atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: hbiss WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 02:33 PM
Paint your building with this stuff and you won't have to worry about anybody hacking into your wireless network.

-Hal
Posted By: mdaniel Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 04:03 PM
How much a gallon? :rofl:
Posted By: hbiss Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 04:55 PM
If you have to ask you can't afford it. :nono:

-Hal
Posted By: MooreTel Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:01 PM
If it really works, that's what vehicles should be using....cut out cell phone talking while driving, wouldn't it?

On 2nd thought, that would just lead to more idiots with their head out the window & talking....
Posted By: KLD Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:04 PM
:rofl: just like people who drive Cadillacs...if you have to ask.......
wink

If I paint my house with that, will it help keep the black helicopters from monitoring my brain waves? I have to wear tin foil in my baseball hat to stop them now..... :shrug:

:toothy:
Posted By: skip555 Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:06 PM
couldn't you just wrap the house with aluminum foil ?
Posted By: hbiss Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:10 PM
Don't know if it works at cell phone frequencies. WiFi is around 2.5Ghz.

On the subject of cell phones, I saw someplace else that a manufacturer was proposing that all cell phones and cars have an "interlock" that would inactivate the phone when the car is moving. I don't know how it would work with passenger phones though.

-Hal
Posted By: hbiss Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:15 PM
Couldn't you just wrap the house with aluminum foil?

Yeah, but this doesn't shout "A whackjob lives here!" like foil does. :rofl:

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:33 PM
so thats why the parents where telling their kids to keep walking past our house on Halloween

wink
Posted By: MacOSX Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:51 PM
Oh c'mon, just encrypt your traffic. It's not like people can hack WPA... oh yeah, never-mind!

smile

Wireless is not secure enough yet... bottom line. It was even less secure back when someone else marketed this in 2003/4. I really do wonder how much they get a gallon... any real ideas? BTW, nice find Hal, I love when these companies try to resurrect old technologies.
Posted By: KLD Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:52 PM
Skip...... :rofl:
Posted By: Kumba Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 05:59 PM
Well, it may sound sci-fi but it's real stuff thats been around for a while. I used to use it to paint the inside of plastic cavities for EMI/RFI shielding (keeping it out as well as in). It's pretty temperamental stuff and only works if you ground it.

I believe the stuff we use to use was some sort of oil based paint. Latex didn't work to well thanks to the non-conductive nature of rubber.

BTW, if you didn't ground it you had one hell of an antenna smile

It was also pretty damn expensive... a small bottle (like touch-up car paint bottle) was about $20.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 06:01 PM
My friend and I drove around with his ipod touch...it constantly updates the available wireless signals...surprisingly the majority of people actually changed their SSID and had their networks secured.
Posted By: TDS Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 06:07 PM
why not use lead based paint
Posted By: Kumba Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 07:24 PM
ROHS anyone?

Plus too many of us ate the chips as a kid smile
Posted By: MacGyver Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 07:42 PM
Several years ago one of our TSCM clients had us create two secure conference rooms. No RF could get in or out. On the surface the thought of creating a secure screen wrap under the carpets, behind the sheet rock and in the ceiling seemed plausible by the client until we explained the RF would travel up each of the sheetrock nails, and all the electrical wiring. Eventually we made it happen, but it was a lot more involved than making a simple screenroom.
Posted By: Kumba Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 07:50 PM
In high school I worked with an Electrical Engineer to do EMI/RFI testing. We had to build a 10'x10'x10' shielded test box. Had to be that size for propagation he said. Something to do with a mathematical/harmonic of the actual range that the FCC would do EMI/RFI testing at.

Amazing all the stuff we had to do. And it would boil down to something as simple as not having copper wool (not steel) properly sealing the cracks in the walls. We'd seal the room, fire up the antenna array, find noise on the floor, then spend hours crawling around with probes that had maybe a 2" detection cone. Grueling stuff but once we were done the business paid well.
Posted By: MacGyver Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 07:53 PM
Sounds very similar James. Once we were done you'd have to check your cell phone or pager at the front desk if you were expecting any calls as they were useless in the conference room.
Posted By: KLD Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 08:11 PM
Trace, I did US Army "clean" rooms....you have "red" pipe and transformers on everything.

You could not even wear a quartz watch into these facilities.

As far as deadheading the walls, we need to discuss a few things sometime..... laugh
Posted By: hbiss Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 08:13 PM
Several years ago one of our TSCM clients had us create two secure conference rooms. No RF could get in or out.

Google "Tempest" to see how the government handles such matters.

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 08:16 PM
Thanks, Hal, that is one of the types we did....

This gives what you need for info
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 08:53 PM
Hmmm makes me think of optical isolators between rooms and window pane oscillators. Or so I have heard...
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/16/08 09:09 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Couldn't you just wrap the house with aluminum foil?

Yeah, but this doesn't shout "A whackjob lives here!" like foil does. :rofl:

-Hal
my buddy works for the city, all the white trim on his house was painted with road paint, he sticks out as much as the tinfoil guy, his house glows when your headlights hit it!
Posted By: MooreTel Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/17/08 04:54 AM
Originally posted by soyons-expositifs:
[QUOTE]....my buddy works for the city, all the white trim on his house was painted with road paint, he sticks out as much as the tinfoil guy, his house glows when your headlights hit it!
That expalins why it took Montreal 30 years to pay off the Olympic debt...
Posted By: MacGyver Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/17/08 05:50 AM
Yep Ken. Transformers on EVERYTHING!

Tempest. Transient Electromagnetic Pulse Immination Standard. Been there. They were a lot easier to build back when you were trying to snag an image of a CRT screen. LCDs present a different challenge.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/17/08 06:53 AM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
Originally posted by soyons-expositifs:
[b] [QUOTE]....my buddy works for the city, all the white trim on his house was painted with road paint, he sticks out as much as the tinfoil guy, his house glows when your headlights hit it!
That expalins why it took Montreal 30 years to pay off the Olympic debt... [/b]
yeah well reflective paint sure dont look good, as far as wifi blocking paint i tell you a microwave oven does just fine
Posted By: phoneguywayne Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/17/08 09:15 AM
If you have Telus as your carrier you don't need paint your cell just dosn't work in the house!!
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/17/08 10:25 AM
wayne, my girlfriend had telus and rogers/fido, great signal at the tower down the street, come in the house, no signal now with virgin/bell all is fine
Posted By: Yoda Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/18/08 06:46 AM
Why use paint? Just build your next new house out of steel. It's been done before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustron_house

I saw one of the Lustron homes in Ames, IA. Looks like a normal house, but you can tell there's something different about it. Didn't get to go inside. Must be a pain to hang pictures on the wall.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: WiFi Blocking Paint - 11/19/08 09:36 AM
Naaaah, Magnets are the answer! smile John C.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help