atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mbhydro Take back the beep - 08/05/09 04:56 PM
Has anybody else heard about the take back the beep movement with cell phone voice mail?

I was reading about it today online and it appears that people are not happy about having to pay cell time to listen to extensive voicemail instruction before getting the beep to leave a mesage.

Here is a link to the guy who apparently started the movement
https://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/the-mandatory-15-second-voicemail-instructions/
Posted By: Mark K. Re: Take back the beep - 08/05/09 05:12 PM
I did my part. Good stuff.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Take back the beep - 08/05/09 05:13 PM
I agree completely. That is one reason that I have chosen to NOT have voice mail on my cell phone. Not only would it be wasting other peoples' airtime, but it also costs me airtime to retrieve the messages left. Not to mention, that would be a third mailbox that I need to check. Those people who know me also know how to reach me.

By the way, I do use the page function often with my technicians. I don't want to interrupt them, but need them to call when they get a chance. To just beep their phone is a non-intrusive way to contact them. Even texting means that they have to stop what they are doing to read the message.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Take back the beep - 08/05/09 06:16 PM
My cell provider has an option to press * and go right to the beep.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Take back the beep - 08/05/09 06:43 PM
With Verizon you just press 1.
Posted By: rustynails Re: Take back the beep - 08/05/09 07:02 PM
Sprint is the frickin worst. Pretty much 1 minute from ring to beep.

...it also costs me airtime to retrieve the messages left

Ouch! Who is your carrier so i can be sure never to use them.
Posted By: 5years&counting Re: Take back the beep - 08/06/09 01:54 AM
My voicemail greeting begins with "To bypass this greeting, press..." I also disabled as much of the additional instructions to callers as possible, including the one to "page this person..."

Justin
Posted By: djweis Re: Take back the beep - 08/06/09 09:12 AM
On my verizon phone I can turn off all the directions, I think some of this 'anger' is more a case of not listening to the directions the first time :-)
Posted By: emark Re: Take back the beep - 08/07/09 06:13 AM
I have the PERFECT cure for those who don't like the beep......DON'T FREAKIN CALL ME!!!!
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Take back the beep - 08/07/09 08:22 AM
I don't have a cell. When I go on an occassional service call, I take it, 'just in case'. If the customer asks for the number, I say it's my wife's and I don't dare give it out. That stops the customer dead in the water. Most of them are married and can relate to my statement. smile John C.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Take back the beep - 08/07/09 09:29 AM
my was GTE , then Alltel now Verizon cell VM has no instructions , I must have turned them off at some point

I don't mind customers calling my cell , I don't care how they call as long as they call
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help