atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: bobley Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/24/09 10:23 PM
Is there some sort of one way line splitter? I know I can get a manual A/B switch or some more complex fax switches.

I want to have faxes come in on line 1 and go out on line 2.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/24/09 10:42 PM
Is there any phone system? Easy enough to do that there. I would have to look but I think I have used line sharing devices that could be programmed that way.

-Hal
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 04:10 AM
As Hal stated "... phone system? Easy enough to do that there"
aok

Or...

Have you thought about doing incoming fax to a computer and using the physical fax machine for outgoing only on the second line?

Incoming fax could become PDF (or any preferred format). That way, you could distribute them via e-mail and save on printing, by printing only the pages needed. Then anything that had to be faxed outbound could be done on the single line fax connected to your second line.

Just a thought
wink
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 04:15 AM
That's what I do Tony. It also is an easy way to filter & delete spam faxes without wasting paper & ink.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 04:20 AM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
That's what I do Tony. It also is an easy way to filter & delete spam faxes without wasting paper & ink.
Thanks Dave!
:toast:
Now I need you to call my boss, who doesn't want me to take the time to set that up at the office... but still complains about all the spam-faxes and cover pages we get and usually throws them away! He's really old-school in the "what technology can do for you" department, but we love him anyway!
smile

----

bobley, there is always something like this too -> Sharp UX-CD600 2-Line Fax Communication Center with Corded and Cordless Phones and Answering Machine , if you're only running a two-line setup.
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 08:44 AM
Originally posted by MacOSX:
As Hal stated "... phone system? Easy enough to do that there"
aok

Or...

Have you thought about doing incoming fax to a computer and using the physical fax machine for outgoing only on the second line?

Incoming fax could become PDF (or any preferred format). That way, you could distribute them via e-mail and save on printing, by printing only the pages needed. Then anything that had to be faxed outbound could be done on the single line fax connected to your second line.

Just a thought
wink
I've thought of using the computer, but some of the users do not want that because they are not computer savvy. There are almost no spam faxes coming in.

I'm not sure what you mean by "phone system." This is for residential use.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 09:44 AM
If you have no phone system like a key system that handles multiple lines with several extensions you are basically going to have to implement one with a line sharing device. Depending on what other uses you have for those lines I would look at something like the 4000P from https://www.lineshare.com/

-Hal
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 10:23 AM
Originally posted by bobley:
[b] As Hal stated "... phone system? Easy enough to do that there"
aok

Or...

Just a thought
wink
I've thought of using the computer, but some of the users do not want that because they are not computer savvy. There are almost no spam faxes coming in.

I'm not sure what you mean by "phone system." This is for residential use. [/b]
Are the installing phone tech, or are you the home owner (just to get an idea of what user-level you are at)? Also, what is currently installed for dial-tone in the residential setting (i.e. - one line with call waiting, two dedicated lines, etc.)?

That will determine what product(s) you need.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 11:42 AM
...I've thought of using the computer, but some of the users do not want that because they are not computer savvy. There are almost no spam faxes coming in...[/QB]
You don't need to be too savvy for a PC based fax.

I use Mighty Fax and when I get one a Popup comes onto the screen, telling me so. I imagine most, if not all have some kind of notification.
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 12:31 PM
[b]
[b] As Hal stated "... phone system? Easy enough to do that there"
aok

Or...

Just a thought
wink

I'm not sure what you mean by "phone system." This is for residential use. [/b]
Are the installing phone tech, or are you the home owner (just to get an idea of what user-level you are at)? Also, what is currently installed for dial-tone in the residential setting (i.e. - one line with call waiting, two dedicated lines, etc.)?

That will determine what product(s) you need. [/b]
I'm helping out a friend. I'm not a tech. The house has two lines coming to a single jack with a L1+L2/L1/L2 splitter.
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MooreTel:
...I've thought of using the computer, but some of the users do not want that because they are not computer savvy. There are almost no spam faxes coming in...
You don't need to be too savvy for a PC based fax.

I use Mighty Fax and when I get one a Popup comes onto the screen, telling me so. I imagine most, if not all have some kind of notification. [/QB]
I know it isn't difficult but it isn't an option for the user in this case. You also have to have a different incoming fax number.
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 01:52 PM
]I'm helping out a friend. I'm not a tech. The house has two lines coming to a single jack with a L1+L2/L1/L2 splitter.
Okay, well at least we know where to start here!

Firstly, did you look at the link I posted earlier?

Sharp UX-CD600 2-Line Fax Communica...d Answering Machine (click here to view)

That seems like the ideal setup for a single jack with two lines, in my opinion, unless you are looking for something completely different.

Hope that helps!
Posted By: grider Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 01:55 PM
Question

Why does it matter what line the fax goes out on?
Posted By: MacOSX Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 02:19 PM
Originally posted by grider:
Question

I was assuming the OP had CID related reasons, but still a good question.
Posted By: DJG Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 03:06 PM
I have e-fax which gives you a number all for free, the number might be from another state, but it's all free, also has the pop-up when you get a fax. so far it's been working fine.
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 04:39 PM
[b]]I'm helping out a friend. I'm not a tech. The house has two lines coming to a single jack with a L1+L2/L1/L2 splitter.
Okay, well at least we know where to start here!

Firstly, did you look at the link I posted earlier?

Sharp UX-CD600 2-Line Fax Communica...d Answering Machine (click here to view)

That seems like the ideal setup for a single jack with two lines, in my opinion, unless you are looking for something completely different.

Hope that helps! [/b]
That might work, but I want to use the existing fax machine.

It seems I could try something like the Comswitch 7500, but I'd rather spend less.

I could also use something like the switches at https://www.sandman.com/tkm.html . LED switch is nice so you know to switch back.

I still think a single direction splitter with two wires is a more straightforward solution.
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/25/09 04:56 PM
Originally posted by grider:
[b] Question

I was assuming the OP had CID related reasons, but still a good question. [/b]
One line (the voice line) has unlimited outgoing. The other line is the dedicated incoming fax.
Posted By: sph Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 07:47 AM
Ideally, the telco should be able to reject CNG (outgoing) fax tones on a per line basis if you'd ask them to. Then you'd just need an ordinary duplex adapter. Not that this will ever happen.
There's a product idea whose time is fast fading away: a dialer that rejects outgoing or incoming calls on a specific line depending on the tone frequencies. This may exist for all I know.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 08:06 AM
Just use the 4000P I mentioned earlier. Put the fax on the priority port, your phones on the other two and program it properly to do what you need.

-Hal
Posted By: upstateny Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 08:28 AM
It seems I could try something like the Comswitch 7500, but I'd rather spend less.

I could also use something like the switches at https://www.sandman.com/tkm.html . LED switch is nice so you know to switch back.

I still think a single direction splitter with two wires is a more straightforward solution. [/QB]
If you are going to use something like Sandman sells and you will need to manually switch it why not just put two jacks by the fax machine and when they go to send a fax they can unplug from the receiving line and plug in the sending line and then reverse the process when they are done.

In either case you need to do something before you send a fax and this will allow you to spend almost nothing.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 08:40 AM
I still think a single direction splitter with two wires is a more straightforward solution.

Unfortunately your understanding of the situation is lacking. The Comswitch 7500 or the LSD 4000P is as close to a "single direction splitter" as you are going to get. There is no magic way to do what you want without some electronics so what you are thinking about cannot exist.

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 09:25 AM
why a dedicated incoming fax line ?

run it all on the one line with "the unlimited outgoing"

buy a fax switch with the savings of only having one line
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 10:06 AM
Well, what I find happens is that companies have a published FAX number and another for voice. It's easy to change the lines around but a big problem to change it in ads, business cards and letterhead. So this is what you get.

Good point though. If this is just a residential fax and none of what I just said applies, why not get rid of the second fax line and use a fax switch?

-Hal
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 02:40 PM
Hmmm. Residence. Plug and unplug. Broken lock tab, "won't stay plugged in". Remember, it would seem the poster is trying to help what I charityly (is that a word?) label 'non-telephonic'. smile John C.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 03:22 PM
here's about as cheap as your going to find looks like it should work
(I would still look st dropping the fax line )

two line switch

# 2-Line Manual Switch
# ATT 2-Line switch
# Compatible with telephone company provided line rollover and caller ID services
# Allows single line telephone to be used on two different phonelines
# Works with phone, fax, modem, answering machine, caller ID, etc.
# No special installation required
# 2-Line telephone service required
# LED indicators show which line is ringing
# Also provides ability for user to select which line to use on an outgoing call
# Plugs directly into any 2-line modular jack
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 03:39 PM
I don't think that's any different than that Sandman switch he found.

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 04:11 PM
looks to me like all the sandman switch's have to be set to the line you want

just a simple transfer switch

the switch I linked to will ring through on either line but can be set to go out on a specific line

so faxs would ring through on 2 but it could be left to always go out on one

(assuming I'm reading everything correctly smile )
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 07:32 PM
Originally posted by skip555:
looks to me like all the sandman switch's have to be set to the line you want

just a simple transfer switch

the switch I linked to will ring through on either line but can be set to go out on a specific line

so faxs would ring through on 2 but it could be left to always go out on one

(assuming I'm reading everything correctly smile )
That product looks like it might work, but it is discontinued. Is there a replacement or other comparable product?
Posted By: skip555 Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 07:39 PM
take a look at this
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/26/09 08:49 PM
Looks like both are the same Skip. It will ring the a single phone on calls from either line but you have to manually select the line to call out on with the buttons.

-Hal
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/27/09 10:00 AM
Thanks to all. So the AT&T one has a manual switch and the Combine-A-Line has a push switch. Depending on the switch type, I may be able to hold down the switch with tape.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/27/09 10:37 AM
I don't think that's going to help you because a call coming into either line will get picked up by the fax.

-Hal
Posted By: bobley Re: Splitter, line 1 in, line 2 out - 01/27/09 04:40 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
I don't think that's going to help you because a call coming into either line will get picked up by the fax.

-Hal
Yes, I think you are correct. I guess I could use two of these to select line 2 in and line 1 out. I contacted the Combine-A-Line person to get some more details.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help