atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Silversam Wireless Headsets - 08/22/08 02:47 PM
I got a request from a user today (the Commissioner's Secretary!) for a Wireless Headset. We had been installing some Plantronics (Supra) units around the office and she asked about wireless. Being who she is, if anyone is going to get one here - she'll be the one.

Does anyone have any preferences? Some model you really like? Something you utterly despise? Any advice is appreciated.

The headsets would be going on ISDN phones - either AT&T 8510/20 sets or Tone Commander 6210/20 or 8610 sets.

TIA,

Sam
Posted By: MNCommunications Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/22/08 03:00 PM
Sticking with the plantronics I have not had any complaints about the cs50 and when the cs 70 came out everyone seems to like that one. The 70 they like since it's not too big and the mic tube is not terribly noticable. People ask about them and I tell them I'll let them try for a month if they don't like it I'll take it back and I haven't had one come back yet. We've had good luck with these so we stick with them.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/22/08 03:16 PM
Thanks! Good to know. I'll check compatibility with Tone Commander on Monday.

Sam
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/22/08 03:17 PM
The other major brand works well,too. (Can't remember, oldtimers/alzheimers) We had no particular preference. I really don't know which I'd go with, they both work well. Only comment I have is stick with 1 brand so you don't run into interference problems. And put tape id's (P-touch or similar) on them so users don't wind up with headset 'A' and base unit 'B' and vice versa. You'll be the 1 that gets to figure it out, and if they've half a dozen units all crossed up, you'll wind up either bald or learning how to reregister the portable units! frown John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/22/08 03:37 PM
Sam there is a good thread on that in the Installer's Forum from December 2007 when we got an order for multiple offices. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll help you dig up the link.

On a sidenote we deployed over a hundred GN9350s from Jabra. The plus is that no one knows you're on a headset. My only complaint (and this is me, not my users) is that when I walk into our datacenter, I have trouble hearing some people, especially females. I won't say it's any worse than any other headset, but I'd like to see a bit more volume in the unit. It's just that our data center has a good bit of A/C ventilation noise so if you're talking to a female, their voice can be a bit harder to hear than when using the phone itself.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/22/08 06:25 PM
Thanks guys.

A lot of good information here. I'll check compatibility on Monday and now I've got something to tell the higher-ups.

Sam
Posted By: Spuds Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/23/08 07:50 AM
I have used a bunch of the CS-50 and CS-70 headsets from Plantronics as well. I have one customer that I call on frequently and she tells me "Have I ever told you how much I love this headset." I hear it every time from her.

Mike
Posted By: Rhonda Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/25/08 02:06 PM
I use the Plantronics CS55. I have my automotive technicians on them and they love them. Good sound quality and nice fitting headsets for very picky users.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Wireless Headsets - 08/25/08 04:18 PM
The "Other Brand" is, like you didn't know, GN Netcom. Sometimes stuff comes back at the strangest times! (Don't Ask smile ) And Sam, make sure the person of interest understands that she STILL has to go back to the phone to do stuff like transfer, put the call on hold, Hang up (Unless you supply a compatible handset lifter), etc. John C. (Not Garand)
Posted By: rickingb Re: Wireless Headsets - 09/02/08 01:01 PM
We have an person here who insists on GN Netcoms when the rest of our standard is Plantronics.

We have a ton of battery problems with the GN Netcoms. Have to replace the battery packs about every six months.

I had to replace 1 on a CS55 in two years.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Wireless Headsets - 09/02/08 05:54 PM
Well, MIS has ordered 2 Plantronics CS-70s (no lifters). One for each of the secretaries.

I asked them to get a 3rd to have a spare and they refused.

Of course the City is paying $350 apiece when they're available on Amazon for less then $200, but that's another story.

Sam
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Wireless Headsets - 09/02/08 06:16 PM
Traditionally what I hear as the biggest complaint from headset users is that the headset doesn't provide enough volume for the person speaking into it. What I mean is that the people on the other end of the line have trouble hearing the person on the headset. We have a few programmers who use headsets that are that way. If the mic isn't touching their lips, we can't hear them.

The GNs if anything are just the opposite. The person using the headset can be heard very clearly. In fact, it's normally as good as talking directly from the phone. My gripe is hearing the person on the other end of the line. Our datacenter has a lot of A/C noise from all the air vents. If I use the headset in there, the people on the other end don't hear our A/C, but I have trouble hearing them. The only other gripe is they're a bit uncomfortable to wear for long periods.
Posted By: Tom N Re: Wireless Headsets - 09/03/08 08:45 AM
The prefer the Plantronics CS-70's but have installed a ton of the CS-50 and CS-55's I use the Plantronics Voyager 510s. It is a bluetooth headset that works with my desk phone and my cell phone. Pretty handy unit. However the range on it from my desk phone is not near as big as the CS50 or 70 series.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help