atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: b_bears line failure detection - 07/09/08 12:45 PM
Anybody know of a device that will monitor a PSTN line and dectect a failure on it. When a failure is detected switch the phone device to another PSTN line? Thanks
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: line failure detection - 07/09/08 02:25 PM
There are line failure circuits used in fire alarm system panels. They have a limited capability, however, because they only will detect a line voltage failure, (I believe) and not a failure of dial tone. You need to be aware that a POTS line can have -48V and ground, but no dial tone.

Do a Google search for "Line fault monitor"

here\'s one
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: line failure detection - 07/09/08 02:53 PM
I did a quick search under 'line fault' here and found nothing, But I believe this was discussed at length this year in one of the forums. If someone can find it, tell b_bears where it is. I usually only manage to waste time doing any kind of search on the WWW. frown John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: line failure detection - 07/09/08 03:38 PM
Originally posted by b_bears:
Anybody know of a device that will monitor a PSTN line and dectect a failure on it. When a failure is detected switch the phone device to another PSTN line? Thanks
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to provide backup dialtone for?
Posted By: b_bears Re: line failure detection - 07/09/08 08:18 PM
Did a google for "line fault" and that did it. Thanks. Must of googled everything but that. Narrowed it down to an Elk 980 or Honywell 968EN.
Texas Tech, just doing a little project of when my flakey PSTN line losses it connection, a bad splice between demarc and CO which they can not find as it comes and goes by itself, (seems they have no spare pairs, ya right) to switch to a VOIP line that I have for backup that always seems to work. The adsl is on a different pair. Basically just playing.
Posted By: TexasTechnician Re: line failure detection - 07/10/08 04:19 AM
Don't ya just love those kind of troubles. mad
At least your DSL is stable. :thumb:
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help