atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Phil Fax Problem - 12/02/08 06:51 AM
I have a customer who has two fax machines, both connected to the same line. They use the front machine for sending, and the back machine for receiving. The back machine is a Sharp UX-A1000, which has a digital answering machine built into it. Whenever another place sends a fax to this particular number, the back machine receives it just fine. But - whenever they try to send from the front machine, it winds up on the back machine. Since they are on the same line, I can't figure out why it is doing this. Does anyone have any ideas about what I need to check? Sure would be appreciated!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Fax Problem - 12/02/08 06:59 AM
It hears the CNG tones on the line and picks up. That's so you can connect it to a voice line and it will pick up automatically after you pick up a phone when another fax calls. There should be a setting in the menu to disable the function.

-Hal
Posted By: Phil Re: Fax Problem - 12/02/08 07:06 AM
Thanks, Hal - I will check that out when I go back on site this afternoon. I thought it was set as an answering machine at first, but when I checked that out, it appeared that it was, indeed, set to be a fax. So I need to disable that setting - would that be called polling, by any chance?
Posted By: skip555 Re: Fax Problem - 12/02/08 09:19 AM
if that doesn't work a exclusion device would do it

something like this viking item we used to install a lot of these in dial up modem days
Posted By: Phil Re: Fax Problem - 12/03/08 06:39 AM
I think I found the problem with the fax machine in the back warehouse. There is a setting called "fax signal receive" that needs to be turned off. If it is turned on, the machine sits and listens for any fax tones on the line, which includes fax tones sent from the other fax machine. I'm going over there this morning to turn it off, and test. Thanks, guys, for your responses! Skip, I have used those little TG-1 devices in the past - they do work!
Posted By: rich30529 Re: Fax Problem - 12/03/08 07:04 AM
Hey Skip, I got lazy and used these most of the time. They cost a little more, but they were so easy to install it was worth the money.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help