atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: matts520 butt set phone number - 05/04/08 03:21 PM
This is what I need help with, Im just starting out with phone wireing I know there is someway when you use a butt set on a line that theres a phone number to call on the butt set that it will tell you the phone number your on. I just dont know that phone number, If someone know what that number is and can tell me please. thanks, matthew
Posted By: skip555 Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 03:25 PM
Hi Matt
welcome

Just dial your cell phone or any other phone that has caller id enabled
Posted By: MNCommunications Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 04:18 PM
Check with some local telco techs. Around here the different companies all have specific numbers they call and there is an 800 number I can't remember off the top of my head that will also do it. There are alot of places out here that you don't have cell phone service.
Posted By: merlinman Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 05:02 PM
I agree with Skip.

My cell phone is just about the best test set I ever bought.
Posted By: hbiss Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 05:59 PM
Even if you do get a telco tech to talk, the number will be good only for the ILEC he works for. With so many people going to alternate providers (CLECS) you are going to find that the number doesn't work lots of times. That's why calling your cell is the best route.

-Hal
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 06:18 PM
Post deleted. Too much information given to an inexperienced installer in a public forum.
Posted By: skip555 Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 07:40 PM
one big advantage to calling your cell is the number is there to see rather than trying to scribble it down or listening carefully in a noisy room
Posted By: hbiss Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 08:20 PM
And you can scroll through your recent call list to see them in the order you dialed them.

-Hal
Posted By: MacOSX Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 08:38 PM
Hello Matt, Welcome!

Originally posted by hbiss:
And you can scroll through your recent call list to see them in the order you dialed them.

-Hal
Yup, Hal is correct.

I love being able to make 10 calls in a row, then scroll through and make labels.
Posted By: justbill Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 09:35 PM
Matthew, first welcome to the board. The cell phone is indeed adequate for most things you need to identify.

Just to clarify so no one thinks we're trying to avoid your direct question. We don't allow posting of that information on the board. Simply because when those number are made public and abused they get changed or password protected so those that really need them can't use them. Those who have them were given them in confidence.

Like was said earlier your local phone guy is going to be your best source. Thanks for understanding.
Posted By: matts520 Re: butt set phone number - 05/04/08 09:49 PM
Thank you for being honest with me, I was wondering why i was not get the answer i need but now I know why. thanks matthew
Posted By: kjwiewall Re: butt set phone number - 05/06/08 05:53 PM
ATT or is it att changes theirs on a regular basis at least around Columbus they do.
Posted By: johhz Re: butt set phone number - 05/06/08 07:19 PM
With verizon around here in central wisconsin, any number you call from a customers site always comes up as the customers first line. No id'ing with a cell phone here
Posted By: WRichey Re: butt set phone number - 05/07/08 02:48 PM
They love treir pair gains in VZ country
Posted By: A DYING BREED Re: butt set phone number - 05/31/08 12:34 PM
well here in maryland there were a few depending on your area...xxxxxxxxxx,xxx, xxxx and xxxxxxxxx. i doubt if the first 2 will work else where but i know the last 2 worked in virginia as well for a fact. hope it helps. the first of the last2 might only work in former bell atlantic areas but the last one is from a long distance provider and i have had luck with that all over on all different kinds of phone systems etc.

Sorry the posting of ANI or ANAC numbers not allowed on the board. Thanks for understanding, Bill
Posted By: A DYING BREED Re: butt set phone number - 05/31/08 12:35 PM
pair gain, or litespan should have no adverse effect on using any A.N.I.
Posted By: A DYING BREED Re: butt set phone number - 05/31/08 12:37 PM
SORRY I FORGOT ABOUT THAT RULE, GO AHEAD AND DELETE OR TELL THE GUY TO EMAIL OR MESSAGE ME. SORRY AGAIN...
Posted By: justbill Re: butt set phone number - 05/31/08 12:39 PM
Taken care of and welcome to the board. welcome
Posted By: Paul Coxwell Re: butt set phone number - 06/06/08 04:21 AM
We're somewhat fortunate here in the U.K. in that we now have a universal code which is the same in all areas, at least for all BT-provided lines. The same number also provides ringback and other test facilities.

It's good enough for positively identifying most single lines, but a lot of people don't realize that because it is looking at the CLI number it might not return the correct number on a multiline hunt group where the lines don't have individual directory numbers assigned, or where a business has otherwise had the system configured to deliver their main number on all calls, regardless of the actual originating line.
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: butt set phone number - 06/06/08 07:06 AM
You Brits think of everything... smile
Posted By: aarenot Re: butt set phone number - 06/08/08 08:20 PM
Have Verizon come out, and tag their lines, that is not your job. I am not searching 1000,, 500, 100, or even 25 pair with my butt set for a line which the TELCO did not tag without telling them to come out, and tag them before I will connect them. They always come out, and tag their lines in that case because they know they have to, and I will still connect them, anyway, but do not tell the TELCCO, because they think I am waiting to connect the lines once they are properly tagged.

Verizon, or any other TELCO(ILEC/CLEC) not tagging their lines is just plain chit work, and they can come out, and fix it, period. If they have to go out enough time to tag lines because they failed to do so when they installed them it will start getting done in the first place. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I do my job, and I am not going to willingly waste my customers dime paying me to do someone elses.
Posted By: skip555 Re: butt set phone number - 06/09/08 04:49 AM
I am not going to willingly waste my customers dime paying me to do someone elses.
I explain the situation to the customer and most of the time they would rather pay me to find the lines than wait for the Telco to do it and pay me to come back
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help