atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Matt1964 Opinions needed - 01/28/09 03:09 AM
My brother has access to a Nortel system (I don't know the model yet, so far he only has the desksets, but will be getting the KSU shortly). But from the looks of the desksets, I'm guessing it's a relativitly recent system, and looks to be hardly used. The company he got it from simply vacated the building and left the system behind.

My question (and please be honest): Do you think this is a project I could tackle, given my 1A2 tinkering? I know there is little in common between the two types of systems, and am guessing the real gotcha is learning how to program the KSU. As of now I have no idea what sort of documentation will be coming with the system, I'd guess little to none.

He already has a digital phone system in place, so I could take all the equipment home and tinker/learn about it here, and do the actual install at some point down the road - probably a long way down the road.

My initial recc. to him was to pay a pro to do it, but based on other threads I've read, most companies don't like installing systems that the customer already has onsite, and I can understand why.

Just looking for opinions, will post the model later today.

Thanks
Matt
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 03:21 AM
Stick to your initial recommendation. In a case like that, I don't think many would mind. It's when it's been bought off eBay or some other internet low-balling site that we have issues with.

With no Nortel training, you'd have a hard time figuring it out by yourself. Get the pro to install it & spend a couple of hours training you to program it.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 03:44 AM
Thanks Dave -

That makes a great deal of sense. Actually I think I may even skip the programming lessons, as I don't want to be the one who gets called when programming changes are needed. By then I'll of forgotten something, or some other thing I hadn't been trained on will come up.

Inevitably I'd probably mess something up and bring the system down, which is a position I don't want to be in.

Thanks for your post -
Matt
Posted By: grider Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 06:04 AM
Going with a Pro is best advice and well worth the price. Be careful in the selection process because every Tom, Dick & Harry out there is either an Avaya or Nortel Pro.
Posted By: KLD Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 11:51 AM
John, John, John.....such a skeptic.... help

Good Luck.
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 12:25 PM
Matt,

Sent you a PM. We can help you out.

Rick
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 12:25 PM
Ken, :nono: :nono: :nono:

Don't forget that you're "Upside Down" to the gurus that designed this great piece of technology.

It was probably designed that way so that the caller would be less likely to be "Put on Hold" too easily, thus the called party will answer their questions right then & there as they should. laugh
Posted By: hbiss Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 12:26 PM
That's something I never could understand. Both Avaya and Nortel are labeled as "trunk slammer favorites". I can understand Avaya, particularly Partner because it is comparatively easy, even has those CG friendly 8 position jacks for connection. But Nortel? Only reason I can see is that it is a very popular system but the difficulty in programming doesn't seem to stop the trunkers. Which is why I predict that the IPO will be the next Trunk Slammer Special.

-Hal
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 12:50 PM
I'm glad to hear someone else say Norstars are not so easy program. I always thought it was a hassle. 3 digit codes to perform basic functions... really? But the telcos loved to put them in so there are a bunch of them out there and anyone servicing phone systems will run across one eventually.
Now, to topic. IF, you can find a manual and have a chance to take it home, then go for it. IF, you can figure it out tell your brother you'll install it. The wiring is easy as it gets. Chances are it will work as is, but you'll have probably have issue of lines ring/not ringing at every extension. IF, you any doubt, hire someone who can do the job with confidence.
Posted By: Bolts Upright Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 12:52 PM
PS I assumed it was a Norstar. What if it's a Vantage? Yikes!
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 01:15 PM
Hal, that's because most internet sites just love to post all the passwords so as long as they have a manual they'll eventually get the EZ stuff done.

Bolts....Good Point! Never thought of Vantage. I've got 4 or 5 here with sets that I can't rid of... :bang:
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 01:21 PM
Dave, you want another vantage, i have an old one im using as a bench here in my basement next to the fireplace. At least its not one of those TIE sets bell loved to put in in the 80s
Posted By: MooreTel Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 01:50 PM
Jay, I've got one of those as well.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Opinions needed - 01/28/09 03:01 PM
Rick -

No PM rcvd on my end, but thanks for the thought...! I'm gonna go with a pro for the install. I just don't want to be the one who gets called when something goes wrong, I already deal with that for everybody and their dog when they have PC problems.

On that note.... Ken.... would you be interested in this? It's out in Grandview. Pretty much would be just swapping out the desksets and KSU, and whatever programming needs to be done. New Cat 3 cables and jacks were run to all extensions about a year ago. Pretty small office, I'd guess 8 to 12 stations.

I'm not sure on dates when all this might happen, and still don't have the model #. For all I know it's VoIP, but I hope not. If so, I'll probably just list it for sale somewhere.

On that subject, may I ask that no VoIP debates begin in this thread?

Ken, you came to mind immediately, although I don't know if you deal with Nortel systems or are interested in making the hike all the way to Grandview for sucha small job.

If not, perhaps there's someone you can recommend? There is a company in Grandview that I'm sure would do it, but I'd rather not use them.

Thanks -
Matt
Posted By: BTS01 Re: Opinions needed - 01/29/09 06:15 AM
Matt,

Email me, if you would. It must have went to a spam folder. Or click on our website and call me.

Rick
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Opinions needed - 01/29/09 03:41 PM
Matt, if you absolutely don't want ANYTHING to do with the system, tell your brother Nortel is in BANKRUPTCY. That ought to make him back away! smile John C.
Posted By: Malthegreater Re: Opinions needed - 01/29/09 04:23 PM
Funny, I have an ND4 channel bank sitting in my basement instead of a Vantage... I wonder what kind of collection we have as a collective of users here.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Opinions needed - 01/30/09 12:16 AM
I threw out my Vantage KSU's, kept the Esprit phones though.
Posted By: Matt1964 Re: Opinions needed - 01/30/09 03:04 AM
Rick hooked me up BIG time. Thanks Rick, everyone!

Here's some pics of one of the desksets.

[Linked Image from img105.imageshack.us]

[Linked Image from img105.imageshack.us]

[Linked Image from img217.imageshack.us]

[Linked Image from img150.imageshack.us]
Posted By: emmitt2727 Re: Opinions needed - 01/30/09 06:13 AM
Nortel may be in bankruptcy, but there are so many out there that they will be around forever. Besides, it's a reorg not a shut the doors, from what I read. at least not yet.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: Opinions needed - 02/01/09 10:02 AM
would you believe, those 7316s work on a 6x16 dr1!
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Opinions needed - 02/01/09 05:25 PM
Now THAT is astounding. a 7324 won't and they exhisted when the DR1 came out, correct? And I'll bet the 'E" part doesn't! smile John C.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: Opinions needed - 02/01/09 08:25 PM
but the m7100 also wont work on there! but yeah the 7324 dont work either.
Posted By: DigitelD Re: Opinions needed - 02/02/09 08:50 AM
Nortel is restructuring and will be around, their not going anywhere. I have worked on so many different manufacturers that I have lost track. I think the Nortel is the simplest to maintain. I guess it is just preference. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Opinions needed - 02/02/09 02:01 PM
Actually Nortel is harder than some and easier than others, just like every brand. "It's a synergy thing!" IMHO smile John C.
Posted By: Centennial Telecom Re: Opinions needed - 02/05/09 11:21 PM
Not sure if I should make this a new subject or not, but since it relates to pictures shown here, I will post this as a reply.

I noticed the sticker on bottom of phone, It says 'Made in Mexico', I have a customer that bought some 'Made in Mexico' phones online n lasted a month, I took one and opened it up and didnt recognise board as NT, that is only 'Made in Mexico' phone that i know of that I have opened and I have opened many NT phones that are 'Made in Canada' and even 'assembled in Mexico' but i do remember this 'Made in Mexico' phone and believe i still have it.
My question is, does NT have 'Made in Mexico' phones?
Posted By: emark Re: Opinions needed - 02/06/09 06:06 AM
hmmm...gives one pause to ponder...Canadian company, phones made or assembled in Mexico by Asian aliens!!!! LMAO!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help