atcomsystems.ca/forum
Ive got a CC macine that will not dial on a 48V POTS line, tried the same machine on another POTS line with 28V, it worked fine.
CC tech support guys say it will only work with a 24V POTS line..... anyone ever heard such a thing, do you think he was talking about the device transformer needing 24V or the line voltage.Its a brand new CC machine,been in the biz many years never heard such a thing, higher voltage booster needed yes, but lower voltage reducer ....
FYI, I plugged a fax machine and my Buttset and both work fine, but not the CC machine.
help please.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Credit card machine wont work on 48V line - 07/12/09 03:46 PM
Help how? Want me to help you put the CC machine in a box and send it back? I have never found a CC tech that knew anything about POTS lines or the telephone line side of things so I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

Where did you find a POTS line with 28v by the way, after a PBX or KSU?

-Hal
Posted By: grider Re: Credit card machine wont work on 48V line - 07/12/09 03:58 PM
Its a brand new CC machine

Did the old CC machine work? If the buttset and the fax machine works then thee CC should work, if not it is faulty, period. Feed it dialtone and your done.
This may sound strange, but I had a CC machine with a perfectly good dial tone, but the machine would not work until I changed out the line cord (I have no idea why). You may want to try this if you have not already done so.
You could also take a look at loop current on the line

Also be sure the cord is plugged into the line jack on the CC terminal and not the Phone jack
Thanks guys, I tried all the above, for some reason the 28V I got was from another POTS line that I guess was just degraded for some reason.I think we got a CC machine DUD.I was at a client the other day and at there MPOE I did see a little filter that reduced the line voltage from 48V to 24V ,I found it onlt because the Mircom dialer I was connecting it to, obviously would not work with such a low voltage. It is not a DSL filter or a relay , could it be a fuse.Ayone know what it is? Thought I would borrow it and see if it works on this CC machine.
Red Green in at 48V Black Yellow out at 24V, size about 1 1/2" by 3" white in color,I might be showing my ignorance here.
What kind of an idiot would design a CC machine to run on 24v AND need an external voltage reducer? :rofl:
Just my 2 Cents But, The Amount of Money The Customer is Paying to Try To "Make" His CC Machine Work He Could Have Bought Two New Machine's. Those Machine's are a Dime A Dozen.
Please, oh PLEASE, give us the phone number and name of the CC "tech" who told you about 24 V POTS lines. I wish to call him and have "an open and frank exchange of views" with him.

By definition, a POTS line is 48 volts. What instruments were you using, and what method of testing, pray tell, led you to deduce that you had a 28 volt POTS line?

And could you tell us how you came up with the name "George the phone guy?" I may want to get into abdominal surgery as a sideline, and I think "Arthur the doctor" sounds cool.
Thanks to all of you guys for the positive response,it is appreciated. Im sorry Arthur Bloom that I was not born a genius like you sir, Oh, I forgot maybe thats why there are tech help sites like this to help.......us village idiots.
What instruments were you using, and what method of testing, pray tell, led you to deduce that you had a 28 volt POTS line?
Genius or not, (hint: "NOT") I would like to have an answer to my question, so that all of us may learn.

There are traditional methods and equipment for testing all the parameters of a POTS line. What method, and what equipment did you use?

Please answer the question about the CC company tech support, too. We'd like to avoid any contact with people like that. They make our lives more difficult than they need to be.

You're not an idiot if you're a phone man. Just trying to find out what your level of expertise is, so we may help you excel in your chosen field. Sorry if the questions rankled you.

Arthur the Dentist
Posted By: hbiss Re: Credit card machine wont work on 48V line - 07/15/09 11:04 PM
It's like pulling teeth here to get any information, isn't it?

First off, the next time some idiot tells you that a POTS line comes in a 24 volt variety you should know better than to continue the conversation any further.

Dunno. A CC machine that is supposed to work on a 24v POTS line, then you actually have a 28v POTS line and finally you come across this 48 to 24v regulator thingy that was connected to a line with telecom color coded leads. And you wonder why we are looking at you funny.

-Hal
Posted By: A6 Re: Credit card machine wont work on 48V line - 07/16/09 04:37 AM
I know this is a stretch but I wonder if the machine is both POE data and POTS. POE can use a 24v line voltage, even though I am more accustomed to 48v, but it would not be analog. There would normally be separate RJ45 data/POE and RJ11 analog ports.

Are there any sell sheets or specs online for this device?
Getting back to basics have you tried reversing the polarity ?

(BTW I don't see anything wrong with "George the phone guy" it personalizes things

as to medical profession , there is a very successful pediatrician here in town "DR Ted " the parents have no problem taking their children to "Dr Teds Zoo " as the sign outside the clinic says the parking lot is always full when I go by )
Posted By: emark Re: Credit card machine wont work on 48V line - 07/16/09 06:21 AM
Sorry but I GOTTA add my two cents here...some simple lurking around this board should have told you that coming here with a handle like George the Phone guy would probably put you in the line of fire. Many of us here have invested 30 and more years of our lives in a profession learning and working. Most of us are proud of what we have accomplished and the skills we have attained. Over the past several years we have been bombarded by folks who have entered the industry through the VOIP world and who, in large measure, take GREAT comfort in letting their UNEARNED arrogance get ahead of them and seem to enjoy letting US know, either directly or indirectly, that we and our knowledge and experience is a thing of the past. A lot of folks here are VERY talented and bright, they can help you and will be happy to do just that, as long as you leave the witty handle at the door.

Sorry, I'm a grouchy old fart and tend to call 'em as I see 'em.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Credit card machine wont work on 48V line - 07/16/09 06:26 AM
Nahh, I have no problem with "George the Phone Guy" as long as we change the name of this board to "The Telephone Zoo". Thanks for the idea Skip.

-Hal
Posted By: johnp Re: Credit card machine wont work on 48V line - 07/16/09 11:17 PM
It may be just my opinion, but I have always believed the purpose of this board was to assist those in need of telecom support. Rather than ridicule a man for his moniker, we should be elevating him to such status.

Yes, this topic goes against all our knowledge, the basic premises holds no water.

If this guy isn't in need of our help, I don't know who is.

For sure this is only my opinion, YMMV.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help