atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: duncan_m Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/18/09 11:42 PM
Can anyone at Sundance explain why I'm getting Spam on the dedicated email address I used to sign up for the sundance forum on? The spam is for PBX goods..

The email address I used to sign up is unique to this forum, its never been used anywhere else and has never appeared on the web.

Anyone else getting PBX related spam on the email addresses they signed up for this forum with?

Duncan.
Posted By: jimmyv Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 03:03 AM
I received one telco and a dozen “other” spam emails last night… don’t know if they are related to this forum. I did notice we both have public viewable email addresses in our profiles.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 05:53 AM
PMs sent
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 07:39 AM
Duncan:

You keyed on it. It's your viewable email address. I went so far as to not even allow mail via the response form as at one time we got spammers trying to paste the spam into the form mail system. I personally allow PMs only now.

I see Merritt already responded, but I thought I'd explain for others that may be having the same issue.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 08:33 AM
That's a good idea Trace, I just changed mine. I can't say if I ever got any spam from here because of it since it was not a dedicated email account. I can say that I get spam through my company contact form that you can get to by clicking on the link at the bottom of all my posts. So far it's not been enough to be bothersome though.

-Hal
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 08:43 AM
I get spam from multiple places..Vertical, Startechtel just to name a few..A lot of companies come here and harvest email address then send a lot of spam your way...It's a sad way to market but that's the way they roll.
I personally won't do business with anyone who spams.
Perhaps we could name the companies that do this in a SPAM topic so everyone else can see it.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 09:06 AM
Good idea. Like Hal, I changed my access to no direct email. I get a lot of spam. Apparently somebody out there thinks I need a larger ______ .
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 09:27 AM
Wow, and I thought it was just me. Vertical and Startechtel are the ring leaders for sure. Good to know.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 09:28 AM
I have a dedicated Tech Talk email address I have my email hidden but still active by the form. I have not had any problem with spam on that email but get a lot from my business email.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 09:32 AM
Ive been seeing more spam lately too , my email isn't Sundanese specific

I did just go and make it private
Posted By: Fletcher Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 11:13 AM
I made mine private also - I thought I had already done that.

I've received a few spam emails from Startel Technologies Inc. I went to their site and "unsubscribed". I'll probably get more spam now.

Jack
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 11:20 AM
Marv, "Apparently somebody out there thinks I need a larger ______ ." You either, huh. Join the club. frown or should it be smile ? John C.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 12:23 PM
I got spam last night from

Startel Technologies ([email protected])
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 12:58 PM
Me too...they were banned from here for spamming board members...now they are emailing.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 01:09 PM
This is funny:
From Startechtels web site.
https://www.startechtel.com/privacy.html

Startech Telecommunications does not send unsolicited "junk" email (spam). We may use email to communicate with our customers, to respond to visitors' emails, to confirm orders placed online, and to send information that a visitor has requested. If you receive an unwanted email from us, you can simply reply to ask not to receive future emails.

Startech Telecommunications provides an unsubscribe function in its email campaigns in order for subscribers to opt out of further email communications from us.

Can anyone interpret that?
Posted By: MacGyver Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 01:59 PM
The bots are getting pretty advanced. In fact they can now not only fill in the contact us form, but they can read those terrible alphanumeric graphics that are supposed to eliminate them.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 03:19 PM
I can't even read them myself. Friggin bots are smarter than I am.

-Hal
Posted By: duncan_m Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/19/09 03:59 PM
Thanks everyone.. I didnt realise the Email Addresses were public by default.

I love unique email addresses for registrations on sites like these.. makes managing spam so much easier!

Cheers, Dunc
Posted By: MarcHaycook Re: Spam to Sundance Email Address - 08/27/09 02:55 PM
Originally posted by hbiss:
Friggin bots are smarter than I am.

-Hal
I think they were developed by an electrician.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help