atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TexasTechnician MagicJack??? - 04/18/08 06:22 PM
I just heard about magicJAck today and it perked my interest.

I have a lot of friends and relatives that only have cell phones and no "house" phone that could benefit from something like this if it's for real.

Anybody know anything first-hand about it? Like: is it really as cheap as advertised with no loop holes? Is it reliable?
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: MagicJack??? - 04/18/08 06:24 PM
There's a post about it in Installers
Posted By: EV607797 Re: MagicJack??? - 04/18/08 06:28 PM
Yes, Bobby it is. If you would like, I'd be happy to call you from mine. As Jeff said, there is quite a bit of commo about it in the installer's section.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: MagicJack??? - 04/18/08 07:35 PM
Sure Ed. Call away! laugh
Posted By: kraneworldchamp Re: MagicJack??? - 04/21/08 03:41 PM
I have one too and its great and you cant beat the price I even ran the line to my phone system and use it as a second line on the system
Posted By: Noisycow Re: MagicJack??? - 05/03/08 04:43 AM
I run a 2500 set off my Magicjack via the broadband wireless in my van. My personal statement against the dorks that insist on wireless blinking headsets (usually worn into restaurants, in case the president calls).
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: MagicJack??? - 05/03/08 08:17 AM
I ordered one and it should be here in a few days.
I'm looking forward to getting my new toy! laugh
Posted By: 94astro Re: MagicJack??? - 05/03/08 09:22 AM
I know someone who has one, we put it into their phone system and the sound quality was great. I'm getting one also since I don't have a home line, I'd like to have it to do some remote programming from home, but I've heard dialing into modems with these type of lines can be a problem.
Posted By: Mark K. Re: MagicJack??? - 05/03/08 10:12 AM
Modems/faxes/voicemail prompts/remote programming are all hit and miss. For me here in Pa. they all miss. My voicemail system can't dial out on it for notification either, it never breaks dialtone and I haven't been able to determine why.

For long distance voice calls it works really well 90% of the time, this saves my cell minutes so the kids can use them smile - it seems to take a long time to load when you boot the computer it's connected to, and of course when the PC is off so is the magic. Overall I'd say it's a good product at a fair price.
Mark
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: MagicJack??? - 05/03/08 11:03 AM
Devices like these will most likely put anyone who manufactures a small starter package Ip based system like an Avaya one-x out of business over time.

Soon you will see Ip phones in Wall Mart, and we do. With a one time license software purchase and ongoing upgrades will result in a feature rich IP Soho or small office with multiple locations with you're business broadband and not to mention your connection speeds and the size of one's servers or computers Hard dive that can screw it up.

A very cool product in a nutshell.

As a reminder, someone will always come in to buy the leftover existing copper plant and offer a better deal.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: MagicJack??? - 05/07/08 04:49 PM
Update: I received this little jewel in the mail today and had a chance to play with it at lunch and a little this evening.

So far it's as good as they say it is. It's pretty much like a cell phone call... you'll hear an occasional bump in the system now and then and if whomever you're talking to has a tv going or some other background noise they will tend to override you but even then it's bearable. It's pretty much like talking in Yahoo messenger when both parties have "Hands Free" turned on but with improvements.

I tried it on my laptop via my WI-FI connection and it was acceptable.

I have to admit I was impressed that I entered my contact list on the laptop and they appeared on the desktop the first time I plugged into it.

Bottom line, I'd say it's well worth the money if the service remains the same! :thumb:
Posted By: BizTel Re: MagicJack??? - 05/07/08 10:23 PM
Originally posted by kraneworldchamp:
I have one too and its great and you cant beat the price I even ran the line to my phone system and use it as a second line on the system
you cant get telco to roll main # to it can you? fwd busy?
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: MagicJack??? - 05/08/08 04:29 AM
No yet but according to their website it will be available in the future.
Posted By: firefighter Re: MagicJack??? - 05/08/08 04:55 AM
I have one it works good but had to get Nashville TN number that was the only number that was by my area. but it works great
Posted By: MNCommunications Re: MagicJack??? - 05/08/08 06:46 AM
I think it would be better if they had more numbers,myself I have a colorado number, I guess a six hour drive isn't bad.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: MagicJack??? - 05/08/08 09:55 AM
Don't feel bad, most States have numbers, unlike Canada where there are none, at least for now.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 09:25 AM
Old thread, but I finally bought one. Works fine. Like somebody said, sometimes the call fails. But, just make it again and it goes thru. My only complaint so far is I can have the pick of any Area Code in NC, apperently, EXCEPT 910. One guess what AC I live in! frown John C.
Posted By: VMSysMaker Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 10:10 AM
Well, since this thread was revived...

Does anyone else have a problem with incoming DTMF? I can call out on the MJ, hit an AA and dial fine. But if I call into it I can not dial TT. I listened to the line and hear static/screech instead of a clear tone.

Is my unit bad, or does everyone have this problem? Their support was no help. They had no information about it and could not even tell me if I was the only one with the problem.

Other then that, it works great.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 03:47 PM
I've never tried to do anything with mine that I would need inbound tones.
Out of curiosity what are you trying to do with it?

My only complaint is that no matter who I talk to, in bound or out bound, I have to yell for them to hear me. It makes no difference which computer I use either. A few months ago I checked the forums and I'm not the only one with the problem but I've not seen a solution to the problem.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 04:20 PM
Yeah, inbound DTMF on the MJ doesn't work very well at all.

Bobby have you went to the menu tap and turned up you mic and speaker volume, by default both are set very low.
Posted By: metelcom Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 04:30 PM
My MJ stopped working a long time ago 99% of the time when I try to call out it keeps returning to dial tone. call Tried it on a different PC and get the same thing frown
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 04:50 PM
How does the MJ service account for my 1-800 inbound?

Jerk phone haven. \\Any answers sign me up now.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 05:07 PM
Huh? Read the specs! They're available on-line. The Magic Jack is not aimed at business's. If it is, don't use it! 1: It depends on a hi-speed internet connection, which most of us have. 2: It uses a computer USB port. Using a computer for the connection is SCARY! Show me a computer with the reliability of an ILEC's copper lines! But, for L/D use and extra home-phone line, it works for me! $40 the first year and $20/year after that! Unlimited local and 48 state L/D, 24-7, 365. And no, I haven't got a piece of the company. I'm just trying to explain the concept, since I have a feeling you won't bother to look at it on line. John C.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 05:13 PM
Merritt, you need to disable the spoofer.
I just use my MJ for when I'm in a motel room in a area that I don't have cell service in or when I'm home and my wife is on the other line.

It's not a perfect science, but for 20 bucks a year what do you expect.
Posted By: merlinman Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 05:29 PM
Mine has some "CUTTING OUT" issues( (appearently my end only), but, sometimes I just GOTTA' HAVE that 4th line.

Anyone else?
Posted By: MacOSX Re: MagicJack??? - 09/12/08 05:45 PM
I just ordered mine yesterday. I did the 5 years plan. 100 bucks for the jack and 5 years service... even if it's a throw away, meh.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: MagicJack??? - 09/13/08 08:09 AM
Originally posted by mdaniel:
Bobby have you went to the menu tap and turned up you mic and speaker volume, by default both are set very low.
Yep, I've maxed the mic volume and the problem is still there.
It's a little less of a problem if I use a headset but I hate being tied to the computer.
Posted By: VMSysMaker Re: MagicJack??? - 09/13/08 03:59 PM
1 - I found the call quality started to suffer (cutting in/out, unable to break dial tone, sound far away...) I cleared the cache, and it went back to 100% quality. The computer is older, but a fresh & clean Windows install, and the PC is used for nothing else. Still took almost 3 minutes for it to clear everything out, so it build up a TON of what ever it builds up!

2 - I was trying to use it behind an Ice system. It worked great for incoming & outgoing calls, but couldn't dial anything if I hit AA on ANY voice mail. The incoming tones have too much static.

3 - While it can run "any" phone, I have found that I get higher quality sound from a phone that has an external power source.

4 - PC & Cable Modem on battery backup, and it didn't flinch when I pulled the plug from the wall to test.
Posted By: tony3866 Re: MagicJack??? - 09/14/08 05:19 AM
Guy's What do do want for $50.00 for calling for a year and 20 a year after that. Plus It's very portable.

Don't put it in your laptop. It will kill your speakers. Did it to two of mine and not sure why. They were two diffrent brand laptops too.

But all in all You can't beat the price!!!!
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: MagicJack??? - 09/14/08 07:10 AM
Originally posted by tony3866:
Guy's What do do want for $50.00 for calling for a year and 20 a year after that.
I want it to work without my neighbors calling the police because of all the yelling! laugh

Don't put it in your laptop. It will kill your speakers. Did it to two of mine and not sure why. They were two diffrent brand laptops too.
That's simple to fix. Go to Control panel, click on "Sounds and Audio Devices", then click on "Audio" and select the pc speakers.

That happened on my laptop too. I'm not sure why it doesn't do it on any of the desk tops around here but it hasn't so far.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: MagicJack??? - 09/15/08 04:40 PM
While we are on the MJ subject.
Has anyone had to use the on-line chat tech support?
I think it is more a test of patience.
Took 4 hours of chat and 4 different reps to get a replacement MJ for one that I had that died.
argue
Posted By: justbill Re: MagicJack??? - 09/15/08 04:47 PM
At 20 bucks a year that's only about 2cents an hour, didn't know you worked that cheap. :rofl:

I based it on 360 days a year since I know you don't get weekends and only some holidays with that slave driver you work for. :toothy:
Posted By: mdaniel Re: MagicJack??? - 09/15/08 04:54 PM
:rofl: I thought the same thing Bill, but after the first 20 or 30 minutes it began a matter of principle.
But I got a new MJ at no charge. laugh
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help