atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: WRichey Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 10:41 AM
I am putting this out here because it is by far the most visible location.

I need to locate a choke or a drain circuit that I will be using on POTS. The line's ac voltage is too high and it is causing problems on the pbx. The problem is the LEC says they wont touch it because it is within specs.
If you are the electronic circuit type and have a schematic for one I can built that would be fine too.

Thanks in advance

laugh
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 11:07 AM
Are they talking about Loop Current??

WWW.sandman.com Page 8 Has Loop Current regulators that keep the loop current at 25ma.
Posted By: justbill Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 11:09 AM
Waine, I also have this problem it's with in spec because you can't measure it, kind of a lame excuse.

Anyway These guys have chokes/drains and choke drain combination. For an individual mounted at the end you want the P15047 choke. The phone company should supply these in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't carry a lot of weight.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 11:52 AM
Sandman's are for dc, unless I missed something thanks JW.

Bill. I agree they should supply these. But alas we are a small voice in the big telecom world. frown

Thanks for the link I am gonna chech them out they are the same folks Sandman suggests. I guess they really are the only ones out there that supply these.
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 11:58 AM
I have had those SNC chokes installed they work well.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 12:33 PM
I agree. It's not high loop current, it's excessively-high voltages used to push POTS over tremendously long distances in rural environments. Some of them even go up to 72-96 volts here even in metro areas to avoid costly build outs. I've had some OPX cases where the MW lights stayed lit on the the remote S/L stations due to high line voltage. We actually lost a customer for this reason.

The loop current attenuators probably won't help here, but I'm not so sure that the choke/drains will either. It just stinks that the customer has to pay for this level of support.

Sure, they measure it and it's within spec at the CO, but that's because the testing they do is at the switch, before the line goes into the Lorrain units. That's where the fun begins.
Posted By: justbill Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 01:20 PM
The chokes are for AC power induction. They will drain off induced voltage also. South of here the AC induction is so bad that there are areas you can barely hear the DT.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 03/31/08 01:29 PM
Ya this facility does not have high (50/60mgz) voltage induction but it is enough to cause the system to not bick up when the line is seized. When I measured the lines they all had 7.9 ac volts with no equipment attached. The hum is so loud that I had the same trouble (could not tell if I picked off the line).

The snix should do the trick but like Ed said why should the end user have to cover this labor to diagnose and fix.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 04/01/08 07:26 AM
Thanks for the link, Bill. There's a lot of good information in that catalog.
Posted By: mgere Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 04/01/08 07:56 AM
Anthony has got it, SNC out of Oshgosh, WI. I've used their chokes a couple of times and they do the tick.
Posted By: IPKII Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 04/02/08 04:50 AM
Sandman also has great articles on these subjects with instructions on how to measure the voltages & such. He does recommend SNC for voltage chokes. I have used them in the past.
Posted By: WRichey Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 10/06/09 06:44 PM
Sorry but I had to revive this one. Is there a way to convince the LEC that they need to fix a line? This new customer has three lines all of them have 114v ac on them. All three tested with my meter then I tested a different customer down the hall and they were clear. So I know its not my equipment. They claim to have tested them today and are still saying they dont see it. Its causing serious issues with the system. They can answer the line but the system is not connecting the call until they press the line key a second time. Needless to say this is really pissing the customer off and making me look like crap.

Does the telco use a meter that cant test ac or something?
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 10/06/09 06:58 PM
vendor meet at the prem is all i can think of
Posted By: anthonyh Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 10/06/09 07:47 PM
bring a DMM and prove the voltage..also the Sidekick they carry can test for AC voltage
Posted By: justbill Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 10/06/09 08:06 PM
Is this voltage across tip and ring or tip to grd or ring to grd or all the above? Reason I ask is if you have this on all three lines and down the hall everything is normal sounds like the CO may have these conditioned with some kind of long line unit or carrier. That's a lot of AC voltage to be induced voltage.

In answer to your question as to whether they can measure AC, yes one of their test is to check for foreign voltages.
Posted By: CnGRacin Re: Choke or Drain circuits - 10/07/09 06:22 AM
Yes, yes, and yes to what Anthony and Bill have said... Espcially the vendor meet part. The BEST and only real way to check for foreign or induced voltage is to have the pairs lifted off the frame at the C.O. and measure voltage on just the pair(s.)
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help