 digital phone on the Nortel, and a handful of SL phones on my POTS line.
Posted By: The phone Man Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 07:34 PM
Hey Matt

I really like the fact that you support software and you work for a large company. I was a one man show but I would not count on signing a big job that would feed my family that could not wait until I got done doing my business in the restroom that is the reason god made AA. PLUS I have never ever seen a fortune 500 company with a phone in the JOHN. Sorry to burst your bubble but as hard as I work during the day the last place I want to see a phone is in the restroom. I am on 24 hour call every day but if my boss calls he can wait until I get out the john. Any decent person can understand that.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 07:36 PM
Jeff, you gotta get a life, or wife. smile

Matt: At 43, if you haven't learned to settle down, and set your priorities in a better method, you due for some serious health issues sooner than you'd like. You don't have to believe me, talk to your doctor.

Hal is right on target. I as well started my business with 24/7 service available until I realized my kids were growing up without me and that the client/provider relationship needs to be a 2-way street.

I was on a residential repair job several years ago on a Friday night around 7 PM at a student's dorm. I get about 1/2 way done and they started to jab with lines like "What are you doing working here on a Friday night?", "Don't you have someplace else to be?" and "Man, getta life".

With that last one, I said "Fine, it's down the street, see you on Monday morning", packed up my tools and left.

From there on, only business clients with a service contract get service outside of normal hours.

I have a great life now!....and no I don't answer the phone while on the john....
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 07:37 PM
Yeah Dave, I know. It's a hobby, remember smile
Posted By: The phone Man Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 07:46 PM
Well said dave
I use to think that my company came first until my second divorce and I see my other kids mabey 2 times a year that sucks but I thought my customers came first now if I am busy doing someting in the restroom. Thank I can promise you Auto Attendant is a much more better response than any response I can ever offer a customer when in the john.

All I can offer is a good number to a shrink that can give you some serious life changing advice that can better you as a business owner. We are self employeed for a reason that reason is because we have a real life that does not include customers that don't pay or make us do something for nothing. I hope you get a grip on your personal time after work and enjoy your life because man we only live once.

Best of luck in the future
Posted By: justbill Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 08:19 PM
This topic is really going down hill. Time to flush it? :rofl: Sorry couldn't help myself. I do believe it's run it's course so unless there is more on a trimline phone, let's let it die.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 09:03 PM
Matt, I can help you rewire the sets for a six-wire connection without the need or expense for A lead adapters. If the sets are modular, I have the six-wire sliding plugs and mating jacks, or you can just hard wire everything if you prefer.

Don't use 10 volts for the dial lamp. It might seem like just a minute or so, but when you practically double the intended voltage, the heat will quickly distort the lamp socket and eventually the housing. You really need to use the proper 2012B transformer. I can help you with that too. Just let me know what you want to do.
Posted By: The phone Man Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 09:05 PM
ED TO THE rescue
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Trimline Question - 11/14/07 09:10 PM
[Linked Image from radarforum.de]
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 06:55 AM
OK OK OK

Maybe I didn't give enough info. 95% of the resaon the phone went in the bathroom is because I think it looks cool. It mkes people scratch their heads. There have been occasions, however, when I have company who are using the bathroom and get a call.

It's also great fun to get a personal call when taking a dump. Especially if it's a sales call. In this event, I make no effort to suppress bathroom noises.

Also, my goal is to have 30 phones in my house (The ringer is only turned on in a few of them). I'm 40 - 45% there. Why do I wnt this? Same reason as above, and... it's a hobby that consumes my time and teaches me new things. Most impotantly, it introduces me to great people such as are in this forum.

I'll probably never take (and certainly never make) a work call when I'm in the bathroom. But it could happen, and it could happen to be a very important call. I like to be prepared.

Dave - been there, done that. 7 Years at an LD working 24x7, 70 - 80 hours a week, 2 cells, a pager, and my desk phone.... and every project I worked on was a multimillion deal that had no chance at success. NONE.

My typical day was either going to meetings, creating meetings, or ordering people to do things that made no sense. The blame game, risk escalaions, dealing with fiefdoms.....

For example I had to make a plan for the Y2K fiasco, which nearly cost me my job because I pointed out how silly it was. I knew lots of people buying generators, food, you name it... OMG! the world is ending.

My repsonse: You f***** idiot. What you don't know is this software you think is going to crash and cause the earth to spin out of orbit crashes EVERY DAY (a bit of an overstatement), and has since software was invented.

So there I was, from 8 PM to 2 AM on 12/31, with a crew of about 10, monitoring DMS 250's and ATM swithces, waiting for the great apocalypse. Midnight rolls around, not so much as as hiccup or even an incorrect log entry.

Health eventually went down the tubes; mentally and physically. It taught me my limits, and how to acheive balance. The thing is - I enjoy my work now, and I may work 12 hours a day..... if I want to. But the deal is: I enjoy it. Before I know it the clock has ticked to 5.

Also I went to the doc this week: Weight: fine. BP: Fine. Cholesterol: 145. Triglycerides (whatever they are) more than fine. The only thing slightly off was my hemoglobins, as I'm a smoker, but not off enought to worry about. LUng cancer is something else, but that's my choice.

Another thing - I have no kids, no wife. No family life to miss out on, although I do get together with my siblings for some poker or to watch a football game from time to time. But you're point is very valid. The LD experience put me in the hospital for a week. If I feel I'm approaching my pain threshold, I tell my boss to f*** of, this is too much, and I'm not going to do it.

Right now though, I'm really enjoying everything I do, from work to my new 1A2 hobby. Also I walk the dog a couple miles a day. I have to think all this is helping my overall physical health, cerainly my mental health. I'm happier than I have been in years, and am learning to live life all over again.

I really appreciate all your concern....but I'm having a ball.

Well, gotta go now - the trimline is ringing.

Thanks -
Matt

company drove me to the brink.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 06:58 AM
Originally posted by justbill:
This topic is really going down hill. Time to flush it? :rofl: Sorry couldn't help myself. I do believe it's run it's course so unless there is more on a trimline phone, let's let it die.
Agreed -

Ed -

Yes, please help.... I ran high quality cat 5; so I have an extra pair for a lamp; right now it's punched into into my KSU. Simple matter to mount a new transformer. May have to think about getting one of those outlet strips like what is in your pictures though.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 07:12 AM
You really need to use the proper 2012B transformer. I can help you with that too.
He needs a 2012A, 6-8 volts. A 2012B has a voltage that is too high.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 07:57 AM
I ran high quality cat 5...

:rofl: :rofl:

CAT 5 in the same topic as Trimline is blasphemy!

-Hal
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 08:05 AM
Yikes! Nice catch, Arthur. The "B" would be a little bit high, like three times!
Posted By: skip555 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 08:46 AM
I ran high quality cat 5...

:rofl: :rofl:

CAT 5 in the same topic as Trimline is blasphemy!

-Hal
yea but Hal , he may need that cat5 to the bathroom for a "data dump " sometime wink
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 09:05 AM
Is that catological humor?
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 11:35 AM
lol

I say high quality as the conductors are thicker than normal; I'd say about as thick as the cross connect wire.

Maybe it's cat5E, dunno. But the wires are definately thicker.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 01:53 PM
CAT 5, CAT 5e etc. is always 24 ga, has to be to maintain it's specs for data. I saw someplace that some CAT 6 is 23 ga.

It's CAT 3 and non-catagory that can be had in 22 ga or larger. Cross connect wire is normally 24 ga.

-Hal
Posted By: Silversam Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 02:07 PM
I ran ITT shielded Cat 6 and it was 23 AWG. When I worked for GTE our House cable (Vertical Side of the frame) was 24 AWG, and our Switch cables (Horizontal side)were 24 AWG, but our X-connect wire was 22 AWG. Engineering felt that this was a potential weak point that had to be addressed. And the xconnects were wire wrapped - not punched down.

There is something to be said for an outfit that stressed quality.

Sam
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 03:09 PM
Most cat 6 is 23 gauge.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 04:56 PM
our Switch cables (Horizontal side)were 24 AWG, but our X-connect wire was 22 AWG. Engineering felt that this was a potential weak point
How did they arrive at the reasoning that a thicker wire was a weak point? And weak in what way?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 05:07 PM
Arthur:

I think that Sam was referring to the use of anything smaller than 22 gauge would be a weak point.

My guess would be that frame wire endures quite a bit of stress due to long runs and being tugged by other jumpers that are entangled with it. Not to mention that it has more tensile strength when it's run for hundreds of feet.

Then of course, there's always the concern that the tension placed upon it when being wrapped can cause it to fracture without it being detected right away. Frame blocks don't provide the individual "per-pair" fanning strips like 66 blocks do, so the jumper conductors really have to fend for themselves with regard to stress and movement.

I don't think that I've ever seen frame wire that wasn't 22 gauge. As if I'm telling you anything that you didn't already know. :p
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 05:29 PM
I looked at the jacket, it's 24 ga.

It's all I had at the time, Ed's gonna hook me up.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 06:14 PM
Ed -

You're right, the engineers felt that the weak point in the circuit was the xconnect so they boosted the wire size to give it more strength.

We were required to use the appropriate cutting/stripping tools for wire wrapping so that cut down on the cracked wire, but there were always some guys who insisted on stripping with their pliers, dykes, shears etc. Even while they were looking at a set of strippers hanging on the frame.

I think we did have per pair fanning strips on the old Newton bakelite Blocks, but maybe those were just for the house/switch cables and not for the xconnect. My memory is fading on some of those things.

Sam
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/15/07 08:02 PM
I've always used my teeth for stripping.

Well, until I was 14.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: Trimline Question - 11/19/07 10:56 AM
i am a bit like jeff, my hobby has always been phones, i until a week ago even refused to carry a cell phone but due to family with health issues i picked one up. A phone in the john is just over the top to me. When i was 15 i had about 10 phones in my parents house but NEVER did i have one in the john! i was shocked though visiting model homes here in montreal and a phone jack in the bathroom is now a big thing :S
Posted By: skip555 Re: Trimline Question - 11/19/07 11:55 AM
when I was in my teens and on it wasn't quite legal for anyone but telco employees to have anything to do with phones
(not that that stopped me )

when there was a phone issue and we had to call them out , it was quick, which phone is it again we rent and which ones do we have to hide ?

what extensions are legal and which do we have to disconnect and hide the wire ?

smile
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Trimline Question - 11/19/07 01:26 PM
Aah yes, the good old days (before my time!)
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 05:28 AM
Originally posted by soyons-expositifs:
i am a bit like jeff, my hobby has always been phones, i until a week ago even refused to carry a cell phone but due to family with health issues i picked one up. A phone in the john is just over the top to me. When i was 15 i had about 10 phones in my parents house but NEVER did i have one in the john! i was shocked though visiting model homes here in montreal and a phone jack in the bathroom is now a big thing :S
Hmmm...

Well, I better not mention there's going to be one in EVERY bathroom (3). So far:

Living room: 4

Basement: 2 (1 1A2, 1 single line in the bedroom, soon to be a 1A2). When the basement gets finished, there will be 4 1A2's in the rec room.

Kitchen: 1 standard rotary wall phone now, will be adding a cuckoo clock soon. And the standard phone is staying.

Dining room: 1

Garage: 1

Office: 1 1A2, 1 speakerphone.

Also gotta find weaherproof ones for each deck level (2).

And this is just off the top of my head. My goal is 30 phones, but probably will be around 25.

They've been running for a couple weeks now; and I'm surprised at the conveinience. Something about being able to walk a few feet (or in the case of the living room, reaching a few inches, no matter where I'm sitting) anytime the phone rings really appeals to me. Laziness, whatever. And I hate portable phones. They get lost more than TV remotes. Cell phones have always sucked. And to you young whippersnappers who don't even have copper to the home anymore: SHAME ON YOU!!!!

And I've not used the one in the john once; maybe never will. But, here's a scenario: Ever been in the john and discover (too late) there's no TP? When you had guests? I suspect it won't seem over the top then.

You simply can't have enough phones. It's unpossible.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 07:46 AM
Matt -

At some point you may need lamp extenders, as the capacity of the fuses on the 584 panel may be exceeded. I don't remember what the limit was but I think 30 might just put you over the top.

I only installed them once and that was on a system with about 70 appearances.

Sam
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 09:35 AM
Yeah - the manual says 20 lamps.... what's a lamp extender, is it some sort of higher capacity power source?

Thanks
Matt
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 09:40 AM
Also,

I bought this:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290181433471

I thought it was an extender to be able to add more cards (all my slots are full), but after googling I'm not so sure. Any ideas?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 10:15 AM
Matt:

You really can't use that for much of anything. It's just a 13 line panel designed to mount on a 23" rack. It requires all kinds of external connections and a separate power supply to function. I have the racks, 75 pair cables and power supplies available if you really want to stick with it, but that's a lot of work. If you are a glutton for punishment, I can hook you up.

A lamp extender, at least the most common one was a 66M1-50 block with electronics built into the base that would allow you to feed the LG/L for several lines into it and get more lamp driving capacity out of it. It requires a separate 10 volt AC input to drive the additional lamps. The only ones I ever saw were made by Harris/Dracon.

In your case, your cable runs are relatively short and you don't have a lot of traffic, so you may be able to push the limit a bit with your current system. Remember that it's engineered for six lines and twenty stations with full traffic, so a handful of extra sets with only a few lines shouldn't be a problem.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 10:16 AM
I am curious, how many phones can your 601 KSU support?
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 10:19 AM
Jeff, we just crossed paths as I was editing my post. You'll find the answer in my previous post.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 11:03 AM
Thanks, Ed
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Trimline Question - 11/20/07 11:45 AM
Originally posted by EV607797:
Matt:

You really can't use that for much of anything. It's just a 13 line panel designed to mount on a 23" rack. It requires all kinds of external connections and a separate power supply to function. I have the racks, 75 pair cables and power supplies available if you really want to stick with it, but that's a lot of work. If you are a glutton for punishment, I can hook you up.

A lamp extender, at least the most common one was a 66M1-50 block with electronics built into the base that would allow you to feed the LG/L for several lines into it and get more lamp driving capacity out of it. It requires a separate 10 volt AC input to drive the additional lamps. The only ones I ever saw were made by Harris/Dracon.

In your case, your cable runs are relatively short and you don't have a lot of traffic, so you may be able to push the limit a bit with your current system. Remember that it's engineered for six lines and twenty stations with full traffic, so a handful of extra sets with only a few lines shouldn't be a problem.
Oh.

Well, next time I'll google FIRST.

Thanks
Matt
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help