atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Telecom In Spokane Strange computer auto answering - 11/25/08 09:01 AM
Our #2 rollover line is being autonaswered by an off site modem (sounds like a computer)
Hyperterminal will latch it but we cant get past the login and password...how do we identify or communicate with the owner...the local phone co is clueless thanks NC in Spokane
Posted By: RRino Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/25/08 09:10 AM
Have you disconnected the line at the dmarc and called it to make sure its not something of yours thats answering?
Posted By: telemarv Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/25/08 09:30 AM
Alarm system?
Yes...I should have mentioned that we accounted for all connections...its from outside
Posted By: hbiss Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/25/08 10:15 AM
Time to call telco repair. Ball is in their court, it's not your job to "find or communicate with the owner". This situation could be caused by any number of things on their end.

-Hal
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/25/08 12:16 PM
I'd verify that line #2's number is actually your number. My guess is that it got flipped with someone's fax or modem line. Make a test call from line 2 to a caller-ID equipped device and confirm that you are on the correct number.

Regardless, it's the telco's responsibility if you've isolated the line to the MPOE for the building.
Posted By: TECHarry Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/26/08 04:47 AM
When the line is ringing, before being answered by the modem, do you hear any ring, even a short one, on your equipment?

If you hear a single or short ring, the line could have been somehow call-forwarded to an offsite modem. If you hear more than one ring, there could be a cross with another circuit somewhere out on the telco side. If you hear no ring at all, I vote for Ed's suggestion.
Posted By: TECHarry Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/26/08 04:51 AM
And before you assume it isn't an alarm system on your site, be sure nothing is plugged in at the demarc. I've seen alarm guys tap lines in some really interesting places.
Posted By: TDS Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/26/08 06:43 AM
on line two dial 73# line maybe forworded
Thanks for the replies...
the line in question ANIs to its assigned number
The line was disconnected at the demarc and the problem persists.
There is non BG alarm jkust a Fire Panel with a dumb communicator assigned to a dedicated line.
Am now working thru the third party CLEC to resolve thanks for your responses..
Posted By: TECHarry Re: Strange computer auto answering - 11/26/08 10:02 AM
Let us know how it works out...
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help